• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

For the M1009 Newbies: Maintenance/Repairs

epartsman

Water is the best as some of the solvents in store brand flushes can cause more harm then good if not totally removed from the system after using. Also remember after refilling the radiator to add some anti cavitation corrosion inhibitor which will extend the life of your cooling system. You will need to find a non a/c pickup as most civy blazers had a/c and they are different. Now would be a good time if you are thinking about adding A/C to acquire a factory A/c case however remember you will be starting down a Mod road like the one I am on which will require fabrication. I have already located a civy K10 p/u diesel with all of the A/C still intact that I will be installing in mine that will require 1 battery to be relocated, firewall cut, the bus bars moved, and some dash fab as well as a custom alt/a/c comp dual mount bracket which I will be fabricating on my own.

ARYankee

Water is the best as some of the solvents in store brand flushes can cause more harm then good if not totally removed from the system after using. Also remember after refilling the radiator to add some anti cavitation corrosion inhibitor which will extend the life of your cooling system. You will need to find a non a/c pickup as most civy blazers had a/c and they are different. Now would be a good time if you are thinking about adding A/C to acquire a factory A/c case however remember you will be starting down a Mod road like the one I am on which will require fabrication. I have already located a civy K10 p/u diesel with all of the A/C still intact that I will be installing in mine that will require 1 battery to be relocated, firewall cut, the bus bars moved, and some dash fab as well as a custom alt/a/c comp dual mount bracket which I will be fabricating on my own.

Yeah I was leaning towards just flushing a bunch with water. I wanted to check to see if any other CUCV guys may have used something that worked really well. As far as anti cavitation corrosion inhibitor, where would I get that? Local truck stop or auto parts store? This is my first real diesel. As far as AC, it would be nice to have but I don't think that I am ready to cross that bridge yet.

epartsman

A good product to use for anti cavitation corrosion is Motorcraft VC8 which is available at any Ford Dealer for $6.90 per bottle. If I remember correctly it is 1 bottle per gallon so you will probably need 2 but that should keep you until the next coolant replacement which is every 2 years.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks