• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FNG from Long Island

itsbrokeagain

Hey whats up guys, my name is Matt and I have a problem...lol

Anywho I dont know what got me hooked on these things, but Ive got the itch to get myself a deuce and enjoy something else other than working on cars all day long.

Im almost 30, and being in the car scene just doesnt seem to be cutting it anymore, and with half of my friends doing off roading stuff this seems to be like a nice abrupt change in lifestyle that would suit me :)

The biggest issue around here is the place to park it..I live in Farmingdale, right down the block from the new Army Reserve building they just built (mighty nice with all those HMMVS and M1078s parked outside) so its quite urbanized and I know the neighbors will not exactly like a 2.5 ton truck parked on the street being a huge eye-sore.

Renting a gated commercial spot is always an option, but Id rather leave it as a last resort.

Does anyone in Long Island have any ideas about how to get around this? I have met BENZTECH in person and his truck is really nice, but him being from Suffolk County the laws and I assume the people are a little more laid back and dont care that he parks a truck in his driveway....here..well its the land of the Dems and the nosey old ladies...they wanna know everything about it and if there is any law Im breaking or something they can do to tax me more on owning it LOL.

Hopefully before wintertime I will get my first truck..was going to bid on one this week down in Ft Dix but my plans to park it at my friends shop not to far away simply evaporated due to the town cracking down on any commercial vehicles parked outside or in front of a building..

Goose2448

Welcome to SS. I dont know too much about NY, but if its like most states, you should be able to tag it like a reg truck, or antuque. I know its not like FLA, antique tags are $10 and you display it in the glovebox:)

spicergear

Good luck. Town councils in LI can be a bit quirky. Definately helps to know someone...and do yourself a favor and try to NOT have to tag it as a commercial truck. That may help with parking...

LanceRobson

If a vehicle is at least 25 years old you can tag it as a historical vehicle . That would get around the commercial vehicle bit. You couldn't use it for any commercial purpose, though, and your town may have an axle count or some other issue to deal with. It is likely better to check before buying so you know what you will be dealing with. I suggest that if you do so you ask for specific references since some folks have been given incorrect info and have had that come back to haunt them.

NY has pretty permissive historical vehicle laws and regulations. The say that you "should" have another vehicle registered as your primary transportation but don't require it. There is no limit on mileage or how often you can use it etc although they say it shouldn't be your daily transportation.

My son and I have some deuces with historic registrations. The registration is about $25 per year, the inspection is $40(?) a year and for my M35A2C insurance, through JC Taylor, is about $68 per year for $300K liability and $6k comprehensive. Some companioes require that the vehicle be stored indoors so check that out before buying to be sure of what your total costs will be.

If you'd rather buy from a private owner there are several trucks for sale within a few miles of me. That I know of, there is a gas engine M35, an M35A2 with singled 11.00R20 XLs, an M35A2C (dropside bed) with winch and hard top, an M813A1 5 ton truck with winch and hard top, an M1009 and, I think, a really nice M1008. PM me if you want contact info. There are also some in the classified ads here on the site.

There is a really well put together MV show and swap meet at Gilbert, PA this weekend. You really ought to consider getting there if you can fit it into your schedule.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/upcoming-events/73756-bringing-looking-gilbert-2011-thread.html

2011 Gilbert Info

Welcome to the group. Good luck with the hunt for a truck.

Lance

itsbrokeagain

Thanks for the info Lance. Id love to go to the swap meet but the Gold Coast Concours show is in Glen Cove this weekend, and my shop has a booth thete and I drew the task of running it.

This would be my third vehicle (95 toyota pickup is my daily, followed by my 1985 BMW 535, which I drive like twice a year), so I dont think I should have a proplem tagging it historical. Regardless that stll keeps me off Southern State pkwy, the Belt, Cross Island, etc.

The M1078s are always on the highway, they prolly weigh as much as a Deuce but due to the single axle they slip under the radar better than a dualie double axle.

Around here its always the discretion of the trooper. Most think its cool and want a picture...a few will make your day miserable.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks