• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV Replacement Door Handle Upgrade

agazza2

Thanks everyone for your support...we sold quite a few kits ...would certainly appreciate any feedback from buyers (for our possible improvement and for the group at large).

I purchased a set in December and it was one of the best purchases I made for the FMTV. Installation time was very quick. I put masking tape over the complete area that was going to be cut out, then taped the template to the door, and marked the cut out area. I ended up using a jig saw to cut out the hole.

Very impressed with the fit of these door handles, and being able to finally lock the truck up, and know that when I go to open the door it is going to open. My biggest worry with the old handles was one breaking and not being able to get into the truck without removing a window. Thanks to FMTV trucks for offering this part, and their excellent written step by step install guide with templates.

I e-mailed them this morning for additional parts fabrication requests:
1. AC Bracket - rear that mounts to block under motor mount
2. Side grab handles for cab like A1's
3. AC crankshaft pulley
4. AC Harness kit (both types)

Also excellent work that was done on Seth's from Adventure Driven FMTV. Looking forward to seeing all the upgrades at the Overland Expo in Flagstaff this May. Will FMTV trucks be at the event with any items for sale?

Last edited by a moderator:

319cssb

The failure rate of the A0 handles is 100% within 50 years.
Thats a made up number just as the 40% is , without reference, I call shenanigans on it.

My 2006 has newer style handles . They look similar to many other Oshkosh door handles . So I think replacents will be cheaper, even with a 45% failure rate (that's right, I made that number up)

pontiac62

Sent Fmtv trucks an email about their ebay store. Their representative said they will be add a small amount of their items to the store. No specific items were mentioned.

I know this probably doesn’t answer your question but something better than nothing. I’d give them a call with your needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Man of few words

M1081 LVAD

AKAustria

Hi!
I am looking for the replacement kit, but for some reason eBay doesn’t show any products available.
Are you guys still around?
Would want to get one set, possibly two (since I have two M1083A1’s with both broken handles).
If they work as advertised, you get my second order/payment.
Thanks,
Andy

NV555

Another option for longer door handle life is to rotate the passenger door lock to the driver side. They work the same you just have to flip them up side down. So instead of having a pull up handle on the drivers side you would have a pull down.

This is would be like rotating times on your car. I mostly see people wanting drivers side items as that would be the side that gets most of the use causing the most wear of the item.

I really like the A1R pull forward design.

Just some thoughts from taking 30 doors apart the last few months. Out of 30 I have only seen one broken handle so far.

319cssb

There are several design changes that prevent you from just turning the handle upside down. Youll have to modify it to work.

koop1

Hello all-

Our Acela Monterras all get a door handle upgrade to the new style A1R handles (see pix below). We are considering offering a Replacement Door Handle Upgrade Kit and looking for feedback.

Kit would include:

• (2) New style door handles with locks
  • (2) New keys
  • (2) Handle gaskets
  • All new rods, new rod clips
  • Instructions and template for cutting

The only drawback is that you have to cut the outer door skin (see photo). We would include the cutting template for exact placement.

Kit would cost about $260 with keys, shipped (key codes generated randomly so we can't steal each others FMTVs!) - About half the cost of new OEM replacement handles!

Any interest?

Thanks for the input!

View attachment 710613 View attachment 710612
I would buy a pair.

coachgeo

there is a thread or two on how to swap to upgraded handles. they are available . commercial truck handles and likely same company that sold them to military anyway

MrMikey4026

I replaced the outside handle with locking Trimark door handles, replaced the door latches with double jaw Bearclaw latches.
If I was doing it again, I would use the single jaw, it fits better!
It is well worth the work involved, the factory stuff is pure junk.
Mike

coachgeo

I heard that they got frustrated with LMTV idiots
must have gotten REALLLL frustrated. Took me dozen attempts to contact them to try to get a little information about an engine they sold someone..... finally made contact by phone and the person on other end was utterly RUDE and dismissive. Was completely unwilling to do anything beyond get me off the phone as fast as they could.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks