• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV wheel and mount questions

HoustonDeuce

Does anyone have any experience mounting 395's with "ballistic run flats" on FMTV wheels? I've never mounted wheels before and wanting to do so this weekend. I figure with the two piece design and the fact that the ballistic run flats are already installed it will be pretty easy?

Last edited by a moderator:

M-1028

If its anything like the 16.5" hummer bead locks with run flats it's not hard at all. I'm sure the parts being bigger and heavier will make it more difficult.

DUECE-COUPE

the run flat insert need to be compressed to a flat "oval" and secured so it will not open while being inserted into the tire. best option is to sit on it and tape it with duct tape to hold it flat. insert it on end at a time int the tire, and rotate it so it will open up to a circle. cut the tape and allow it to expand to its original round shape. shift it back and forth to remove the tape residue, and then you are ready to install the tire on the rim. this may be a good time to check/ replace the valve stem seal, or replace the valve all together with a valve from a HEMMTT rim. they both fit, but the HEMMTT valve has less moving parts, and has a air valve on both ends. also make sue you line up the grove in the insert with the air valve as this is the only way air get into the tire. if it is not aligned, you will not be able to get a good pressure reading. also replace the "o" ring, or at the very least clean the groove, and apply a generous amount of RTV to help retain the seal. apply a light coat to the rim after you install the "o" ring, and insert the outer rim section. insure the air valve is aligned with the access hole in the outer rim, and then you are ready to start the nuts on the studs. one more thing, this whole procedure will go smoother if you place a 5 gallon bucket under the rim so the tire is suspended off the floor when you install the outer rim. this will give you the clearance you will want. PM me if you have questions

HoustonDeuce

Thanks for the help but I believe you are referring to standard run flats. I have " ballistic" run flats. The picture shows what I have.

They also have a thick ring floating around in the tire as well.

wsucougarx

I've mounted 395's on FMTV rims. Luckily the beadlocks unbolt and can easily be slid into the tire. As far as the 20 bolts, I just used my impact wrench to put them on with maximum settings. I did put antiseize on the threads before putting the nuts on.

AirRaid

The torque spec for the 20 bolts are: 210-240 lb-ft. I have been building military equipment for 10 years now and one of our designed trailers uses these wheels. We have specifically used Titan wheels for our application. You can also reference the information in TM-9-2320-366-20-4 (sec 12-2).

HoustonDeuce

Thanks for the torque specs. I wasn't sure if the FMTV TM's where available yet. I think I have the ballistic run flats figured out but I'm not sure how the ring mounts up. Anyone here have direct experience with ballistic run flats?

HoustonDeuce

Got it figured it out! Adxavier06 and i put in some work and figured out the easiest way to mount them. Besides for some bad valves stems it went pretty smooth in the end.

We figured out that the best way to mount the ballistic runflats and beadlocks is to line the run flats and bead locks up perfectly with the tire sitting on its side. Pickup the the wheel and slide it in (stud side facing down) with a little luck and lowering the rim evenly it should slide through both beadlocks and run flat. Flip the rim and wheel over, bolt the other half on and boom your done..

Last edited: