• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV Wheels with Goodyear MVT Tires

M1075

I recently purchased some FMTV wheels with the Goodyear MVT 395/85R20 tires. These tire and wheel assemblies are brand new and I thought I would try them on my M818 tractor. After removing the quarter fenders in the rear, they went on without any problems. I flipped the rear wheels so the front and rear track will stay the same. Here are a few pics:

Attachments

M1075

HeadWizard said:
LOOKS GREAT!

Now I want some for the 813.....

Where (if I may ask) did you obtain said tires/wheels?

:drool:
I bought these from a guy in North Carolina. They are definitely current issue.

jimbo*

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes,they are current issue. I was at RRAD a couple weeks ago, and got passed by a bobtail truck load of these tires going into the base. I know of a set of 4 tires for sale in Texas ($200 each) if anyone is interested.
M1075, I'm glad you got these mounted and test fit, as i'm still working on getting my M818 running. They look good.

M1075

jimbo* said:
Yes,they are current issue. I was at RRAD a couple weeks ago, and got passed by a bobtail truck load of these tires going into the base. I know of a set of 4 for sale in Texas ($200 each) if anyone is interested.
M1075, I'm glad you got these mounted and test fit, as i'm still working on getting my M818 running. They look good.
I'll take 4 more. Please send me the contact info. Thanks.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm glad you finally did what we have been talking about for so long, Jason. They look great. Now I wish I wouldn't have gotten rid of mine. Oh well.

BobS

Small sidebar info- I would pull the CTIS valves and hoses off those wheels and use the regular metal Schraeder valves, unless you really have the CTIS installed on your axles (obviously it is not in those pics where I can see the hub spigots).

Best regards,

Bob

M1075

BobS said:
Small sidebar info- I would pull the CTIS valves and hoses off those wheels and use the regular metal Schraeder valves, unless you really have the CTIS installed on your axles (obviously it is not in those pics where I can see the hub spigots).

Best regards,

Bob
I removed the one loose line that goes from the valve to the hub. The CTIS valve has a schraeder valve on it so I left it in place. I was curious how the wheel balances with (and without) the CTIS stuff. Some of other CTIS rims I have seen have a counterweight to offset the CTIS stuff. I didn't notice anything like that on the FMTV wheels. Any ideas?

BobS

The valves are expensive and could net you $50.00-$75.00 each to someone that has CTIS on their FMTV or 939A2. The amount of unsprung weight will not affect the handeling much, but good luck balancing the tires with them installed.

All I meant was that those valves look to be in good shape and are not doing you any good being on those wheels. Might as well make a few bucks off them and the hoses for someone that could use them..... :)

Best regards,

Bob

m52a2

With those larger tires your speedometer will be way off. you can correct your speedometer by replacing the "speedometer wedge" with one for 1400x20 tires. the speedometer wedge is the 90 deg adapter at the end of the speedometer cable underneath the truck. I bought mine from memphis equipment.

M1075

TheBuggyman said:
I usually do not comment on things, but, WOW! Suddenly my 818 is ho-hum.
That combo is perfect. Are the 395/85 tires a little smaller or the same size as a 14R20?
Yeah, the 395s are shorter than 14.00s by about 2", but an inch or so wider. I have always thought the 395s would be a good choice on tractors. I think 16.00s look out of scale on a tractor and are better suited to longer wheelbase trucks.

NEIOWA

Any idea what the NSN is for the FMTV wheel? Or other suitable 10 bolt wheel.

I need additional load/tire capacity on a M1022 dolly and thinking FMTV 395/85R20. Which is supposed to have a 10" wheel. M813/M1022 wheel I think is too narrow. FD project so I can get tires from DOD surplus. Wheels maybe.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks