• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

? for the surge brake gurus

12vman

spent yesterday afternoon switching from 24v to 12v and hardwiring 4 pin connectors on my two M101A2. I also took them both out to test the surge brakes and now Im confused.

After reading mult threads on "surge brakes" it seems like you guys are saying that if the brakes are in working order that they will brake on reverse.

Is that without a load or w/ a heavy load they will brake? It seems that a braking trailer w/o a load in reverse would be a PITA ,

Neither brake in reverse w/o a load

Checked the MC fluid on both and the fluid looks brand new and full to the top

No crushed lines or leaks at the wheel

One trailer seems to operate fine but one will freakin chatter your teeth if you come to a hurried stop even w/o a load. It seems on that one the lunette doesnt move as freely as the one that works good. Am i looking at replacing the shock or bleeding the brakes???

Also on the one that chatters your teeth I cant even get a bolt through the actuator hole to deactivate the surge brake....nothing moves in there....I have temp put a screwdriver through there though

I need help

thanks!!!

LanceRobson

I suspect that if there is no build up of corrosion or crud in the tongue that the shock is bad. swapping the shocks between the two trailers would confirm or deny that guess.

The shock should keep the trailer brakes from actuating in most backing situations. Backing loaded over rough ground or up a slope may trigger the brakes.

If I remember this thread when I go out to the shop later I'll look in the -13 manual's troubleshooting guide and get back to you.

Lance

czechers1999

12vman, if it bug jumps when you are stopping it is most likely the shock absorber in the surge brake. I have replaced three on mine and that has always fixed the problem. U can get them from croft trailer supply. I am at work or I would get u the correct part number.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Change the shock. If the brakes are working properly, you won't know the trailer is behind you, during any kind of stop, fast, panic, or regular!

DAP

My surge hitch works great going forward. No chatter or herky jerky. BUT if I back up even with no load it will lock up the wheels tight and skid them. I have to put the pin in so it won't activate the brakes when I back up. Even if I push on the lunette by hand it will slowly move backwards and activate the brakes. I used a breaker bar when I originally bled my brakes in order to make sure all air was out. (sort of like pushing on the M37 brake pedal when manually bleeding). Are you really positive all your air is out of the system? My M116A1 is a little different. I added a M101A2 surge hitch cannibalized from a junk trailer and M37 disk brakes from Ray Suiter. Also a bit of diamond plate steel on the tongue in front of the trailer front as an aid to step over the M116A1 bed front. I also added a two wheel trailer jack as the tongue is way heavier than the tongue on my M101 trailer and M116 Pioneer Tool trailer (neither of which have surge brakes). Sounds like something is binding inside (or loaded with crud) if it won't activate on backing up. Just me 2 cents

skark_burmer

12vman, if it bug jumps when you are stopping it is most likely the shock absorber in the surge brake. I have replaced three on mine and that has always fixed the problem. U can get them from croft trailer supply. I am at work or I would get u the correct part number.
Can someone get me that part number?
I need to replace my shock and there is a wide variety at Croft.

Thanks

quickfarms

If the shock is working the brakes should not engage during most backing situations. If you stop hard you can feel the trailer slowing the towing vehicle if you let off the brakes. When properly set up and adjusted they work great. Try taking the actuator apart I have found several that were packed with dirt to the point that they were not working correctly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks