• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

For a Newbie to these trucks, Can I get everyone to list what they had to repair/service/replace when they got their truck and over the next 12 months

JW7tonWY

I made the Journey to Yermo, was allowed to view my truck and make a list of to work on's. The People are absolutely wonderful at the site, they helped me OUT A LOT! Does any one have a line on one of these? I think it is Halledex 11445 the parts list I have says it may be part #
2590015896297 3895349 BRKT,GLADHAND SPRT,RH
Or
4730014730649 3005302 GLADHAND,SERVICE
t and were very patient with me. IMG_0715.JPG

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Just examine Everything. Same as one would do with an old Accord or Caprice or Ram or Ford Interceptor or MGC.
It is now up to You to preserve Her and make it better. What the heck has she been thru anyhow. Work, Work, Work.
Hey, You picked Her so now fix it, like being married..

JW7tonWY

No that was not the only part I think I am going to need, just one that I have the least experience with buying.

surprisingly the air seat switch works.
off the 5 hubs my switch blade metric hex tool was strong enough to open the oil was clean, no burnt smell no water slime.
All fluids checked were full and used but not burnt smelling or exhibiting any condition of abnormal state, no water froth for instance.
the batteries on board started the truck repeatedly with 15 minute running to charge intervals.
The dash ignition switch has a bad spot if you turn it to far, full to the stops and it acts like a bad battery, back off a hair and it cranks right up - thanks to the people here I have a keyed on for it so when it is released to me I will replace it.
The ctis operated by observation I set it to full air pressure and observed tire conditions, the sidewall sag present before starting went away, when I set it down it returned I could here the system solenoids firing as it adjusted air pressure, I reset it to full load to air up the tires before I shut it off the last time.
I was unable to access the Transmission dip stick, I will try what Elijah95 suggested when I go there next time.
I did not find an significant mechanical issues, wires at firewall were still good, engine ran as advertised system charged and air took no time to build up from 0.
I did find electrical issues. The 4-way flasher only works on front right, the left rear stop turn light does not work, the low beam on the left headlight is out. someone had wired the high beam switch closed so it did not dim lights, at the steering column I corrected that to test. I also found out my eBay purchased replacement head lamp also has no Dim power was present at the connector and it was in good shape.
The left rear stop turn lamp Bulb is Good one of the connectors on the back side the truck side of the connections was not soldered together with the wire, and there is no voltage on the line to the tail lamp, going to have to trace the tail lamp wire back.
more to come...

JW7tonWY

I did find several breakers that refused to reset, put in fuses, may need to do more, referring to the stop light issues and flashers, Does anyone have a map of the use/breaker box, would save me a ton of time labeling it as I go.
The diagnostic computer was dead. the fuse for it blown and replacement fuse did not revive it.
The description on my truck at govplanet said cut wires and hoses but did nor show pictures of same, On site I found one wire that was cut it was a bundled cable that ran thru the entire truck and was cut in several places, some places due to its size and location it looked like a hose for fuel or air others it looked like a wire. it terminated in the diagnostic box with round screw to connect multi pin metal connector, it appears to have been a radio cable of some sort. it was cut in three places and easily removed from cab.
My truck came with no mounted rear window, there was a sliding window laying in the cab, it was too small for the opening, but fit the gasket grove from the original window which was till there (window gasket/rubber), with much soap and water I was able to mount it into the stock gasket and into the cab of the truck, so now the truck has a sliding glass rear window that is very solidly mounted. will need to touch up it's frame as I did not have the right tools to do it with me and scrapped the paint from the aluminum frame in several places. I got really distracted by doing this wasted a lot of time to get it in but now there will be less dust blowing in the cab as all the windows are no there and closed.

JW7tonWY

the center round section is the standard head light, the outer section gives every indication it is IR, separate three position switch in cab laying on floor...

fasttruck

The pic in post 21 suggests that what civilians call the "bulkhead" fitting is missing. These are common items and parts houses that sell parts for commercial trailers with air brakes would have them. There should be a dummy coupler on the end of the chain in the pic that keeps nesting insects and water out of the brake system. The glad hand also appears to be damaged. Today these are unique to either the service or emergency side. Fitting in pic looks like it is on passengers side so that will be the emergency side and the correct fitting should be sourced. When operating the truck without an air braked trailer only push in the yellow brake valve in the cab and leave the red one, which is for the trailers out. The 809 series and 900 series trucks the Army uses also have an inline shut off valve at the rear of the truck maybe behind the rear cross member on this one.

Mustangsud

Our MK30 required a new windshield, driver side mirror assy., and a Cat idler pulley for the engine. Oh, and a Aero crank handle for the tarp. It had 358 mi and 48 hrs when we picked it up. We have about $1500 in repairs, with most of that the windshield. Looks and runs as new.

Camoguy

Our MK30 required a new windshield, driver side mirror assy., and a Cat idler pulley for the engine. Oh, and a Aero crank handle for the tarp. It had 358 mi and 48 hrs when we picked it up. We have about $1500 in repairs, with most of that the windshield. Looks and runs as new.
I ordered a tarp kit for my MK30 I was thinking of mounting it in the original position but I thought I might ask since you have one. Does it ever get in the way where it is? Do you ever wish it was mounted higher up on the cab shield?

Mustangsud

I ordered a tarp kit for my MK30 I was thinking of mounting it in the original position but I thought I might ask since you have one. Does it ever get in the way where it is? Do you ever wish it was mounted higher up on the cab shield?
It doesn’t get in the way because the low sides limit the height of the load. In our experience, the tarp clears any load that we’ve put on it that wasn’t high enough to spill over sides. If you decided to put higher sidewalls on the bed, I suppose it might could be too low in front. Right now, we don’t anticipate doing that, so the stock tarp system works great for us.

Camoguy

It doesn’t get in the way because the low sides limit the height of the load. In our experience, the tarp clears any load that we’ve put on it that wasn’t high enough to spill over sides. If you decided to put higher sidewalls on the bed, I suppose it might could be too low in front. Right now, we don’t anticipate doing that, so the stock tarp system works great for us.
Thanks Bud, that answers my question. I think I will just put it back in the same place. This will not be my daily driver either. Just a spare dump and maybe catch some (niche market) construction site shuttle service, or back property Dumps...

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Compared the old days of trucks at auction. Most of those trucks had under 500 miles on them with the RSMS trucks. Some drove long distances home. Some didn't. A lot more self recoveries and cross country trips in 5 tons and deuces over the FMTV and MTVR crowd.
In case something like what is pictured here happens, and I sure hope it doesn’t, you may want a roll of toilet paper on board!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks