• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV from Alanta, GA to Baltimore, MD

red99

Looking for prices to move a M1078 FMTV from Alanta, GA to just outside Baltimore, MD (zip 21784). Time line would be pickup in GA from 1/1/2015 to 1/9/2015.

Specs are 255" x 96" x 112" aprox 17,770 lbs. Currently running condition.

Mjvaden

You should count on $4 to $5 per mile and you are about 700 miles so about $2800 to $3500. I was pricing some trucks out of Texas last week and the prices were actually more then that.

3dAngus

Your best bet there, and cheapest, if it is running, is to let Ron just drive it up. He loves doing stuff like that, and is excellent in mechanical skills.
He would have to check it out and verify the worthiness of such a trip and might make some recommendations for improving it before the trip, but with the money saved from transport, you could afford to put it in the M1078 as an investment done for "free".
Ron is in the Atlanta area. His handle is "73M819"
Consider sending him a PM on it.

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I would NOT recommend "leadfoot transport" to anybody, let a lone use them again, even if they paid me to use them, dropped one mk15a1 off on Monday, was supposed to drop the other one off Wed., did not even here from them for a week, then it was the mk15a1s owner who called me, telling me they were 10 min. out. they could not even get a landall in my double wide driveway (took THREE TRYS, then got it off one side in the wet grass, not going anywhere, I had to UNstick the LANDALL with my wrecker.

My daughter could have done a better then this group, A KGR posted this, so you can guess what a NONKGR thinks about this.

I have had good luck with Leadfoot Transport, they are in Loganville GA, so not far from Atlanta. They have hauled 3 loads for me and are the first guys I call when I need something moved. If you can work around their schedule it helps. They are kind of slack on keeping in contact, but I don't mind calling them if I feel I need to. They don't have a website but you can find them on Google, or talk with Reckless.

Ronnie with Leadfoot has always been the driver on my deliveries, never had a problem getting the trailer where needed (last time he backed down road for 1/8th mile and then backed down long narrow driveway).

Remember, if you plan to drive it or have it driven, you need a backup plan. The cost to call a wrecker to come tow you off the road will greatly outweigh that of having it hauled from the start.

IF you have problems, the best option is to do everything you can to get it to a truck stop and then call someone with a Landoll to come winch it on a trailer, that way you are only paying the mileage and not having to pay a wrecker company.

EDIT: I have driven 7 trucks (at least) home from the auction lot, have had minor issues but never anything that kept from getting them home. We were coming back from the GA rally and my friend's 5-ton had the transfer case come apart (front output). He could possibly have kept driving it after we pulled the front drive flanges off the axle, but he didn't want to risk it. Limped it along the side of the highway a couple miles and got it to a truck stop and left it. Had Jim Henry come haul it to his shop a couple days later.

Last edited:

Reckless

Whichever way you decide to get your vehicle home, make sure the company has insurance, and proper licenses.

You want to make sure the company holds the proper licenses to move vehicles in commerce, and not some random know it all who thinks he can handle any task put in front of him. (Ie: the lowest bidder)

Insurance

Also make sure whichever company moves your vehicles has the proper business/cargo insurance. Insurance companies react differently when the item was used IN COMMERCE, and the business only has liability or no cargo insurance.

If you choose to get Ron to drive the truck you also have to take in account unexpected expenses and if he's capable of fixing problems on the side of the road. Then you have his costs of roadside repairs and or a tow bill.

Good luck!

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I for sure wouldn't drive it until you have gone over it from stem to stern. BAE may call these "ultra reliable" but experience here on this website tells otherwise. One guy had the front pinion bearing seize, another had the air compressor seize, another had water pump failures, all driving home from ATC. I know mine would have never made it home from Ft Worth TC. If your transportation broker can get you half a step deck, your rate may be around $2.00.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have Daniel Morgan (MDMorgan) recover the truck to private property. Then have Reckless/Leadfoot transport it. This combination worked well for me when I needed a M35 moved out of GA. Truck was delivered on time once the schedule was set.
JC

auctionaddict

I had Reckless hook me up with Leadfoot transport to move my NON RUNNER LMTV from ATL to north GA.. Great guys, great price and 0 problems. The driver was very skilled and professional..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks