• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ford solenoid used to replace stater relay

Jakob

So I posted a thread a while back about my truck not starting. I finally got some time to get around to it. I couldn't readily find a stock replacement relay, so I grabbed a Ford fender mounted solenoid and swapped it in. Once I did that, the truck fired to life! What are the ramifications of using a 12v solenoid on a 24v system?

papercu

Nothing, I put one on a truck 4 or 5 years ago and it's still there. If you have to do a lot of cranking it may go out faster. Wayne

halftrack

You know you don't even need the relay. Just about all the trucks I have come across when they were overhauled they removed the relay and just connected directly to the starterd. It makes one less part to brake later on. I usually take them off the trucks I get and throw them away.

Jakob

I haven't looked closely at the system, I just threw the Ford solenoid in there. Do the two wires from the stock relay get wired together, then the signal wire go to the starter solenoid?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks