• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

For Sale Wanted section

Artillerydan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The "For Sale" & especially "Wanted section" does not work.:???:
There is so much traffic (posts) that in a day or two your post is lost. When selling and most importantly buying, you want to ask people with the same mind set or vehicles.
Example the new radio section. Radio guys want to trade back and forth or are looking for specific items to complete their set up. If I posted a wanted radio item right now it would most likely never be answered.... Along with the other 5 wanted I have posted for other things.:cry:
I just think the for Sale / Wanted section thing needs some thought. It really does not work anywhere near as well as it could.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, this is the "SS main site improvement, update, suggestion" section. How about a useful suggestion or idea about how to improve the section and make it better. Something we may take under advisment and talk about rather than what may sound to some as just a gripe about a problem

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, this is the "SS main site improvement, update, suggestion" section. How about a useful suggestion or idea about how to improve the section and make it better. Something we may take under advisment and talk about rather than what may sound to some as just a gripe about a problem
I think he did make a suggestion, make smaller subsets in the classifieds so that people can focus better on their specific areas of interest. Right now its basically just a large hodge-podge, honestly I don't look at parts for generators because I don't have any. I'm sure the same goes for others and their areas of interest. JMHO.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Then where do we draw the line on new sections?

Trucks - Can't do individual because some parts work on several models.
Trailers - Can't do individual because some parts work on several models.
Radios
Generators - Can't do individual because some parts work on several models.

If you get more granular than general categories you end up with a bunch of new forums to manage with little appreciable payback.

Any other ideas?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Each forum can be searched individually. If I seek a radio quacker I can search the parts for sale forum using the keyword quacker. Lets say the seller doesn't know the quacker is a part. I can then expand my search to check all classifieds. Wanted ads are always going to be an issue because the one person that has the odd part would have listed it if it was up for sale. In my experience, few people go through a wanted forum looking to get rid of something.

Going to be a tough row to hoe.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
We're not going to further break down the forums. In fact, I mentioned earlier a lot of lesser used forums would roll into each other.

People simply will not list things out properly. (How often do you see a "How do I make my deuce faster" thread say in the conversations forum)

I personally try to search for people wanting things. (To move my items faster) But that's not to say that everyone does.

If you don't like the classifieds now, Guess you loved them before? (When there was thousands of junk listings) We simply can't "stick" want ads, it would defeat the purpose.

If you have a suggestion on the classifieds (Beside the previously discussed addition of sections), I'm all ears.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
People deleting their ads when sold instead of using them as B.S, thread would go a long way in cleaning up the classifieds.

KsM715

I liked the old classifieds. They didn't show up on the "new posts" list and there wasn't near as much general discussion in the threads. Just make a rule that there should be no discussion in the classified ad forums, just pm's between seller and interested buyers or if someone has a wtb or looking for ad and you don't have the part but know where to get it just pm the guy and tell him where.

just my2cents

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some people are just too stupid to use the Internet.

We can't be held responsible for those people.

Think that's harsh? Just read one page of todays titles and posts. Some people can't even write a sentence, let alone capitalize and punctuate.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I liked the old classifieds. They didn't show up on the "new posts" list and there wasn't near as much general discussion in the threads. Just make a rule that there should be no discussion in the classified ad forums, just pm's between seller and interested buyers or if someone has a wtb or looking for ad and you don't have the part but know where to get it just pm the guy and tell him where.

just my2cents
I had the new post button to exclude the classifieds section at first because of the mass uproar about it. Then I was getting "but people never see my ad" PM's daily. So I put it to a vote. The majority voted to roll them back into the query.

We have a hard enough time with people adhering to the current rules. Let alone we wouldn't have the staff to deal with policing that policy.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Also I've been pruning the classifieds after 90 days from the last reply. I'd say that I could prune 60 days of no replys now?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
60 days or even less, sounds like a good idea.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks