• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV / LMTV / STEYR / commonality of parts

Robin Craig

Does anyone have any idea if the FMTV trucks have any common parts to this style of older Steyr truck, I think this was the genesis vehicle.

I am trying to help a local fire department out with sourcing parts to keep their on the road. If they cant keep it safe they will have to sell it.

Can anyone shed any light?

Regards

Robin

Attachments

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
probably won't be able to tell unless they are specific parts...

M1078 LMTV, a baseline vehicle of the US Army's Family of Medium Tactical Vehicles. It was developed by Steyr and Stewart & Stevenson. It is based on the 12M18, but considerably redesigned. First production vehicles were delivered to the US Army in 1996. It was fielded in large numbers and replaced in inventory all previous medium trucks.

DSD277

The only thing that the FMTVs have in common is with the Steyr 12M18, and is sheetmetal parts on the early cabs. Everything else is completely different.

Nothing with the Steyr you posted pics of.
Dave

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only thing Steyr on the FMTV is the cab, everything else except for some steering components is US. Your truck has an earlier version of the Steyr cab than was used on the FMTV. You will have to go to Europe to source parts for your truck.

DSD277

The only thing Steyr on the FMTV is the cab, everything else except for some steering components is US. Your truck has an earlier version of the Steyr cab than was used on the FMTV. You will have to go to Europe to source parts for your truck.
Only the exterior is the same, the interior of the cabs are different. Dash is nowhere close. More commercial than military.
Before I bought my M1094, I had been looking to get a Steyr 12M18, but they are very popular in Europe and bring a hefty price, before shipping. Trucks are about 4000+ lbs lighter than a M1078 and sport hydraulic disc brakes because GVW is a lot less.

Robin
That trucks looks like a Steyr 90, possibly a 91

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Steyr parts are obtainable in Europe with a vin number. I went that route for fmtv parts but the mil serial number cannot be used for any cross reference.

Robin Craig

Thank you all for your replies.

Some knowledgeable and well known people on here, good to see DSD277 around.

So we have established that we have to go to Europe for parts, but where and who?

What is needed is a steering axle tie road and the rear axle rods that keep the axle centred front and rear.

Robin

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What about a good offroad fab shop ? They would be able to build a replacement . Just a idea.
This might be the way to go, for the tie rod at least. You could get a tie rod built with DOM tubing and threaded on the end so you just thread in the tie rod ends and use jam nuts to hold the adjustment.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks