• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV battery set up

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All,

I found this today, looking at the FMTV electrcial schematics.

Seems they use a total for 4 each 6TL batteries. I dont quite understand how they are wired. Can 2 of the batts be bad/low, and the truck still crank? Or do all 4 need to be good? I was told by my old maintaince NCO that the 900's use 4 batts, but only really needed 2 of them to crank up... Is that the same with the FMTV?

Anyone have any thoughts?

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are in series, parallel, just a confusing drawing. The bottom two are in parallel and the top two are in parallel and the two pairs in series.

There are 3 each 24 volt taps and one 12 volt, not familiar with the "tester" symbol, it usually symbolizes a fuse.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The tester is exactly that, a tester. if it glows, the batts work.

So with that diagram, how much jucie goes to the starter? 24V, Im assuming? And if 2 of the batts were dead, would the truck still be able to start? with just 2 batts worth of 24V, instead of 4 batts worth?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Two batteries in series should easily handle the 300 amp or so for a starter motor, so if you pulled two "bad" batteries you could still crank the engine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks