• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fort Drum GL Chaos

dav5

How nice is the one you got? Is it close (minus the winterization kit)? If so, I guess I'd let it drop. If the one you got is not as nice, I'd contact a lawyer to see what you can do. Unfortunately, if this is how GL operates at that site, your gen set is probably long gone. Good luck.
I'm old enough to know that getting a lawyer involved for a $2000 dispute is not wise. I finally got the unit unloaded and fired up with break in oil as per Daybreak's instructions and it is a beautiful unit. I had to expand the battery cable clamps to get them on the teminals. They looked like they had never been on a battery before. I don't think it had ever been issued. I came out all right but I really wanted the winterization kit and I am still disgusted by GL's antics.

dav5

Here are photos. As I said I did OK but I'm still not happy with GL. I'm still shocked that GL is continuing auctions at Fort Drum. I'm sure this unit is still in their inventory because Samantha refused to take down the serial number. This scenario is going to happen again and again until GL cleans up it's act at Fort Drum.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd bet nothing will change unless buyers who have experienced this contact GL and let them know.

csheath

I would have called the main GL number as soon as this saga started to unfold. Hard to believe they would allow something like this.

The site I picked my unit up from was a little difficult to establish contact and get an appointment with but when I got there they had no problem finding the unit I bought. I went armed with the auction photos that had the serial number and auction number on them to make sure. The first thing I noticed on my unit was fork lift damage I had overlooked in the auction photos. I questioned that and the lot person took me inside to review the photos and sure enough it was there. As it turned out it was only cosmetic and probably allowed me to get my unit much cheaper than others were selling for.

As far as inspecting in person that just isn't practical unless you live within a couple of hours of the site. Inspecting in person also isn't much better than looking at photos on units that have no batteries or fluids in them. Most of us have to look the photos over good and take a chance. From the threads I've read there are very few units that end up with major or unsolvable problems so a decent looking unit has a pretty good chance of being fixable.

Last edited:

f8617

This gives the appearance of fraud, so it is grounds for employment termination, minimum.
GL is an USA gov't contractor; as such, this reflects on (probably) DMRO.
I recommend contacting DMRO, ASAP....internet search results show a phone number 315-772-4592.
Also, the Judge Advocate number for claims at Ft. Drum is 315-772-6584.

Last edited:

Flyingvan911

The fact that she's super busy is no excuse for her to just give you any generator. That might border on bait and switch. You paid a certain price based on a generator in a certain shape with certain features then she tried to give you a lesser generator. You might try calling the attorney general's office and complain. It makes me wonder if she didn't give that nice generator to someone else. I think you should have taken a picture of the generator she tried to give you and refused to take one at all. I do understand that you were frustrated and trying not to be a huge jerk.

dav5

I had all the photos and listing with me. I knew from 200 yards away that it was the wrong generator. I was well aware that the photos may be wrong but the description and especially the serial number should have been accurate.

It is no use calling the GL number it is pretty well just a call center. When I phoned to complain they told me I had to email info@govliquidation.com to contact management. I just got a reply to that email asking for pretty well the same info I already sent them.

Last edited:

dav5

This gives the appearance of fraud, so it is grounds for employment termination, minimum.
GL is an USA gov't contractor; as such, this reflects on (probably) DMRO.
I recommend contacting DMRO, ASAP....internet search results show a phone number 315-772-4592.
Also, the Judge Advocate number for claims at Ft. Drum is 315-772-6584.
Thanks for the info I will see what GL's reply will be.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see it like this, you should have refused the item and tried to get reimbursed for your travel.

You are not willing to try to fix the issue.

You just wanted to warn us, but were not interested in any feedback/suggestions.

Basically you just wanted to vent...

dav5

Well, you are welcome to your opinion but in my view I am trying to fix the issue so it doesn't happen again and possibly to you in the future. What feedback and suggestions have I ignored???? As far as venting goes OF COURSE I WANTED TO VENT. WHAT KING OF FOOL WOULDN"T WANT TO VENT!!!!

xactf046

On a better note I picked up 03a from cherry point nc. Jerry had his stuff together and was in and out. Took it home added fluids and batteries and it fired and ran. Replaced the oil pressure gauge and Injector return fuel line and runs and produces good power under a load. Could not ask for a better experience but the 9 hr drive was miserable.

Bmxenbrett

Well, you are welcome to your opinion but in my view I am trying to fix the issue so it doesn't happen again and possibly to you in the future. What feedback and suggestions have I ignored???? As far as venting goes OF COURSE I WANTED TO VENT. WHAT KING OF FOOL WOULDN"T WANT TO VENT!!!!
Remember i had the same thing happen to me x2..i won two generators and drove 4.5hrs one way. Im not calling any numbers. In the end if your just trying to make sure it dosnt happen to anyone else you most likely alreaty did what wad needed. Your fighting the government here and a not so well organized contractor. I would just leave it alone.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
From what I read, I didn't think you were going to contact GL or persue any action.

I was not trying to upset you or be negative.

I was just summarizing your posts from my perspective. I may have misinterpreted your direction of recourse.

Happy every day...

dav5

No problem. I have contacted GL. I called their main number and was told that to get in touch with management I had to send an Email to info@govliquidation.com which I did. I got a reply about an hour ago asking for pretty well all the information I had given them in my original email. They also asked me to suggest a fair compromise. I replied that they should refund the buyers premium since they didn't fulfill their commitment. I am not unhappy with the generator I got except for the fact that it didn't have the winterization kit. Nothing that has happened so far leads me to believe that there is going to be a change at Fort Drum. They messed up with 3 generators in two days so it is not an isolated incident. Thanks for your input.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have quite a bit of experience with GL @ FT Drum.

I have seen a lot of stuff go on there that is simply ridiculous.

I've gotten to know the last 4 GL reps there quite well.

I have not had the issue that you and others are referring to here in this thread, but I completely believe it is happening.

I'd like to see it fixed for all.

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been on Ft. Drum and many other bases. I bought over $100.000 dollars worth of stuff from GL over 16 years. I closed my account last year with GL, they screwed me for the last time. GL told me on the phone " you will be back". As buggs bunny once said " he don't know me very well do he".

Rangerpig

Hi I would like to share my Fort Drum experience. I won a MEP803A last week. It was a 2009 with 3.7 hours on a 2011 Reset. It had the winterization kit which is what got me to bid more than I wanted to. It also had SPC ZAMORA printed on the top in very large block letters. It was a very nice unit. I called GL at Fort Drum and got no answer and no call back. I kept calling and finally was able to set up an appointment for Tuesday. I drove 5 hours and stayed in a hotel. I was there on time for the appointment. The GL rep Samantha didn't arrive until 9:45 for a 9:00 AM appointment. We went to the GL yard and she brought out a crapped out generator that had many hours on it. I said no way I want the one I won. Her response was "they are all the same' You are going to have to take this one. I said that wasn't going to happen. She said GL dumped 250 lots on her and she had no idea where anything was. I insisted on going with her to try to find the 803 with HUGE lettering on it. We drove around for 5 minutes or so and she told me she wasn't going any farther because she had to pay for her own gas. I replied through clenched teeth that I was driving 10 hours on my own gas. She said I could take a mobile 803 if I had a hitch on my truck. That was very attractive to me but I had no pintle hitch, lights or licence also I was pretty sure GL had lost the mobile gen contract to Govplanet so she had no authority to offer it to me. I finally decided to take the best one I could find a low hour 2006 with no winterization kit and some panel damage. I was so angry I couldn't properly evaluate it. I wrote the serial # and notes on the invoice and made her sign it. I suggested she write down the serial # and she declined. SO there is absolutely no inventory control. Upcoming auctions should be cancelled until this mess is sorted out. On my way home after my rage started to subside all I could think about was the poor guy that would show up to claim the generator I took. Maybe he drove more than 10 hours. If anyone is going to claim a 2006 803 with 15.1 hours on it at Fort Drum I'm sorry but it isn't there.
Brother, I am 3 mikes from Fort Drum. If you need a place to stay, let me know! Also, who was the woman? Also also, teach me what I need to know about generators so I can buy one lol.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

lindsey97

dav5, I truly feel your pain. I have been involved with GL on several transactions, and they are sometimes less than pleasurable to deal with. You handled the situation better than I would have. I am thankful that you got a good generator, and that it runs and functions. Could have ended much worse for you in many ways.

I applaud you for getting on here and informing everyone of the situation, this is the only way to counter what GL is doing to new/first time/only time buyers. It is a shame that they are allowed to do business this way.

Back in 2015, I purchased a M923 truck from GP. I actually purchased it thru another member on this site, and then we all went together to Ft. Riley to recover 3 M923. After the auction had ended, and we showed up to remove our paid for trucks, an alternate crew that usually isn't there due to a holiday weekend decided to "rough up" our trucks right in front of us. Mine caught ****. They smashed up the front bumper, hood support, and destroyed the tailgate, and dented the area below the tailgate. When we begged them to stop, and informed them that we had towbars, and all needed items to recover, they replied that we weren't allowed into the area where the trucks are, due to people stealing parts. My reply to them was I am not a ****ing thief. I was fuming mad, and still am to some degree. If I knew who they were, I would put my foot in their ass.

Since I removed the truck from the auction to drive it home, I had no recourse with their "ironclad guarantee". It did not help that I had not purchased the truck with my own account, and couldn't get the actual buyer to dispute the damage. So I repaired the truck at my own expense, replacing parts and doing the labor as I had time. The truck turned out to be an excellent ride, and is a keeper.

Moral of the story is be glad you went home with an actual item, weren't turned away, and that your genset isn't beat to **** and actually works. I just bought my first MEP-802a at Ft. Riley and I understand the thrill of getting an item, staring at the pictures after you win it, and overall the thrill of the hunt. My suggestion to you is to start bidding on GP rolling stock generators, and mail Samantha at GL a 50lb. bag of Canadian dogpoop.