• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Forming a Rally?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you want to see a good example of a rally that is promoted here but doesn't consider it official' check out Dirtbag in Ca. Well run, good turnout and and some quality folk. Come to think of it, Dirtbag would make a great Steel Soldiers rally. As it is now, the organizers are able incorporate some other activities along with the MVs.

3dAngus

It has potential.

That is a huge facility, with really easy access.

I would look at seeing if it could be made into a combination Rally and MV Show- get the GA MVPA involved as well.

It was discussed before that there needs to be a southern Aberdeen- that could be it.
I think that is an excellent idea for a Southeastern Rally and would be a must. Not only would we want to see everyone have some fun driving their MV's th at are daily drivers, but we would want to see some really classy static displays everyone could drool over, including wives and family members. Not sure how much to bite off on the start where we would attempt a "First Annual" but don't want to not have enough where everyone might get bored and not reach a "Second Annual". Those things become tough calls and as I get more into it, if I approach it (havent talked with Clinto and others yet) there may be some insurmountable logistics and coordination issues making it so massive and troublesome it could kill a project from the start.

I promise I will contact the GA MVPA and see if they have an interest. Firstly, I would want some input like yours from SS members and then on to the Ga. Ag. Center to talk to their people and let them know our needs, to see if it is even possible to accomodate. As it is a State Facility that is going "For profit" and weaning themselves off State Funds 100%, there will probably be "charges and/or fees" that are not accomodating to the general population here and this side may not work either. So much to check into, but if it could happen, I think this is one first class facility that has the potential to host all our needs and much much more.

Thanks for your comments Chief.

Chief_919

I think that is an excellent idea for a Southeastern Rally and would be a must. Not only would we want to see everyone have some fun driving their MV's th at are daily drivers, but we would want to see some really classy static displays everyone could drool over, including wives and family members. Not sure how much to bite off on the start where we would attempt a "First Annual" but don't want to not have enough where everyone might get bored and not reach a "Second Annual". Those things become tough calls and as I get more into it, if I approach it (havent talked with Clinto and others yet) there may be some insurmountable logistics and coordination issues making it so massive and troublesome it could kill a project from the start.

I promise I will contact the GA MVPA and see if they have an interest. Firstly, I would want some input like yours from SS members and then on to the Ga. Ag. Center to talk to their people and let them know our needs, to see if it is even possible to accomodate. As it is a State Facility that is going "For profit" and weaning themselves off State Funds 100%, there will probably be "charges and/or fees" that are not accomodating to the general population here and this side may not work either. So much to check into, but if it could happen, I think this is one first class facility that has the potential to host all our needs and much much more.

Thanks for your comments Chief.
The GA MVPA used to have a great show in Helen until the city pretty much kicked them out. Just a show, but there was a great location with lots of stuff for people to do. Laid back atmosphere, fun crowd even if they were mostly jeep guys.

Some keys are-
Available lodging
Available food
Things for family members not into MV's to do is a plus

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have thought of trying to organize a rally here in TN. The problems I run into are trying to schedule around other already established rallies and trying to work around the TN weather (extreme heat in the summer and cold in the winter).

I think the state of TN is ideal because it is kind of in the middle of most of the member population.

3dAngus

The GA MVPA used to have a great show in Helen until the city pretty much kicked them out. Just a show, but there was a great location with lots of stuff for people to do. Laid back atmosphere, fun crowd even if they were mostly jeep guys.

Some keys are-
Available lodging
Available food
Things for family members not into MV's to do is a plus
Perry is a small sleepy town, but there are movie theaters nearby and the Fisharama with huge aquariums would be within walking distance, though a good walk like everything at the Ag Center. I volunteered there after retirement and know the buildings and facilities well. If held in Spring there will undoubtably be other shows going on simultaneously as they host about 200+ shows a year, so someone might be able to take in a horse show or RV show or something.

I have written a letter of inquiry to the GAMVPA and PMed Clinto and solicited their comments. Plenty of lodging within a couple of miles and food is available on site and off in town, a mile away. Air Conditioned buildings are available for vendors but they money, something we don't have. I am proposing everything be outdoors for now. If any possibility of hosting the first, we could consider changes for the next year where unlimited possibilities exist for this 600 acre facility full of buildings and barns and grounds.

stampy

Camping out and trail rides are a must in any rally in my opinion. I really enjoyed the Uhwarrie rally in NC. MASS as Neil named it (Mid Atlantic Steel Soldiers) yes he asked Chris for the OK. I agree we don't need to "clone " a rally that is successful and have it two or three times a year in the same spot as it may not be a special and it may offend those who put it together and make it successful. T shirts and hats always a plus too!

caliber1

Perry is a small sleepy town, but there are movie theaters nearby and the Fisharama with huge aquariums would be within walking distance, though a good walk like everything at the Ag Center. I volunteered there after retirement and know the buildings and facilities well. If held in Spring there will undoubtably be other shows going on simultaneously as they host about 200+ shows a year, so someone might be able to take in a horse show or RV show or something.

I have written a letter of inquiry to the GAMVPA and PMed Clinto and solicited their comments. Plenty of lodging within a couple of miles and food is available on site and off in town, a mile away. Air Conditioned buildings are available for vendors but they money, something we don't have. I am proposing everything be outdoors for now. If any possibility of hosting the first, we could consider changes for the next year where unlimited possibilities exist for this 600 acre facility full of buildings and barns and grounds.
Have been to several FMCA rallies at that location. Very nice facility, and it would be within driving distance from central Florida too.

Last edited:

lstmate

Any interest ing coming to the Evansville, IN area for one????? There is an offroading area somewhat close to where we held the MVPA convention......

highgreen

As many Ham Radio festivals "Hamfests" found out, the more years you hold it, in the same place, on the same weekend, the bigger it grows. At the Dayton hamfest, since 1952, people come from around the world, but they can plan 3 or 4 years in advance.... And a "Holiday" weekend is not necessarily off limits...

highgreen

What are the "Essencial Elements" of a SS Rally?

What are the elements of a "Rally"? A swap meet flea market, a parade, a street rally, a mud run, a trail ride, a hill climb, a tug-of-war, a gun shoot, a drinking contest, a bar-b-Q, a cowboy church, a truck beauty contest???

This is intended to be a conversation about forming a Rally.

A few questions:
- What constitutes an "SS Rally"?
- Does it need an administrators blessing?
- Should each event have its own name?

These questions came up after a recent event. Some members would like to have a similar event at the same venue. The existing event has been organized by one group for several years, and it has been a success. Is it proper to take over an event or should it involve the original event organizers?

This thread is not intended to attack or upset anyone, but rather to make our site and events better.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll pass on what I have learned from attending many non-MV events.

The essential measure of success is that people are having fun.

There will always be people who thought it should have been different. You shouldn't have charged anything, you charged way too much, you didn't charge enough. You should have hired a better live band, it should have been country, not jazz. There was not enough food and beer, the food wasn't good enough. It was too far, too expensive, the tee shirts were the wrong color, the stickers were too small. Not enough or too much of something. Too many rules and too strict or not enough
rules.
The larger the group, the more of this ^^ you will hear. It's group dynamics and it's a real pain.

The more complicated and full featured an event is, the sooner the organizers will burn out and the less fun they will have. The most common refrain from organizers is "next year you do it" or "never again". The chances are pretty good that the organizers will end up subsidizing the cost of the event to some degree.

Still want to do it?

What works:

Let people know that they bring every thing they need except for the portable restrooms, and that there will be a nominal fee to cover the cost of those. Order twice as many as you think you will need.

If people are entirely responsible for bringing their own fun, food, and drink, it creates a much more relaxed atmosphere where those deadly expectations we have of others are not a problem.

When you attend:

Bring lots extra of that signature favorite dish you are famous for to share with everyone. Bring with you an attitude that you are responsible for your own good time, and think of what you can do to add to others enjoyment.

Leave behind:

Any expectation that others will do what you want them to do.

As far as a turnout goes, if two people show up, count it a success!

goldneagle

I guess according to you fellas Timntrucks LA Rally s not a Rally! There are no trail rides or mud holes or hills to climb! I don't think he would be happy if we drove through his pond... We did have some parts swaps, and good food. Vehicle were on display for people to look at. We sat around and had a good time telling stories and talking about the hobby. We even had some repairs done on member's vehicles by the experts in the group.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I guess according to you fellas Timntrucks LA Rally s not a Rally! There are no trail rides or mud holes or hills to climb! I don't think he would be happy if we drove through his pond... We did have some parts swaps, and good food. Vehicle were on display for people to look at. We sat around and had a good time telling stories and talking about the hobby. We even had some repairs done on member's vehicles by the experts in the group.
DO NOT see this at all, the question was"what makes a rally" the number one thing is to have fun, no two rallies are the same, Tims started out just like just like the GA rally, small with a few and turned into a good size get together, both are different but still a rally, it is the PEOPLE behind the rally that makes the rally, If it sucks at first, there will be no second, then it is the FEEL of the rally that makes people want to come, (easy going, everybody feel welcome, a family feeling). Again the bottom line is HAVING FUN

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks