• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV wheel valve leak

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had an interesting troubleshooting experience today that might be useful to other FMTV owners. For several days the pressure on the air system has been dropping a little at night, requiring to be pumped up again the next morning. I had been unable to find the leak.

Today the leak was worse because when I shut off the truck I could hear air escaping from a point along the inside the left frame rail, about half way back. When I can hear it, it's a bad leak! Looked like a quick release valve was bad, QRV.

As I came out from under the truck it was apparent the right front tire was lower than it should be. I knew it was ok earlier in the day. Careful listening indicated air moving through the wheel valve, and right out the QRV.

When a wheel valve leaks its logical path is out the QRV. That is exactly what is supposed to happen when the CTIS module opens the wheel valve with the 15 psi, takes a pressure measurement, then dumps the QRV to close the wheel valve. If the wheel valve does not seal, the tire continues to vent.

So this became a fix-the-wheel-valve exercise, much easier than fixing a tire or replacing the QRV. Taking apart the wheel valve to clean it, I broke off one of the little bolts in the cover so I swapped out the wheel valve and all was well. The leaking wheel valve appeared just fine inside so I'll never know what was holding it open.

This experience could also serve as a warning that not much of an obstruction is needed to upset a wheel valve, so using any kind of balancing media in the wheel (recent thread) might be a bad idea.

Bob

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Sometimes the valve just need to be cleaned. Some of the rubber flappers start to deteriorate over time the rubber becomes almost slippery as it starts to break down. The chemicals coming out of the rubber cause corrosion on the valve metal parts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks