• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV Do You Leave your Cab Air Springs / Leveler Engaged?

scabskunk

I though i remember reading in one of the TM's that those pins were in prep for air transport also. I though you were to deflate air springs and use pins to lock support arm for the cab in place.
I will search and update my post if i do find it.

blozup

Well, unpinned I can understand because I've seen the other posts here where that pin (which is only for preparing the truck for transport, IIRC) is engaged when the truck is driven and it shears off the flange.

Not sure why it would be deflated though.

Duckworthe

Here is what I was taught in the military to operate the truck. While driving the truck the air bags will be unpinned and filled with air, on road and off road. When parking over night drain the tanks. When transporting the truck in an aircraft, release the air from the bags and pin the bags in the down position. This keeps the cab from bouncing during flight and possibly hitting the aircraft and damaging the aircraft and truck. this also includes using the suspension lowering rams to squat the truck for the needed extra clearance into most aircraft. I have seen guys not unpin the bags and fill the bags. Both actions will take place and after driving a rigid truck for not very long, the two tabs that the pins go through will fail and tear off. The comments to follow is always "wow, my truck is riding so much smoother all of a sudden"! As for the auto leveler, of course it will always be adjusting. Every time someone gets in our out of the cab, climbs on the cab, goes through a bump, it will cycle. I will say that the manual is incorrect when saying drain the airbags and pin the suspension to drive over rough terrain. If you believe the manual is correct, try it on your truck and get back to us all later and tell us how it goes. Not just driving around town or through your yard. Drive it how the Army drives it. As in "how an 17-26 year old would drive a vehicle that they don't have to pay for repairs on." I couldn't even tell you how many manuals in the military have errors in them. In the manual is a report that you can fill out to recommend changes or request clarification on a questionable wording. Problem is that to change a tech manual in the military is an act in futility, so few will ever do the steps that it takes. Everyone just goes by common sense and what the instructors teach them during the drivers training portion. There is my 2 cents. Hope it helps someone.

INFvet

Air springs driving condition settings

AIR SPRING DRIVING CONDITION OPERATION.jpg

This answered my own questions after I got further engaged in all the TM's. Thanks for the discussion hopes this helps others also.

INFvet

Quick question. I have seen a few screenshots of an animated/color comic book like illustrations of what I can only describe as "LMTV FOR DUMMIES". Being a new owner of a M1078 I think this book/publication would be handy to have around because it answers many of the beginner questions that are not explained well in the TM's. What is that name of that book and where could I get my feelers on one? Thanks.

319cssb

Quick question. I have seen a few screenshots of an animated/color comic book like illustrations of what I can only describe as "LMTV FOR DUMMIES". Being a new owner of a M1078 I think this book/publication would be handy to have around because it answers many of the beginner questions that are not explained well in the TM's. What is that name of that book and where could I get my feelers on one? Thanks.
do you mean PS magazine?
http://psmag.radionerds.com/index.php/Main_Page

coachgeo

It helps to be curious..... it helps to look around you... Your answer has been right under your nose all along.... it is in a sticky at the top of the FMTV Forum here on the Steel Soldiers bulletin board.

[h=3]Sticky: Army PS Magazine Index of all FMTV Articles with Subject, Issue, and Page Numbers[/h]

aleigh

I agree the manual is wrong, but I chose to believe what they meant is that if you deflate the bags, then pin the cab, or the cab flopping around will damage the bags. I leave mine on all the time, any terrain.

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, Don't drive your truck across country from PA to NV and then discover that the cab has Air Suspension when you get home... aua

I now leave mine on always.

Pointman

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks