• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV turret cover gasket

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This heavy rubber gasket was found in the back of an LMTV when I got it. I had not seen one before. Is this a common item? Maybe it was used with the turret, not the cover? Hard to tell scale but it's over 4 ft in diameter, as is the turret port.

turret cover seal.jpg

Has anyone else run across one of these? Looks like it will seal the cover much better than the little rubber tape seals commonly used.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have never seen one. So you don’t think it’s for the cover, but possible a turret attachment? What is it about the gasket that leads you that direction. Are the bolt holes punched on a different pattern?

coachgeo

Google image search of Turret Cover LMTV comes up with a few pics of the tape mentioned AND the big gasket. So maybe the big one came first..... and later tape came into use or visa versa??

s-l1600.jpg lmtv-fmtv-military-truck-cab-hatch_1_bf44d55e69d9f38d90cac2d8c3155ec7.jpg

little off topic... but while searching that..... came across a Turret Adapter ring..... for adapting an HMMWV Turret to FMTV . Home brewed solution sold on a big auction site. description below. Thought the info about the M66 might be useful to someone hence bringing it up.

ad text said:
FMTV's and the later LTAS LSAC cabs all have roof holes designed to accept the old style M66 ring. If you want to put a hmmwv turret on, the military has an adapter ring but I've never seen one for sale. I had one made from 3/8" steel and installed it w/little trouble. The ring will come to you unpainted and w/some light rust. On a side note, you will have to trim a lip from the ring hole on the FMTV cab before you install the ring, as it will interfere with the install of the turret locking segments. I have enclosed some pics of the trimming that will need to be done. Trimming this lip took me 30min w/a Sawsall, took longer to clean up my mess than it did to do the work. I can send via Fastenal or other common freight carrier. Buyer pays all freight charges but I will palletize for free. ***PLEASE NOTE: Due to the high cost to manufacture this (uses close to a full sheet of plate) and the low-volume demand I do not stock these but will have it made locally to spec upon your purchase. It can take up to 2 weeks from the day of purchase to have this manufactured and ready to ship, so please be patient. ** AS-IS.

Last edited:

scottmandu

That is the turret gasket for the gunners platform. The cover uses sponge rubber seals. I had a truck come in that had a gasket on the turret cover and it leaked like a sieve.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks