• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV High Speed Gears

coachgeo

I'll be honest, the 3:07 sure puts my truck right where it feels like it wants to be...., but I'm pretty sure this ratio would not be for me.
Will see how it goes...... at this moment in time am sorta with you but for slightly different reasons..... Will not really be doing any towing much; yet I want some offroad grunt to remain even though it will have a camper on back. Upping the ratio a tad also by going 49" tires, and then turning up my 3116 to 290hp like yours; am expecting will give the right balance. Not as numerically low as the 2.87:1 but little lower than the 3.07:1

Time will tell.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Coachgeo are you actually in touch with, or representing the seller??? There's too much variation in the information showing up here.

XCRV

We had 2:87 chunks and a rear locker installed by Joe at MTP in Many, LA on our 2000 M1079A1 LMTV in November 2017. Joe indicated that he did not usually carry 2:87 gears. He probably doesn’t have any more. After that, with our stock engine (1999 275 hp 3126), max speed was around 74 mph according to GPS. The truck did not feel sluggish low end around town.

We recently had the 330 hp upgrade and corrected the speedometer. Best I can tell, the torque converter seems to lockup around 52-53 mph. I usually run 58-62. I’m getting about 7.5 mpg (60,000 BTU box heater uses diesel from same tank). Have not tested top speed since HP reflash. We really like the taller gears for our application. Drove some dirt roads in southern Arizona but haven’t needed low range or locker yet.

“The Lord bless you, and keep you ...” Numbers 6:24-26

LONDOGGY

I am in need of 2 sets for an LMTV 1088 Tractor. I also have a buddy up in Oregon in the market for 2 sets for the same rig. Anybody picking them up in Texas and taking them to Oregon or Southern California? What tires do they have there in Texas?

ramdough

I am in need of 2 sets for an LMTV 1088 Tractor. I also have a buddy up in Oregon in the market for 2 sets for the same rig. Anybody picking them up in Texas and taking them to Oregon or Southern California? What tires do they have there in Texas?
The 1088 has 3 axles..... Are you looking for two trucks worth of gears or do you have one gear set and need two more to complete the truck? I was confused by your post.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bardicg

How do we get in touch with Joe(in Oregon) for these 2.87:1 gears. Please PM me any information you have. Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

XCRV

We had 2.87 gears and rear soft locker installed by Joe at MTP Drivetrain Services in Many, Louisiana. Phone number sent by PM. At the time (November 2017), it sounded like we bought his last set of 2.87. MTP does (did?) work for the military so he may have more 2.87 gears by now.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We had 2.87 gears and rear soft locker installed by Joe at MTP Drivetrain Services in Many, Louisiana. Phone number sent by PM. At the time (November 2017), it sounded like we bought his last set of 2.87. MTP does (did?) work for the military so he may have more 2.87 gears by now.
I hope he bought more as I reached out to MTP in Feb of this year and he didn't have any 3.07 or 2.87.

bardicg

I just put in an order with MTP for 2.87 gears w/ rear locker. $5,980.00(includes $1,000 core deposit). Will be ready in a week. Thank you all for your help.

EA.surplus has some rusty ones for $1,975 ea.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I just put in an order with MTP for 2.87 gears w/ rear locker. $5,980.00(includes $1,000 core deposit). Will be ready in a week. Thank you all for your help.

EA.surplus has some rusty ones for $1,975 ea.
So basically the axles cost more than the whole truck.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
So basically the axles cost more than the whole truck.
Exactly, the cost of parts far exceeds what you pay at auction for truck! If you get a truck for $5k you may have $20k in it when it is repaired and finished.
But what a person needs to consider is the value of one of these trucks. Not the same as the cost.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What benefit are people seeking with 2.87:1 gears? Are you trying to go 80MPH?

I have 3.07:1 gears, and the >20% drop in torque (to gain the >20% speed) is noticeable. If I had the option, I would be choosing something between 3.9 and 3.07... whatever was just enough to get me a reasonable 65MPH top speed but keep as much torque from lower gearing as possible. Perhaps 3.4:1?

With 3.07:1, I don't shift into 7th until about 60-62MPH. With 2.87:1, that's going to bump up to 64-66MPH.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks