• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FNG from CA with a M818 on the way need advice

yamaha415

Hey Guys just bought a M818 Tuesday and it should be trucked up to me by monday.

So heres what we have planned for it. Lockers all the way around, super singles, and a winch. Any other suggestions for a off hwy rig for pulling trailers up powerline right aways. Anyone ever stuffed a CAT motor in one of these?

Wheres the best place to round up some good super singles. I was looking at www.oshkoshequipment.com didnt know if I could find anything closer and possibly cheaper. Im new to all this so Im hoping you guys can shead some light on the matter.

Were thinking a warn 30xl for up front. And detroit lockers front and rear. Any recomendations for us before we tear into it?

Thanks

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
nopics
welcome to S.S. member onthis site that goes by 100DOLLARMAN would be a good source to check for tires he is located in lucerne valley cal.

Last edited:

shootiniron

Get ahold of Mark at 100dollarman.com with your tire needs or for that matter anything else,he'll be able to help without a doubt. He's in Lucerne valley CA.Welcome to SS too!

yamaha415

Get ahold of Mark at 100dollarman.com with your tire needs or for that matter anything else,he'll be able to help without a doubt. He's in Lucerne valley CA.Welcome to SS too!
Good deal. I checked out his website, can he get rims too for the five ton? Or do i need to look into fliping the hubs?

Fresh newbie getting into the 6x6 world so I dont know much about these monsters. All i know is the boss want a 6x6 to pull his trailers up the hills that our peterbilt wont go. He wants monster supersingles, lockers, and a 30k winch

Josh

Im going to assume the trailer is going to be heavy one? If so, 395's (46in tall), or 1400s(49in tall) would be your best bet. I see 1600's( 52s) will tend to rub in tight corners or on some trailers, they also cut into your power pretty bad. From what I've seen, for towing heavy trailers and going supersings, 395s are the way to go.

As for rims, Hemtt rims can be had pretty cheaply, and they bolt right on. Thats the way to go for super singles.

yamaha415

Im going to assume the trailer is going to be heavy one? If so, 395's (46in tall), or 1400s(49in tall) would be your best bet. I see 1600's( 52s) will tend to rub in tight corners or on some trailers, they also cut into your power pretty bad. From what I've seen, for towing heavy trailers and going supersings, 395s are the way to go.

As for rims, Hemtt rims can be had pretty cheaply, and they bolt right on. Thats the way to go for super singles.
Thanks for the tips Josh. Trailers wont be too heavy, probably around 40k including the wieght of the trailer. Mostly the roads we work off of arnt the best and often the more wheels you have turning the better chance you have on getting to the work location. I didnt think of the tires rubbing on the trailer that would be something to consider

Josh

395s have a weight rating of 14,000lbs per tire. If the truck was mine that would be the tire size I would go with.

Tread design is a toss up, cant really go wrong with the 15.5(XL pattern), the XMLs, or Goodyears.

Josh

I think you can flip the rims in the rear, to give an almost identical track, but as i dont own a 5ton, cant tell ya for sure.