• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FNG-Of-The-Day

flyBURopTIK

Howdy everyone!

FNG Here! (Well, I guess Im good with that title for a few days... lol)
Ive recently exchanged some money with our good friends at GL & started the uhh... 'Waiting' process for an EUC. With that being said, when I finially get the greenlight & go to pick up my new (to me) duce

When Im giving it once-over, is there anything in particular I should be paying attention to prior to getting it out on the open road?

Any tools in particular I should bring with me?

Assuming that it hasnt been driven/fired up in the preceeding 3 months, anything I should be on the lookout for?

Anyone have experience with diesel additives? Ive got a decent amount of milage inbetween picking it up & home, Ive been thinking of bringing a bottle of hammerdown (or if someone's got a better reccomendation?) with me & running it thru a tank to get the guts nice & shiney prior to a fluids change.

Seems like prior to joining here, I saw a thread about someone with a 2xxx series alison upgrade kit to be able to do some left-lane speeds -Anyone have any info on that?

Last one for the time being... Seems like Ive seen some people talking about locking doors? Im assuming this is using a key on the outside? Can anyone point me in the right direction for this one...?

Thanks! =)

KsM715

Howdy everyone!

Well you're good for a few hours anyways, I'm sure there will be someone "newer" in a few hours if not minutes.

Do a search for "deuce recovery" you'll have hours and hours of reading to get you up to speed on what you need to do a proper recovery.

Doors lock from the inside only. Unless you change the handles to an aftermarket handle with keys. I'll see if I can find the thread

This link should take you to the tail end of a very long thread where they are discussing door locks
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-...ing/45448-my-bobbed-deuce-almost-done-40.html

Last edited:

big1096

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy everyone!

Ive recently exchanged some money with our good friends at GL & started the uhh... 'Waiting' process for an EUC. With that being said, when I finially get the greenlight & go to pick up my new (to me) duce

When Im giving it once-over, is there anything in particular I should be paying attention to prior to getting it out on the open road?

Any tools in particular I should bring with me?

Assuming that it hasnt been driven/fired up in the preceeding 3 months, anything I should be on the lookout for?

Thanks! =)
There are a few questions that need to be answered before too much advice can be given.

Do you have any experience driving large trucks, in excess of 10,000 lbs?

What is your mechanical knowledge/ability?

Did you preview the truck before the purchase?

Do you know if the truck runs?

Is the truck mechanically operative?

GL has been known to sell trucks without all the necessary operative equipment (not limited to engines/transfer cases, etc.), so you may not be able to move it without a towing vehicle.

Assuming the vehicle is operative, one of the most important things is brakes. It's a single circuit brake system, so one point of failure means that the entire system fails. There are many, many things that can pose issues when attempting the recovery. Tires, batteries, fluid levels, body panels, drive train damage, and on, and on...

The good thing is that you've got plenty of time to study and learn!

Welcome! (from a recent FNG) :-D

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Brakes, brake and brakes. When done there check the brakes. You need to bring a brake bleeder and a gallon of DOT 5 to start. Be prepared to do a thorough bleed and inspect all rubber and steel lines. During your wait time I would read the manuals repeatedly and MAKE time to go and inspect your truck. Nothing like a set of eyes on it to make sure it's complete. Even if its a days ride away, be worth the comfort to know its complete.

Oh yeah, forget the desire to use the left lane. To do it safely will cost lots of $$$$.

flyBURopTIK

Breaks eh? Single circuit? WTF? There's no proportioning valve on these? lol Hmmm... This should be interesting...

Do you have any experience driving large trucks, in excess of 10,000 lbs?
Ehh... This will be the first medium duty truck Ill have owned, Ive driven a few medium duty 20ft'r moving trucks in my younger years tho.
What is your mechanical knowledge/ability?
Decent -Ive got the whole snapon wrench collection, working on sockets n' torque wrench now lol
Did you preview the truck before the purchase?
No
Do you know if the truck runs?
According to the listing, GL says it does
Is the truck mechanically operative?
The listing dident leave me with any impression to the contrary...

Oh yeah, forget the desire to use the left lane. To do it safely will cost lots of $$$$.
lol There are goodies involved above & beyond a new tranny?

On a side note, seems as though theres a decent amount of the crowd that has pyro's installed, is there anyone that makes a kit specific to these trucks or do you just use any pyro? (Banks, ATS, Etc.)

More sidenote'n- I was thinking about trailers & once I saw the M989A1 (HEMAT; 11k lbs empty) -I thought this looked fitting for the duce, but looking at the operators manual (TM 9-2320-386-10) -Fig 1-16, Table 1-3 its saying towed load rating is 6000lbs for all 3 A3's. Is it just me, or does this seem REALLY low for a truck of this stature?

Thanks,
op**** =)

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Welcome to the site. My suggestion is to download the technical manuals and read them. There is a thread on what to take to pick up vehicles. For more speed and if you can afford it, I suggest trying a larger tire size (53s are great) and for power JATO. It's probably the most effective method of getting one of these old trucks a boost. I bet you could even outrun a police car.

And recently there have been quite a few folks signing up asking similar questions so I'm sure there is additional information on those threads.

WoooHOOOO, let's burn some rubber.

big1096

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As others have stated, the best thing you can do is to make time to go preview the truck yourself so you can get an idea of what you're dealing with. The truck that you bought may indeed have been running when they brought it into the yard, and it also could have a cracked block or head, a burned out clutch, a trashed turbo, a bent drive shaft, etc. Or some forklift jockey may have bent the driveshaft or punctured the fuel tank after it was parked. Things you won't know unless you go and check it out.

If previewing the truck is not possible, read the many threads and stories about recovery missions. It will help to give you an idea about what to prepare for. The best thing you have is time to prepare and to expand your collection of really big sockets and wrenches! :wink:

Best of luck and enjoy the adventure!

CARNAC - JATO... nice!

baxter

Some buddies and I pulled 4 off Hill AFB last summer 3 drove out, 1 needed towed its just how it goes. DO read the manuals. Welcome to another Utah member.

Vaughn

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
I wouldnt plan on towing a HEMAT with a deuce. Its way to heavy.

I do not know why you can't. I plan on heading down to Carnac's home and will go to GL with him and tow his tank with my Silverado. We hope we can tow it and pop the clutch to get it running. If not we will just flat tow it home. I got my Harbor Freight tow bar, fresh from China and new Reese hitch. and the CHEVY to get-er-done....Besides who needs your darn manuals and that SEARCH button. if we have a problem we will just post the issue...

emr

I just bought this big truck that i have absolutely no idea how to drive how to fix how to check the oil , do they even use brake fluid ? there is no place to put any ,but hey i saw it was green , It is an Army truck ? what do U guys think? Do U guys use any tools ? later date... gee the Soldier just looked at me when i asked for the key and if he could go drive it out for me and give it a once over, and I saw some rust, do u think they will fix that for me? I mean I could not see it in the picture... LOL :)

Last edited:

Pooch1128

I do not know why you can't. I plan on heading down to Carnac's home and will go to GL with him and tow his tank with my Silverado. We hope we can tow it and pop the clutch to get it running. If not we will just flat tow it home. I got my Harbor Freight tow bar, fresh from China and new Reese hitch. and the CHEVY to get-er-done....Besides who needs your darn manuals and that SEARCH button. if we have a problem we will just post the issue...
:funny:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
My friend, I guess you picked the wrong day to ask some questions that probably should have been researched a little better. Don't consider it personal, consider it bad timing. Many of the old timers-me included- are getting a little stressed with the same repeated questions over and over and over and over and over.....again.

Don't worry, there are about 5 or 6 others that stepped on the landmine today also. Suggest regrouping and coming back in on this.

Regards

CARNAC

oddshot

Howdy everyone!

FNG Here!
Dang ...

I tried to get to you before it was too late. Sorry.

Welcome aboard nube.

*sigh*

Now that we got the pleasantries out of the way ...

READ THE THREAD BELOW IN ITS ENTIRETY BEFORE YOU SAY ANOTHER WORD.

FOLLOW EACH AND EVERY STEP THAT I LAID OUT IN THAT THREAD ...

ESPECIALLY the stuff about the Lord, God!!!

Its for you own good.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/65264-finally-got-deuce.html

Try to be of light heart.

Grow a thick skin ...

Read the manuals ... learn to do a THROUGH search.

Eat ALL your vegetables ...

And you will do just fine here.

oddshot