• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

fmtv winter front cover .

snowtrac nome

I received my winterfront cover, I cant figure out how to install it, and cant find any references in the tm about it. Any one got any pics of one installed, -30 is coming in a couple days and I don't want to be fiddeling around than trying to get it on.

hs10

I have the OEM version and have installed several times. It is a challenge. I am exploring if an external version would accomplish the same thing and be easier to install.

coachgeo

I received my winterfront cover, I cant figure out how to install it, and cant find any references in the tm about it. Any one got any pics of one installed, -30 is coming in a couple days and I don't want to be fiddeling around than trying to get it on.
pretty sure their is video on youtube. Used it to put mine on

Update- of course now I can't find it. Not finding a write up in her either. hmmm?

Last edited:

Ronmar

I don’t know how effective an external one would be unless you can block that big gap between radiator and intercooler at the bottom.

I was thinking about one in 3 or 4 parts with some perimeter components permanently installed. of course this would be easier if they didn’t put the gladhands right there and run a bunch of other wiring and hoses around the perimeter:)

Last edited:

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don’t know how effective an external one would be unless you can block that big gap between turbo and intercooler at the bottom.

I was thinking about one in 3 or 4 parts with some perimeter components permanently installed. of course this would be easier if they didn’t put the gladhands right there and run a bunch of other wiring and hoses around the perimeter:)
I have a radiator cover for my M1083A1 but haven’t put it on yet. I have looked at the access area and it doesn’t look like it would be to hard considering other things that are hard to do on these trucks.
It appears to me that it covers from the bottom of the intercooler to the bottom of the radiator.
For my MTV I found the “Cold Weather Radiator Cover Installation/Removal” in TM is 2320-366-20-5 under chapter 18, 18-12, page 18-66.

The first picture shows no cover installed and the second picture shows cover installed.

Attachments

Last edited:

hs10

I have one of these. Anyone got pics of it installed?!
- Here are some photos of the cover installed. It is very challenging to get the cover past some of the hoses. Very difficult to get it positioned to use the top bolts, so I use paracord to secure the top section.

Attachments

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice. I'll have to attempt installation. Mine has never been installed but it could be handy if I head up to the mountain. The warning about not using it causing damage to equipment is interesting. :oops:

Ronmar

The thermostat doesn’t know what temperature it is outside And it being at the end of the hot side, it will repeatedly close the barn door after the horse has escaped. Repeated heat and cooling cycles from 180F to possibly below freezing is not conducive to long engine life. Diesels do best with a hot stable operating temp and this is difficult if the cooling system keeps feeding it large gulps of ice cold coolant… this can crack heads, blocks, warp oil coolers and cause seals/gaskets to fail prematurely.

Last edited:

coachgeo

In the PDF the Geo poste

dView attachment 883483
oh...... that warning... lol

seriously though, how warning was mentioned earlier left me thinking there was some warning about the covers known to causing damage from failure orrr...??? that somehow i had missed hearing/reading.

In my case.... by the 40f thing...... cover will be on a bunch

the writing of the WARNING in the TM though to me appears to tie to the "must remain on between -26 and -50" portion of the box... and not the whole "from 40f and below"

thought about permanently attaching it or something similar where the main cloth cover Velcros ..... like say the bottom half can be unVelcro-ed and flapped down and rolled up / tied back out of the way. or better yet flapped to the side(s) like opening curtains and tied off.

Last edited:

ramdough

- Here are some photos of the cover installed. It is very challenging to get the cover past some of the hoses. Very difficult to get it positioned to use the top bolts, so I use paracord to secure the top section.
That is a creative solution. Thanks for the pictures!

Has your fan ever cycled with that on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Third From Texas

oh...... that warning... lol

seriously though, how warning was mentioned earlier left me thinking there was some warning about the covers known to causing damage from failure orrr...??? that somehow i had missed hearing/reading.

In my case.... by the 40f thing...... cover will be on a bunch

the writing of the WARNING in the TM though to me appears to tie to the "must remain on between -26 and -50" portion of the box... and not the whole "from 40f and below"

thought about permanently attaching it or something similar where the main cloth cover Velcros ..... like say the bottom half can be unVelcro-ed and flapped down and rolled up / tied back out of the way. or better yet flapped to the side(s) like opening curtains and tied off.
Yeah, easier for me to just not drive the truck on the two days a year we get below 40 degrees here.

;p

hs10

The thermostat doesn’t know what temperature it is outside And it being at the end of the hot side, it will repeatedly close the barn door after the horse has escaped. Repeated heat and cooling cycles from 180F to possibly below freezing is not conducive to long engine life. Diesels do best with a hot stable operating temp and this is difficult if the cooling system keeps feeding it large gulps of ice cold coolant… this can crack heads, blocks, warp oil coolers and cause seals/gaskets to fail prematurely.
Great information, THANKS! The OEM cover appears to only cover about half of the radiator and just a small section of the air cooler.

I see temperature down to -35 - -40 periodically. At these temperatures should I also use a cover over the grill?

Screenshot 2022-11-01 190644.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks