• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FNG has a M35A2 Brake question

Mark2X2

FNG has a brake question. Talked to the site manager at Ft. McCoy he said he would go start my M35A2 & see if the brakes worked. He said it was slow to build air & the pedal was rock hard. He also told me about your web sight.
My thought was the unloader valve on the compressor was stuck or shot. Can these be fixed easily? Would a valve from NAPA work in it's place? Any other thoughts?
Was hoping to take off Sunday & pick the truck up Monday & drive it home. So I have to get stuff together Saturday. A guy down the road has a Deuce, was going to see if the NAPA valve could be fitted in his.
Have to put my Boys to bed, will be back to fill out the profile & look around more. Any help would really be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mark
**EDIT**This is the Haldex air governor p/n MBI KN18530X Don't know if it's the right one, we will see. Reman $21.79 + a $4.00 core.
Would anybody have the TM on the M35A2? Would there be a trouble shooting section on brakes?
Thanks again!
Mark

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rock hard pedal with no air is a good sign. I'd be looking towards an air leak. the governor is pretty easy to replace if not and fairy cheap. Perhaps it's just a belt that is fried or loose? Perhaps the air tank drains are empty. Really need a looksee at it to be sure. When you go to fetch it, tell Mike@McCoy that the collective group says Hey!

If you have the pictures fom the auction, post the picture of the gauge cluster here. Mike runs the trucks for the pics and you can see the air pressure gauge. I hope it is simple like a drain valve or the E-glad hand valve being open a little.
BTW welcome, you are way up by Gitchagumee, how long does it take you to get to McCoy?

Mark2X2

Admiral,
Mike said the tank drain & glad hands were closed. Seems like a real nice guy on the phone, will tell him "hello" from you all. Will get rigged to replace air governor, seems like the logical first step.
thanks,
Mark

Mark2X2

Dr. Greg,
If the air gauge is the bottom left on the picture it's kind of fuzzy but looks low. Mike said he didn't here any leaks. Will remember that trick. He said the truck has been there since this past winter, the description said driven on to lot. Stuff goes to heck just sitting. Google map says 242 miles going through Eau Claire. Guessing 5-6 hours just me in the Deuce, but With my wife and boys following me, guessing 10-12 hours.
Thanks for the reply & welcome.
Mark

54reo

Lower right is air.
Usually.

Mike @ McCoy is the best GL guy to deal with by far. He will go above and beyond to help, that is for sure.

I have been lucky in that I have only had to deal with one GL personnel that I would consider a "ding-dong". But then again, I don't plan on getting anything else from MI anyway.

Mark2X2

Dr. Greg,
Arrived home about 7:30pm, it was an epic journey. Arrived at Ft. McCoy about noon Monday started trouble shooting. Pulled the air line from the compressor to the air governor, nothing. Pulled the outlet line of the compressor, could hold my thumb over it. Luckily I remembered a well driller I know who uses M35A2's, he had a spare compressor, air governor and -10 -20 manuals. Picked it up on my way. Had the repairs done by myself by 3:30. Took of from post with the fuel gauge reading 3/4 full, ran out coming into Tomah 9 miles away, slide into the fuel station a couple feet to spare, then a either start. The boys had been really good all day so we got a room at a place with a kiddie pool for a reward for my 2 1/2 year old. By time we cleared the hotel, started the truck, on the road by 10:20. Took Hwy 12 North, figured if it crapped out way better than being on I94, it ran tip top, held it to 2200 rpm @ 50 mph. Figured the extra 6 mph wasn't worth the extra 400 rpm & fuel. Meet the family in Eau Claire a little after noon for shopping and lunch, on the road by 3pm.
Truck looks pretty decent, hard top, new radiator, belts, coolant, drivers seat, & 6 tires. Minimal rust, one good leak on the transfer input, rest looks fairly dry. Has the extended canvas bows with metal roofing for a rear cover with plywood ends. Will make a nice drive through snowmobile shed with a few mods for next winter. Pretty happy with my new toy. Will post a few pictures in a day or two, if I'm allowed & can figure it.
Mark

Great job, sounds like you enjoyed your trip, you can exhale now. I have a M35 with the same "made cover" as yours, mine was from an engineering company out of Onalaska. I call it my M109 K-mart version. I think the bows and legs can be used for a soft top, you would have to shorten the legs. I will be doing a recovery with rev.chris, in the near future, of another truck like yours.
I guess everyone should take note not to trust the fuel gauge, I added 5 gals. of fuel at McCoy and the gauge went up a little to just over 1/2 tank, then closer to home I commented that the gauge was at 3/4 tank, "hey this thing is making fuel, what a deal", then about 2 miles down the road she sputtered and died.
Pictures are not just allowed, they are the only thing that keep the lunatics sedated, so post away.
Enjoy your new toy.

MikeInMccoy

Mark2X2, glad to hear that you made it home, I was told that you were seen in Tomah trying to get it started, you were gone by the time I rolled through.
Drgreg makes a very good point in that you should always bring some fuel when you pick up, especially when the fuel prices go up, I've had trucks brought in from across the state and they run dry taking them across the lot to take their pictures, don't know how they can estimate that well, and the fuel gauges usually are overly optimistic to say the least.
Well, I took today off, slept in, turned the phone off and I'm going fishing :-D(bait optional/beer manditory!) . Have a good weekend.

Mark2X2

Thanks for the help Mike, you checking to see that the brakes didn't work saved me another trip. Turned the corner into Arby's & she died, bought a can of either at auto parts store just down from there. Got it to re-fire & made the truck stop and topped off. Then parked it. Wasn't sure sure if I had a fuel issue or was just out of fuel, it took 40 gallons. When I had to un hook the return fuel line off the last injector, to get the compressor out, I heard the fuel gurrgle, then we had to either start it. It started right up in the morning and never missed a lick all the way home. Will definently bring fuel with next time! And 11/16" crows foot in the tool box, would have helped on the compressor. That mounting nut closest to the fan is a real bastard. Going to have to check to make sure it's tight.
Thanks Again Mike!