• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV Power Distribution Panel PDP info

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While looking up some parts for the distribution panel, looks like the whole panel is made up of building-block components by Dill Blox, the same company that makes the diode modules on the PDP.

These components are listed in their on-line catalog:

http://www.dillblox.com/Downloads/021001-2_02.pdf has the generic parts for the PDP.

The diode modules located on the left side of the PDP are listed on page 16, part number 100690.

Looks like any damage to the PDP could be repaired with new parts from the original supplier (or we just get parts from our of our supplying members).

The following info concerns the relays found on the PDP. There are four types of relays used. Four terminal relays are SPST (single pole single throw) and five terminal relays are SPDT (single pole double throw). Then there's 12v and 24v coil types.

- 12 volt 4 terminal,VF4-11F11-S05, MSN 5945-01-360-3099

- 12 volt 5 terminal,VF4-15F11-S05, MSN 5945-01-382-8214

- 24 volt 4 terminal,VF4-11H11-S05, MSN 5945-01-360-6118

- 24 volt 5 terminal,VF4-15H11-S05, MSN 5945-01-488-5602

The relays in my truck are not labeled well. There's also no layout diagram on my PDP lid either. That makes identifying the relays a little confusing. Anyone have these labels, or a spare lid, available?

If you have the diagram, look for a listing with circled numbers 1, 2, 3, 4. There's a little listing on the diagram that cross references the VF4 numbers.

From reading problems found by others, it's common to find the wrong relays in the wrong sockets. If you pull your relays, as I did, and find a 5 pin relay in a 4 pin socket, suspect a problem is being caused. That's why my CTIS had no lights.

I did a quick test and found that a 24v relay will pull in (function) in a 12v socket. That could be handy to get you home in case of a bad relay. This could be an intermittent functionality though. Some relays might pull in at lower voltage and some might not.

Several people have already pointed out that a jumper with 1/4" flat terminals on each end can be used to bypass a relay. The jumper would connect the terminals closed by activating the relay, ie, the SPST switch pins. Be sure you know that you are doing before plugging in this short circuit though. You would not want to short across the coil terminals.

Some 5 pin sockets are wired so that a single switch closure is used (not using both SPDT positions). There will be only 4 pins in those sockets. W and E pins are always there but either the N or S pin could be missing. There's always a center pin on the 5 pin relays. They simply chose the NO (normally open) or NC (normally closed) switch terminals they needed. They don't put in the unused pin. So if you find a socket with the W, E, N and middle pins in place (no South pin), that's what they did.

The coil terminals in the PDP are in the E-W (east-west, left right) positions on the all sockets I have looked at. I believe that is universal, but test your's first. The active terminals are the N-S terminals, with the center pin as the third element on the SPDT relays.

Relays can be found by searching on the VF4 numbers listed above. This seems to be the TYCO part number but larger companies sites will cross reference other manufacturers p/n when you search. Lots of companies make the relays.

For example, Newark Electronics lists replacement relays made by Potter and Brumfield, and Omron. Just type the VF4 number into the search on their site.

If you have other observations, please feel free to add them to this thread.

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The relays are standard bosch style 12 and 24 volt spdt. Variations are all over the internet for a few bucks each. Dill wont sell you parts you have to get them thru a distributor and they want quantity orders not one or two. I have the replacement contacts and locking tabs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks