• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FNG With Questions

TacTeacher

I am looking for options for a 1986 CUCV Chevy Blazer 4x4 6.2L Diesel.

Please keep in mind that as an Army medic for 16+ years I'm very good at fixing people. I can barely change my own oil. :roll:

This will be set up as my command vehicle for work and will need some body work. The engine is in good condition and has been converted to 12V. I will be driving it back to TN from Miami the first week of Jan.

It will probably need to be converted back to 24V as I will be running some electronics on board when the project is completed. I was also thinking of Rhinolining the inside if the vehicle once the rust and repairs are made.

I don't know where any resources in the Middle TN are and was hoping to be enlightened by all of you. I would assume that you all are the experts here and I would tend to trust your opinions much more than someone who thinks that they are about to get paid.

Any and all assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I know I'm asking you all to build my CUCV for me in a way, but I am always open to suggestions and input. That's how greatness is achieved, by listening to others ideas.

Thanks in advance to all!!!

dilvoy

find an air intake muffler from a civi 6.2 truck, blazer or surburban and the rubber thing that attaches it to the air cleaner opening. If you keep the batteries in their military positions, you can't use the cold air intake hose for it, but the intake resonance sound is still greatly reduced.

acetomatoco

Don't forget to rust proof the bottom... or you will wind up with just a layer of rhino lining with no metal under it!!

TacTeacher

Rust proofing will be my first priority for certain on top of doing anything else to keep it from degrading. The "improvements" come after that. Fortunately I have a friend that does steel work so I have access to materials and welding equipment. I plan on installing an armor plate under the seating areas of the vehicle. I will probably replace the seats with something a little more comfortable and I'm debating on "command" chairs to replace the rear bench seat. Time to start looking at vans I suppose. The rear area will be primarily for storage so wheel hub boxes are in order there.

I do want to get a list of suggestions from you guys as far as what I need to do to the body, but more specificly the engine. I do not know my way around an engine so that will be my biggest challenge.

I'll list what I want in terms of performance and appearance and maybe you all can help me take it from there.

Engine: I want it to function well and have the capability to work hard if I need it to. The Addition of a heater would be good. AC isn't really an issue. That's what windows are for. It will be running two spotlights, an on board computer (laptop), two way radio, CB, and perhaps a small TV and AM/FM radio. I will also anticipate running a small generator from it as well for various small and short term tasks. I also need a snorkle. I anticipate a little water here and there.

Body: I need to rust proof it, but I want strength too. I will not be able to "harden" the outside but will desire some strength in the doors and floor of the vehicle in the seating areas. Steel plating of some kind would be my guess. I'll also Rhinoline the interior flooring. I think I can Rhinoline the exterior underside of the vehicle as well. Strong front and rear bumpers are a must. A good winch should be installed also. Windows will be shrouded in some way, probably the product that allows you to look out but not in. Not tinting, but it usually has a design for appearances on the outside. The name escapes me right now.

Suspension: I may raise it a few inches for clearance, and I'm considering a larger wheel.

All of this being said... I'm a planner. I just don't have the resources or the knowledge/information. This is my first vehicle project and I want to do it right. I definately want to do it right the first time. I want to make the A-Team jealous :lol: .

Bombard me with information! Fire for effect! Bring it in close!

Again, THANKS TO ALL!!!

P.S.: If you live in the middle TN area drop me a line. Maybe you can look at it in person and can point me in the right direction.

Out.

Jones

All diesels like; clean fresh air and lots of it-- very little to no exhaust restriction-- and good,clean fuel. If you can supply it with those then it should run good and strong with little or no "tweaking". Remember that the further away from stock, the more tempermental a vehicle becomes. All your mods sound like good, sensable ones and checking with other members here at the SS site will help keep you on the right track.
Depending on what you're planning to run on the 24 volt side, converting over may be necessary or it may not. The military uses an EMCU-116 Power Supply that takes 12 VDC input and turns it into 24 VDC output if your demand isn't real high. A DC-DC converter might be a consideration for you.

TacTeacher

Well scratch that ^%$#^%$# idea!!! Just got outbid and ran out of my current price range. I guess I'll start digging in the classifieds here. I will have one. I guess I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks