• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ford Backhoe use during the 1960s/1970s?

AMGeneral

Well,I guess the title says it all,were the Ford TLB(3500 and 4500 series) industrial loader backhoes used by the military during the 1960s/1970s ?

If so,does anyone have any pictures of them in use?

I am asking because I just agreed to purchase a mid to late 60s Ford 4500 TLB and I am thinking about "converting" it to look as mil spec as possible.

Attachments

monkster

I have a 4000 series or that is what the tractor is, the hoe is a 735, circa 1967. Would like to have it find a new home, runs, works, and digs. They are tough hoes.

AMGeneral

Thanks for the replies guys,I am still on the fence as to what I will do with it once I get it home,It definetly looks like a Ford sling loaded beneath the sky crane helicopter that Chief 919 posted.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bring it down when you bring the dump truck, we'll put it to use around the new AO!

I know, you have plenty of work for it right there though. lol.

AMGeneral

Well,after some thought today,I guess I am going to fix/restore it as a regular civilian 4500 with the standard Ford blue/industrial yellow paint. I already have enough green stuff in the backyard,even though I am downsizing again.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have one just like it, a real work horse, unfortunately with mine I use it an hour and work on it for three! But it still does more in an hour than I can do without it in a day! Mine does have only one seat that folds forward and backwards.