• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

For the people asking if a turbo is a worthwhile upgrade....

Ilikemtb999

it would appear that you added a turbo to the engine and made a rather large reduction in emmissions. Good job. Details on the turbo etc?
It's a GM4 turbo from a 6.5 using the 6.5 intake manifolds, passenger exhaust manifold and I made the crossover and exhaust. I've been running it about 10 psi or so but turned it down to 5-6psi for the test because I didn't know how "nice" they'd be to it.

I couldn't fathom having to get a diesel emissions tested. Do they require all gas engines over 25 years old to do it as well?
Anything newer than 1976 I believe and that includes a sniffer test on a dyno. I think the cutoff for the dyno test is 2005 and newer and then no testing for vehicles 7 years and newer. Even better is I have to take the m1009 to a third party facility to test and it's $45 vs the $25 for my gasoline car. I have to take it every year and my car is every other year (being an 04)

Ilikemtb999

I almost never go over 45mph honestly. If I'm on the freeway I can sustain 65mph but really only the one in town as anything with elevation slows me down pretty quick. I see about 18-20 mpg though if I can keep out of it.

I'm at about 5,500-5,800ft of elevation though

Ilikemtb999

I just don't normally travel on roads with a higher speed limit than 45mph.

It's very different here as far as maintaining speed. Back in Illinois I could travel on any highway at 65-70 mph without issue. Here not so much.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Regarding emissions testing....

I don't know what is worse, the fact that I had to get emissions testing on a 30 year old diesel that never had any emissions equipment to start with, or the fact that the emissions testing standards are so low that a 30 year old diesel with no emissions equipment passed easily.....

mdeamicis

I am floored. Even here in the communist republic of california the the exempt status that these military trucks have means exempt, and even if that were not the case all diesels prior to 97 do not require emissions testing.

tim292stro

I imagine the turbo helped with the altitude. OP is in CO. I'd turbo any diesel that sees over 2000'. Diesel's are already a lean burn type of engine (as opposed to a stoichiometric engine like gassers, where O2 sensors help the ECU tune the air fuel mix right on the edge of rich burning). The air isn't regulated by a throttle valve like in a gasser, rather the amount of fuel is metered - which means you need at least enough air to burn the fuel, but having a surplus is preferred to handle scavenging and rapid throttle-up changes (thus "lean").

Off topic - I always wondered why modern hybrids weren't turbo-diesels with EGR+CAT+DFP - could have seen MPGs in the low 100s... 2cents

mdeamicis

Off topic - I always wondered why modern hybrids weren't turbo-diesels with EGR+CAT+DFP - could have seen MPGs in the low 100s... 2cents
Sorry if this is to much apolitical angst for a patriotic like SS. But to understand the hybrid thing along with everything else in our lives you have to wrap your mind around a simple buy frustrating idea. Things like hybrids are just lip service. Why would the Detroit motor club develop engines to burn so little gas when they are invested in the petroleum industry? Apply this thougt to everything in you life. Breath it in and accept it and then just let it go as the accepting what cannot and will not ever change so just be graceful about it. Spend significant time overseas and you will see a lot of turbo diesel in everything from golf cart to long haul. I would love to get my hands on an Asian turbo diesel by hino for my 2004 Tacoma Dcab and make it the beast it always wanted to be.

cpf240

The other thing to consider is that diesels just haven't sold well to the general consumer in the US. Gasoline has always been cheap here, often cheaper than diesel. Compare this with Europe where gasoline is very expensive, and diesel vehicles sell much better to the general public. That is starting to change in the US a bit... even CostCo is taking a chance on this by installing diesel pumps at some of their gas stations.

Ilikemtb999

I am floored. Even here in the communist republic of california the the exempt status that these military trucks have means exempt, and even if that were not the case all diesels prior to 97 do not require emissions testing.

Yep, I feel the same way but it is what it is. Anything newer than 1976 must have emissions testing. Only thing exempt is cars that are less than 6 years old.

I moved from a state where my cucv was an antique vehicle with no emissions to here. Theres been plenty of recent debate about if emissions testing is even benefiting the state. They've already relaxed the laws a bit this year, hopefully it continues in that trend.

southdave

Yep, I feel the same way but it is what it is. Anything newer than 1976 must have emissions testing. Only thing exempt is cars that are less than 6 years old.

I moved from a state where my cucv was an antique vehicle with no emissions to here. Theres been plenty of recent debate about if emissions testing is even benefiting the state. They've already relaxed the laws a bit this year, hopefully it continues in that trend.
Well they legalize pot...what do you expect lol

Regarding emissions testing....

I don't know what is worse, the fact that I had to get emissions testing on a 30 year old diesel that never had any emissions equipment to start with, or the fact that the emissions testing standards are so low that a 30 year old diesel with no emissions equipment passed easily.....
you got a good chuckle out of me with this comment!

I moved a few years ago but before I moved I got an email from govliq telling me that due to changes in legislation they were going to report my recent purchase to the state of CA. It had links to further information that said basically the state would at some point require me to have the m1009 smogged. if it failed the test I had the option to modify the engine to perform to current emissions standards or surrender the vehicle to the state for what they deemed it was worth!

Needless to say I deleted the email and moved not long after, but I was floored! I heard similar rumblings about surplus diesel generators and how the EPA felt the need to reign us (egregious violators) in.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks