• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Folding ladder for front bumper ideas.

ToddJK

I'm having a dilemma figuring this out, lol. I have a folding ladder I bought from a surplus retailer and it's meant for the tailgate, but since I already have a ladder for that, having a ladder that is either mounted to the bumper or having brackets with pins to quickly put on and remove the ladder from the front bumper. I'm also trying not to block the winch if possible, I hardly use it but at some point I will.
Has anyone here done something similar? I know there's the stationary step, but with the 395 tires, I've already ripped the crotch out on one pair of pants, lmao.
I'm currently using a step ladder whenever I need to get too wide of the engine bay, but having an option that is quicker and readily available, even on the side of the road is what I'm thinking. I'm also wanting to find a use for the ladder as well instead of collecting dust, but if you feel it's not a good idea, I'm open to any suggestions.

I included a picture of the ladder and the front end of the truck as a reference.

If there's a thread that I missed from the search option, please forward it, otherwise I appreciate any recommendations or help anyone can provide.

(Administrators/Moderators- wasn't sure if to use this forum of the deuce modification forum so if you see fit to move then please do, that's my mistake)

Attachments

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How wide is the folding ladder? Is it possible to mount it to the outside of the frame of your stationary step? Line it up, a couple of bolt holes and done. Use a pin on one bolt hole that way it can be folded up.

If it's the same width, cut part of your stationary ladder, "sandwich" the pieces of the folding ladder and bolt it.

If it's wider, how much wider?

ToddJK

How wide is the folding ladder? Is it possible to mount it to the outside of the frame of your stationary step? Line it up, a couple of bolt holes and done. Use a pin on one bolt hole that way it can be folded up.

If it's the same width, cut part of your stationary ladder, "sandwich" the pieces of the folding ladder and bolt it.

If it's wider, how much wider?
The ladder is 14-16" wide. Where the mounting points are on the ladder makes it almost useless for the bumper, which I'm thinking of bolting on some brackets and drilling a couple holes in the ladder and using pins to secure it when in use and then stow away on the pioneer rack when done. I just didn't want to start permanently modifying anything without some idea's first. Good thought though, typically the step is the place to start.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure a ladder is a good choice for the front; real estate is rather at a premium. What I could see is improving the hard mounted steps with an additional cable step. Something like this: https://www.buyersproducts.com/product/cable-truck-step-772

5230912_45.jpg

The step is mounted on galvanized cable, so it pushes out of the way and bends when it hits something.

Also, on a high-off-the-ground truck, filling in the gap between the bumper and fender with a platform to stand on can be practical. Ladder....not so sure.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a military folding step for the front bumper of an M44, M39, or M809 series truck. There are a few on eBay. The step folds up, but comes down probably three times as far as the tailgate step mounted on the front bumper. They are really handy.

ToddJK

These are all great ideas! I do like the platform the Canadians used and the cable step idea. That's why I don't want to permanently mount the ladder in place because I know eventually it's going to get hit by something and I don't need it going into my radiator or tire, but also keeping the front clear should I use the winch.

dmetalmiki

Hmm, Don't know about ladders...I simply use an 'assist' post, and the under bumper step.
I arrowed a picture of my wrecker with same.
If you have the plate in bumper, then that's a bonus.
If I can 'Hoick' myself up with ease...(At my ( considerable ))Age..it IS quite do'able.
(tiny writing!..) "but then, if you are 27 stone and wide....!)....................it's..not.aua

Attachments

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My gripe with the military folding step is the pin/cotter pin. In normal driving, the step should be in the up-position, in case you hit something. So, to use it, you have to fold it down and pin it first. Guaranteed, at some point you leave the pin and cotter pin out and they dangle from their little chains until they don't. They fall off, get ripped off, etc. Using the step un-pinned is possible but a great way of hitting your shins on the bumper when the step suddenly moves (it's not pinned, remember?).
Yes, it sorta works but it is not a great design.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My truck had the steps from the tailgate on the bumper when I first got it. It was a kinda far first step. I then got some of the folding steps, much better! I did lots of bush wacking and hill climbs in the desert and never had any issue with hitting the step or having the pins and clips remove themselves from the truck.

https://www.eriksmilitarysurplus.com/frbustkitfor.html these are OOS and WAY expensive

There are some on e-bay for 1/2 the price Eric sells them for

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The two deuces I've owned both had the standard folding step and they worked great. The folding step on my M35A3 is mounted on the passenger side due to the presence of the oil tank for the hydraulic-powered winch on the drivers side. I agree that using the folding step without the pin installed is a sure way to slam the bumper into the shin. It only takes a few seconds to insert the pin and avoid this pain. I have never lost a pin or clip.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks