• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fording Thought

dcwilkie

How about running tubing from it up into the cab, mounting the ballvalve to the floor somewhere and venting out and back down out of the rear of the cab?

Heavysteven

How about running tubing from it up into the cab, mounting the ballvalve to the floor somewhere and venting out and back down out of the rear of the cab?
I like this idea could it be left vented to a higher location.

A check valve would work in theory, i would not trust it though.

Ball valve would be simple stupid

jesusgatos

a simple ball-valve attached directly to the bellhousing would work a lot better. If you attach a hose that goes any higher than the bellhousing, it's going to collect all the junk that you're trying to drain.

63sierra10

My only concern for the ball valve and cable would be that most ball valves are a little stiff to open or close. The cable may bunch up (even with a hard wire cable like the morse) when trying to push on it say to open the valve. Perhaps a stiff spring to assist opening it. An old enginge shut off cable that locks so the spring doesn't pull it open at the wrong time may be the secret for that.

Kohburn

how about a catch can with an air vent that goes up to the cab. no need for a valve, the catch can will collect all fluids fording or not fording. you just have to check the fluid level inthe catch can ocassionally and drain when necessary. This also lets you know how much fluid you are losing.

I've used this style on a lot of project cars before:
Universal Oil Catch Tank Can Kit BK RX7 RX8 Eclipse EVO : eBay Motors (item 280486108718 end time Apr-01-10 11:47:04 PDT)

never thought of using it for a fording kit in a deuce before but it makes sence to me. let the fluids gravity drain but keep the air exposure high up.

jesusgatos

My only concern for the ball valve and cable would be that most ball valves are a little stiff to open or close. The cable may bunch up (even with a hard wire cable like the morse) when trying to push on it say to open the valve. Perhaps a stiff spring to assist opening it. An old enginge shut off cable that locks so the spring doesn't pull it open at the wrong time may be the secret for that.
McMaster lists push/pull cables rated up to 110/170lbs. Don't think that's going to be a problem.

how about a catch can with an air vent that goes up to the cab. no need for a valve, the catch can will collect all fluids fording or not fording. you just have to check the fluid level inthe catch can ocassionally and drain when necessary. This also lets you know how much fluid you are losing.

I've used this style on a lot of project cars before:
Universal Oil Catch Tank Can Kit BK RX7 RX8 Eclipse EVO : eBay Motors (item 280486108718 end time Apr-01-10 11:47:04 PDT)
never thought of using it for a fording kit in a deuce before but it makes sence to me. let the fluids gravity drain but keep the air exposure high up.
That's exactly what I'm doing with the slobber tube. Got a RACOR CCV4500 unit that I'm planning on installing on Mah Deuce. Not sure the bellhousing drain is worth the trouble though. Think I'll just go with a simple ball valve and push/pull cable.

dcwilkie

Any way to mount the valve so you could reach it through the brake reservoir cover in the floorboard?
On another note, is there an official checklist to run through before attempting to ford? Would love to make a placard for that.

ODdave

what all systems are affected in fording, if i where to make my own fording kit what do i need? dose n e one have any detailed pics of what a fording kit looks like?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
what all systems are affected in fording, if i where to make my own fording kit what do i need? dose n e one have any detailed pics of what a fording kit looks like?
You may find this reading interesting...(Military Vehicles Magazine)
"Fording the Deuce, Part 1", Issue #93, October 2002
"Crankcase ventilation filter" , Issue #98, August 2003
"Fording the deuce, part 2" , Issue #107, February 2005

Plugging the bellhousing vent takes seconds, not worth the trouble of a valve, IMHO.

Attachments

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your fording more than just a river crossing or just being under water for more than a few minutes. I sudjest lossening the fan belts. The fan and water pump will love you for it. And the water your fording will chill the engine rather quickly anyway.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your fording more than just a river crossing or just being under water for more than a few minutes. I suggest loosening the fan belts. The fan and water pump will love you for it. And the water your fording will chill the engine rather quickly anyway.
Probably a good idea. The m656 8x8 series designed to swim, have the fan on separate belts, designed to give/stop when subjected to the water. The generator belts will not slip, allowing it to generate power for bilge pumps etc while under water. The water pump is not effected, it runs on the same belts as the generator.

Attachments

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The problem with the checkvalve is that the bellhousing will be pressurized by the fording kit. Bjorn is probably right, just as easy to climb under. That area needs to be able to drip to keep the area clear. Wow, old thread.