• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FONTANA Scrap Yard Run!!! Anyone care to join?

groundog

:driver: i BOUHT THE WAGON IN THE GARDEN DEPT OF HOME DEPOT---ITS A DROPSIDE---HA--HA---BEATS CARRYING YOUR TOOLS AND SMALLER ITEMS ---BIG MIKE---MY SON LIVES OFF OF MEADOW PARKWAY---PLAN ON SPENDING FRIDAY NIGHT THERE---GROUNDOG

Big Mike and the wrecking crew,

I have been on what seems like my death bed with food poisoning or what I perceive as that for the last 10 days. I went to the Dr. and he gave me "the miracle cure" but said if not better in 3 days I go into hospital. Mexican food wood kill me - Damn!!!

I felt semi normal today so I made it out to the shop to look at email and check on all y'all. Been off line for 10 days now. Feeling weak already and will not stay on here long.

Wish I could have made it there with all you guys - I loved it there last time. I have a whole new (read different) collection of the stickers you guys liked.
I got your home address in the PM Big Mike and I'll get them off to you soon - Will you never sent me yours for your shipment.

Looking at my deuce through the window and it wants to stretch it's legs badly. Maybe next week for the car show I registered for.....................

Miss you all,

Later

Gary

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Gary, get better buddy, I'm really hoping to make the next trip to Fontana as well. I'll be headed out to Barstow to pick up my trailer in a few weeks, is anyone picking up anything out there. Would be cool to meet up.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
fontana bounty

It was a great day at the yard. Not too hot, not too cool...just right. They keep getting more stuff everyday so there is always something new to see.

The gang consisted of...
bigmike
bigmike's wife
Tyler
Jon
Mark
groundog
Bkinzey

My bounty:
fire ext.
fire ext. brkt (new)
safety triangles off 900 series wrecker
document bag
canvas cutlery bag (will make a nice tool bag)
pass. side back cushion (excellent shape)
Low air switch (wrong one for my truck :( ) I will trade it for the right one!
(2)soft top bars with straps attached (NOS) "could someone explain what the straps do?"

Cost for my bounty $50.00

We all had a great time and are looking forward to the next trip.

Attachments

nf6x

Feral Engineer
My haul included a big snatch block for my wrecker, a small chain hoist, some metal wheel chocks, some jack plates, a couple of air hoses, a shifter boot and a pile of sea container pin locks.

One of the 5-ton trucks there had one of the sling bars for crane lifting on it. I hadn't seen one of these before, so I took a couple of pictures of it.

There was an M923A2 there that I wanted, but I don't have that kind of money right now. :(

Attachments

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Hmm, this thread still needs more pictures. Here are some lousy cell phone pictures of the junk that followed me home.

Attachments

groundog

:driver: drove over from Phx. Az picked up goodies for my 813---20,000 lb winch with frame extenders,front fender,chain hoist,12 ton jack,air cleaner cover that goes on top of fender,drivers side spring seat,will remove original passenger and have two spring seats,data plates for dash----had a load coming home---looking forward to next trip---Groundog

ems4ty

Here's my catch of the day...

Ok fellas, here what I got for the yard. Fantastic finds at a very reasonable price. It was a lot cheaper this time than the last and I feel quite a bit better about it.

2 lifting shackles for the front bumper
2 pins for the rear leaf spring lifting points
1 1"x4" pin
6 Wheel Cylinders - NEW
6 Brake Drum Grease Seals - NEW
1 "G742 Differential Repair Kit" as shown on the box - NEW
2 Rear canvas top bow with straps - NEW (Gave one to a friend)
2 Heavy Steel Plates with Handles
2 Fuel Filters for Gasser - NEW

All for $140.00 out the door!

What I didn't find that I needed - 1 Gas Tank for the 1953 Reo Gasser.

All in all, beautiful day, Met two new guys. (New as in new to me) Groundog and JD, and found a lot of cool things. This place keeps changing and had a few new trucks there as well. Hope to do it again in the near future!

PS. Polverone, Sorry to hear your sick. Take plenty of fluids and get lots of rest. Hope to see you on the next run and thank you for the reply!

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Quick question for you guys with snatch blocks. I have one that I took apart, sand blasted, and repainted. I was surprised to find there was not a bearing between the "pulley" and the center bolt. Has anyone else had on of these apart? Is your's built the same? TIA.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RodsRVF said:
Sorry I am new, what is this place? Can I get more info on it?
thanks.
This yard is very selective about who goes there. The best thing to do is join us on a group trip there. I'm thinking it is gettin' close to another run.

ems4ty

Me too! Keep me posted on when were going. Gotta get a few things that are stashed away.

Gimpy - Got no advice on the snatchblock. Don't own one yet... Cya!

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm game. Let's throw out some dates to see which one sticks. I'm good for just about any weekend between now and X-mas...except thanx giving.

redass73

Quick question for you guys with snatch blocks. I have one that I took apart, sand blasted, and repainted. I was surprised to find there was not a bearing between the "pulley" and the center bolt. Has anyone else had on of these apart? Is your's built the same? TIA.

gimp. the ones of mine I have pulled apart have had a bronze bushing in them but no bearing. which is better than one of our civi wreckers. the sheaves on the boom head are some type of plastic and have no bushings at all, and its rated for 25 tons.
rick

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks