• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV Lug Nuts

Cave Johnson

Digging in to this, I think this is useful, these being a non-metric item on the vehicle. All the mirror and door hardware is metric. There are quite a few places you can obtain these if you know the correct flat to flat, stud diameter, and threads per inch, which I sorted out per above.

Sunday morning scold for dropping an F-bomb (in a forum catering to vehicles designed to participate in the formal process of killing people)

Makes me feel at home really. My father is a retired officer and absolutely condemns use of curse words and has for my entire life at the very least.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Digging in to this, I think this is useful, these being a non-metric item on the vehicle. All the mirror and door hardware is metric. There are quite a few places you can obtain these if you know the correct flat to flat, stud diameter, and threads per inch, which I sorted out per above.

Sunday morning scold for dropping an F-bomb (in a forum catering to vehicles designed to participate in the formal process of killing people)

Makes me feel at home really. My father is a retired officer and absolutely condemns use of curse words and has for my entire life at the very least.
It'd a standard budd nutt for most of them.

Wa2006
Wa2007

At napa for the main lugs.

The lug nut for the ctis is a dual exterior nut. Also common commercial truck stuff.

Cave Johnson

It'd a standard budd nutt for most of them.

Wa2006
Wa2007

At napa for the main lugs.

The lug nut for the ctis is a dual exterior nut. Also common commercial truck stuff.
Exactly. They built these to share common components with commercial vehicles so they would not run in to the previous problems related to aftermarket supply of parts.

But sometimes it's a bit obtuse.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Exactly. They built these to share common components with commercial vehicles so they would not run in to the previous problems related to aftermarket supply of parts.

But sometimes it's a bit obtuse.
Ha no they didn't. Only about 10 parts on the whole truck have a commercial equivalent.

These trucks were based on their own design and for the military only. They didn't take an existing freightliner or mack design and incorporate it like AM General/Jeep/kaiser did.

Cave Johnson

Ha no they didn't. Only about 10 parts on the whole truck have a commercial equivalent.

These trucks were based on their own design and for the military only. They didn't take an existing freightliner or mack design and incorporate it like AM General/Jeep/kaiser did.
Intent and final result vary, but the point was drive train and other components. Things that wear out and needs to be replaced an readily sourced.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Intent and final result vary, but the point was drive train and other components. Things that wear out and needs to be replaced an readily sourced.
Ha no. You will have to explain how you get to that conclusion? Planetary outers are nothing like anything commercial. So lug nuts, u joints. Driveshaft yokes. Cause they didn't have a choice. Transfer case isn't common at all.

Last edited:

Cave Johnson

Ha no. You will have to explain how you get to that conclusion? Planetary outers are nothing like anything commercial. So lug nuts, u joints. Driveshaft yokes. Cause they didn't have a choice. Transfer case isn't common at all.
Ill get a quote from the retired English officer who was running part of the sealy BAE plant next time Im out at my farm and he rides by on a horse.

coachgeo

Think "commercial" is loosely defined........ well it got twisted to be loosely defined maybe. Found long ago the PDF that was the explanation/impetuous of the Paradigm Shift military went to in vehicle design/selection ....... aka... more commercial parts.

Likely lawyers for firms that build military equipment figured out work around(s). Like the cab airbags on the FMTV's by PowerPacker.... they fit the "commercial" definition likely only because PP says they can be utilized/available for sale to manufactures of other specialized "commercial" trucks so as large fire trucks etc....... So "commercial" became NOT to mean "commonly used / commonly found parts"...... but instead to mean the part(s) coullllllddddd end up on some other commercial type vehicle if a vehicle manufacture wanted to utilized it in their builds.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am currently up to my eyeballs in discussions of Commerciality with our Government. The availability for commercial purchase, and onesey-twosey examples of commercial use are necessary but insufficient justification. The end use has to be a typical, usual application for commercial designation.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks