• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fort Custer Trail Ride Michigan

ida34

I am all set to be there Saturday. I have directions to the Main Gate but where do I go from there? We do go to the main gate, right? Any veterans please let me know something. Will the gate guards know where I need to go?

Thanks
Chuck

kc8sfq

Hi Chuck:
Coming down I'94, get off at exit 92. go towards town (NE). Stay on B.L.94. At the split (about two miles) stay left, you are still on the B.L. at the second lite (Hill/Brady road), turn left. Stay on Hill/Brady to the first light. (that should be Denso Rd) You'll go about 3/4 mile and the gate will be on your left. There should be MVPA signs up on post to lead you to Lawler cemetary.

ida34

Is there going to be a two meter net set up? If so Freqs please. My son and I will have our two meter handhelds.

TedG

Chuck,

I do not know about the frequency stuff. I do know that Friday and Friday night is chance of storms, which translates to mud!

If all goes well, I will get there Saturday am. I sold my last tow bar (and my new ones are not in yet) so now I am in deep do do if I break down.

Regards

ida34

I am bringing my towbar so I got you covered. The Freq stuff was answered by PM and in the Ham Radio thread. Here is a copy of the reply.

Hi All:
We are planning details for the Ft Custer trail ride this weekend. I just received a message from a member regarding what COMMO we'll be using. The plan is to monitor the W8HVG linked repeater system and the Battle Creek local repeater, until we get camp set up. At that time, we'll be switching to 147.58 simplex for COMMO on post. With this setup, we can keep in touch with hams, in most cases, all the way on their trip. This will give a safety net for those coming from a ways away.

The Battle Creek repeater is 146.66 - with a 94.8 PL. For those of you who are interested, look up the Independent Repeater Association at: W8HVG.org That thing is fantastic. We can stay in touch over most of the lower peninsula and in many places, we can open it with just a handy talky. Pretty cool COMMO

OK...OK... Soapbox now returned to the stowed position.

Hopefully, I'll have some pix to offer next week.

TedG

My truck is packed! should be on site Saturday around 9:30 barring any problems...lots of 'just in case' items!

citizensoldier

Godspeed guys! Wish I could make it but too far for me this year.. Make sure you post up some pictures for us Michiganders would you! Well we almost lost Camp Grayling two days ago but all is well now.. Only 1100 acres burned and we finally got some rain.. You could see the smoke as far north as East Jordon..

Rattlehead

The PLS demo was a real treat! What an impressive machine! If I come across an extra $800k, I may give Oshkosh a call.

All in all a good trip. We left Saturday evening and developed a pinhole leak in one of my heater hoses, so had to bypass that. I have the original 2 petcocks for the heater circuit, but am also using a 3rd tap in the intake for the coolant heater, so I don't have enough. Anyone know where to get these? It would have been easier to shut off the petcock and drive home vs cutting the hose and short circuiting the system.

Anyways, here's some pics.

Attachments

ida34

Great pics. Thanks. I am having problems getting my video out of my camcorder. When I get it sorted out I will post. It was a great time for sure.

Chuck

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks