• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

For the people asking if a turbo is a worthwhile upgrade....

Keith_J

Sorry if this is to much apolitical angst for a patriotic like SS. But to understand the hybrid thing along with everything else in our lives you have to wrap your mind around a simple buy frustrating idea. Things like hybrids are just lip service. Why would the Detroit motor club develop engines to burn so little gas when they are invested in the petroleum industry? Apply this thougt to everything in you life. Breath it in and accept it and then just let it go as the accepting what cannot and will not ever change so just be graceful about it. Spend significant time overseas and you will see a lot of turbo diesel in everything from golf cart to long haul. I would love to get my hands on an Asian turbo diesel by hino for my 2004 Tacoma Dcab and make it the beast it always wanted to be.
You have to show the link between Detroit and the petroleum industry. Reality is all auto manufacturers selling in the U.S. and Europe are mandated to minimum economy standards.

Technology is is advancing in leaps and bounds, today's direct injected turbo gas engines are as thermodynamically efficient as yesterday's diesels. And today's diesels are getting poorer economy due to SCR with urea injection, DPFs with their regen cycles and EGR. The diesel advantage is gone in new light trucks.

now, adding a turbo WILL reduce PM but at the cost of increasing NOx.

wcuhillbilly

TO the OP, When I lived in the Denver area, I had Turbo'd my 6.2 with a GM3 turbo from the 6.5... I turned the fuel screw up about a half to 3/4 turn (counter clockwise) and I didnt have much problem keeping up to speed,,, Granted I was running 3:73 axles and a manual 4spd trans, The second year I installed a Ranger Torque Spliter with a 27% OD and that allowed me to split gears and have an OD... I was getting low 20s for milage, and yes I was running Fry oil as the 6.2 loved the stuff. This was in the Crew Cab Cuccv clone in my sig. which now has the Cummins..
The 6.2 in any variant, benifits immensly by the addition of a turbo.... but definantly stud the heads, as 14psi will start to wear on the gaskets,, and the cooling system is a bit inadequite when trying to tug a 70 K30 back over Eisenhower ...

BTW I was in Gilpin Co so no sniffer up there... But running the Canyon was fun slapping two sticks and letting the turbo spool.....:jumpin:

Ilikemtb999

TO the OP, When I lived in the Denver area, I had Turbo'd my 6.2 with a GM3 turbo from the 6.5... I turned the fuel screw up about a half to 3/4 turn (counter clockwise) and I didnt have much problem keeping up to speed,,, Granted I was running 3:73 axles and a manual 4spd trans, The second year I installed a Ranger Torque Spliter with a 27% OD and that allowed me to split gears and have an OD... I was getting low 20s for milage, and yes I was running Fry oil as the 6.2 loved the stuff. This was in the Crew Cab Cuccv clone in my sig. which now has the Cummins..
The 6.2 in any variant, benifits immensly by the addition of a turbo.... but definantly stud the heads, as 14psi will start to wear on the gaskets,, and the cooling system is a bit inadequite when trying to tug a 70 K30 back over Eisenhower ...

BTW I was in Gilpin Co so no sniffer up there... But running the Canyon was fun slapping two sticks and letting the turbo spool.....:jumpin:
I'm in the process of putting 1 tons under mine with 4.10 gears so I'm hoping that'll really wake it up. I've had thoughts of doing a sm465 swap but I may stick with the th400 for trail use.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks