• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FNG needs advice

Thumper_n_Tx

Probably been covered before, so bear with me. I want to know what is involved with bidding on vehicles at a GL auction. I really want another M35A2 W/W, and seems you can pick one up cheaper through the auction. What are the pros/cons, and what have your experiences been?

Thanks for the info

scooter01922

Usually i would write up a long winded reply but white honestly you are about the tenth guy to ask this question in the last 2 weeks. I'm starting to see why the more senior members just reply with" SEARCH". Its not your fault that the other guys got here before you and asked but all the same. I'll toss you a bone this one time mostly cause all the new guys seem to put their repetitive posts under asinine titles that no one can ever find again so i can't just refer you off to most of them. I did a real quick search and this is a fairly recent one.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/requirements-new-members/35429-hey-everybody.html

Otherwise search is your friend, especially when that little voice at the back of your head says " ya know they MUST have covered this by now"
Welcome to the boards and good luck in getting a deuce, they are a blast and this is certainly the place for info on them.

scooter01922

Oh yeah, almost forgot. READ the suggested posts BEFORE you start a new thread. That goes for anyone not just you, they come up for a reason.:-D

Thumper_n_Tx

Thanks,
I already have one I bought from private seller and I love it. But like many others on here I'm getting the itch for another one. Just looking for pitfalls with the GL system. :-D

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gl is great! If you like to WAIT. And possibly get parts stolen off you truck while you WAIT. But just get used to WAITING.

mdog

Rule #1-Inspect before bidding
2-Assume the worst
3- Read the rules of GL and watch bidding awhile to learn market value
4- Start small to get familiar with paperwork and documents
5- Have a plan for getting it home

You can ignore all these rules and still have fun. Or a nightmare. Its pretty easy to see items being relisted because the first buyer didn't have bidding or money or paperwork or pickup or something properly planned.

poppop

I agree to inspect if you can. If you can't then stay on the cheap side so you can afford to fix things if need be. I got a nice Duece for $1240.00 plus fees sight unseen. It was missing the alternator, master ignition switch and one windshield which were all easy fixes. Mechanically the truck was sound, runs great, brakes and lights all work. A friend of mine bought two on the same sale but different locations. The one that he did not inspect turned out to be the best truck. It was also the cheapest because he put in the maximum bid he was willing to pay having not seen the truck and got it for less than that. Its better to get one as close to your location as possible so getting it home is not a problem. Many can be driven home if you are good at checking them over and making sure they are safe. Some Bases will not allow you to drive them off Base, so you need to know about that in advance.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Problems I've personally had/seen on GL vehicle auctions in only the last three months:
  1. GL description said dead batteries - during preview I saw that the truck had NO batteries
  2. Two of the 5 trucks I've bought had NO BRAKES. Only one of those two could be partially fixed by just adding fluid and bleeding.
  3. Saw a M35A2 with all new bows in back - except one that was rusty, pealed paint, and broken in half.
  4. None of the 5 trucks had any tools like a lug wrench or jack
  5. Two trucks of the 5 trucks were damaged by GL forklifts AFTER the auction photos were taken. (To be fair, GL did provide a partial refund, but I still need to repair them)
  6. The air conditioner in the aution photo of an M109, and which was there when I previewed it, was removed by DRMO while I was waiting for the EUC. They said it policy said it could not be sold with the truck - I now have a hole in the front of the Shop Van for free ventilation and natual flushing during thunderstorms. (We happened to have over 6 inches of rain between the close of the auction and the time I got it home.) I suspect they also damaged the soft top while removing the AC to the point that the stitching came undone along the front during the trip, and I need to buy another top.:evil:
  7. Saw lots of trucks during preview auctions that had flat tires (not just M35A3s), missing spare tires, missing tool racks, engine shut off switches that could not be pushed in (can't start the truck), missing ladders, other missing instruments, starters and engine parts that did not show up in the auction photos. Some photos have been of the wrong truck entirely, or have photos of a different truck mixed in with the correct photos.
  8. Only one of the 5 trucks ended up being exactly what I thought/hoped I was getting! And that was with a preview inspection on three of them.:!:
I'm still bidding, but I do so by fully accepting the risk that the next truck may end up being an expensive parts vehicle without all the parts. If you are only wanting to buy one or two vehicles, I'd recommend buying from an honest private party, where he can tell you what he knows is wrong with it (most of these trucks are around 40 years old, so there is always something that needs fixin'). You can take your time checking it out before you commit to buying it, maybe even test drive it. You can also pick it up on your schedule, and not just limited to Tue, Wed and Thurs in the two weeks following approval of the EUC.

Good luck bidding, cause you're going to need it.