• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV towing. Can it safely tow a trailer with two HMMWV's on it?

Dock Rocker

That would all depend on the trailer. The trucks will weigh in somewhere between 11k and 12k. With a reasonable set up trailer it would be a big deal. I carry heavier loads with my F250.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also requires a Cdl. Unless you convert it to an RV first. Truck is 17k, trailer around 5-6k, and and additional 12k for the load. Well within CDL territory of gross combined weight of 26001lbs.

Last edited:

Dock Rocker

Also requires a Cdl. Unless you convert it to an RV first. Truck is 17k, trailer around 5-6k, and and additional 12k for the load. Well within CDL territory of gross combined weight of 26001lbs.
This is very state depending. In many states as long as you are not engaging in Interstate commerce then you are not regulated by the DOT regs. That why you see papaw cruising through town in a prevose coach and no CDL is required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is very state depending. In many states as long as you are not engaging in Interstate commerce then you are not regulated by the DOT regs. That why you see papaw cruising through town in a prevose coach and no CDL is required. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good to know, WA is very strict. I was under the impression that the commercial motor vehicle safety act of 1986 that unified Cdl requirements applied to all states receiving federal assistance. And even under the fmcsa the modern version continues. But I haven’t read every state code and can only speak to WA code that I have read in depth. Being in law enforcement I was sure to have full understanding of my laws in driving my M1078, so my hobby wouldn’t affect my job. And if you cross state lines, reguardless of state code you are subject to the FMCSA. One cool thing in WA is you can register to a lower weight. So if your truck have a scale weight of 19k and a gvwr of 30k, you can register it lower to 26k and not need a Cdl but are limited in towing to less than 10k. My advice is only worth what you paid for it and recommend the best place to ask if you can tow what you want is to call your local law enforcement commercial motor vehicle division and talk with them. They will cover specific code and what not and let you know.

There are loopholes like farm exemptions, but they come with their own list of limitations. RV’s are exempt from Cdl requirements it’s in the FMCSA, and that’s why papaw rolls the 45,000lb mobile mansion with airbrakes on a standard license while towing a trailer full of cars.

Again dont trust what you read on the Internet forums as legal advice, read the laws for yourself and ask the guys who enforce the laws. That will keep you out of trouble.

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Of back to the original question of can it safely? Absolutely, as long as you have a correctly rated trailer with either air brakes to work with the stock trailer brake system or install an electric trailer brake controller. I regularly tow 10000lbs with my ram 3500. Just make sure you also research your states tie down requirement for vehicles. I know when I move my tractor around it’s silly but I have to chain the bucket down as well as the box blade on the back. Along with the 4 corners of the tractor. Two chains have the WLL to hold the weight of the tractor upside down, 6 to me seems excessive. Towing cars I always use 4, a chain at each corner. And I go to the axles so suspension movement doesn’t slack and possibly release the chains. For your load I’d just use the pad eyes and squat the rigs a bit with the chains to stiffen the suspension.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks