• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fort Drum GL Chaos

Chief_919

This will eventually bite GL in the rear end.

They can use their terms to cover the occasional mix up, but when it becomes a matter of routine from them to give the product other than listed, as it sounds like it is now there, then they are violating multiple state and federal laws regarding deceptive business practices, false advertising and other consumer protection laws.

It is one thing to occasionally mess up with pictures or descriptions or misload a lot. It is a totally different matter to use specific pictures and serial number descriptions on auction lots in an offer for sale, take payment, then refuse to deliver the advertised item or even attempt to deliver the right item and tell the customer they can take whatever you offer or suck it. That is simply not legal.

Last edited:

dav5

Rangerpig,
If you only live 4 miles away you should be able to avoid all this B.S. The best way to buy is to preinspect. You can verify with Samantha where in the yard it is, condition and serial #. Unfortunately that is just not possible for most of us. There were some very nice 802A's and some mobile 803A's that will be coming up. Govplanet seems to get better ratings than Govliquidation but only handle the mobile units as far as I could see. Someone on here also said Samantha works for both so that could be a problem.
Teaching you about generators is not a problem. This site is fantastic. The best advice I got was from Guyfang. Just jump in and start posting. I have resurrected 2 831A's and 2 803A's in the last year. Prior to that I had never seen a military generator up close. There is always someone on here that knows way more than I will ever learn to help out.

dav5

This will eventually bite GL in the rear end.

They can use their terms to cover the occasional mix up, but when it becomes a matter of routine from them to give the product other than listed, as it sounds like it is now there, then they are violating multiple state and federal laws regarding deceptive business practices, false advertising and other consumer protection laws.

It is one thing to occasionally mess up with pictures or descriptions or misload a lot. It is a totally different matter to use specific pictures and serial number descriptions on auction lots in an offer for sale, take payment, then refuse to deliver the advertised item or even attempt to deliver the right item and tell the customer they can take whatever you offer or suck it. That is simply not legal.
Thanks, I couldn't have said it better.

Rangerpig

Rangerpig,
If you only live 4 miles away you should be able to avoid all this B.S. The best way to buy is to preinspect. You can verify with Samantha where in the yard it is, condition and serial #. Unfortunately that is just not possible for most of us. There were some very nice 802A's and some mobile 803A's that will be coming up. Govplanet seems to get better ratings than Govliquidation but only handle the mobile units as far as I could see. Someone on here also said Samantha works for both so that could be a problem.
Teaching you about generators is not a problem. This site is fantastic. The best advice I got was from Guyfang. Just jump in and start posting. I have resurrected 2 831A's and 2 803A's in the last year. Prior to that I had never seen a military generator up close. There is always someone on here that knows way more than I will ever learn to help out.
For everyone here wanting to buy something from Drum, give me a heads up! I only said was close to drum in krder to help you guys. I can stop in and check something out if you want. A little Reece, no big deal.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Guyfang

Staff member
Maybe, if there is a next time, you all should say, "I Want to speak with your supervisor, now." And not budge until you get to speak with them. It was always my last resort in the military. Might work there also.

dav5

I tried that but he was "not in today" and since we were at a national guard site outside the main gates and I couldn't re-enter wthout accompaniment I was **** out of luck.

dav5

Just an update. GL replied and denied any responsibility. Offered me a $100 credit on future purchases. This is pretty well what I expected they would say but it doesn't make me happy. I was fully aware that the photos and description could be wrong but I never imagined that I would have a Bait and Switch pulled on me. To sell a non existent generator and then try and make me take a crapped out substitute with a different serial # isn't right.
It is time to put this to bed though. Every experience good or bad is a learning experience and what I learned is never to trust GL again. Thanks for the input. Ted

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the lesson for all of us is to be prepared to walk away and demand a refund if what purchased isn't being delivered. For sure its a hard thing to do if you have invested a significant amount of time and effort to get there to pick up the stuff.

If GL has to refund purchases voluntarily or via bank chargebacks it will become more more visible to higher levels of management.

Jericho

Perhaps the real answer here is to contact your Congressional representative . ALL OF THE EQUIPMENT IS AFTER ALL PROPERTY OF THE US GOVERNMENT , All the SUB CONTRACTORs hired to do disposal have contractual goals and standards in their agreements, THESE documents are available in their entirety under the Freedom of Information and "RIGHT TO KNOW" LAWs. I would agree with some about a singular lawyer pursuit being of little use. , but point out that the rule of thumb for a CLASS action suit is generally 3 to four people. It opens a plethora of changing legal options, Including pursueing the company and its workers personnaly Perhaps the companies need to be reminded that customer service is paramount, Failing to deliver a serially identified unit after a consummated sale is simply theft by deception.

csheath

Also sounds like a good case for using the Paypal option when paying. That is how i paid for mine. My generator purchase went okay but I have had to get Paypal to step in on a couple of transactions and they will charge back for you.

csheath

They don't charge back without giving the seller a chance to resolve issues but they get involved and if the seller doesn't respond in the time designated they charge it back to them and refund your money. If I remember correctly the time they allow is only 10 days so it's not a drug out process.

dav5

I have gotten PayPal involved in a couple of unsatisfactory eBay purchases but it never even occurred to me to pay GL with PayPal. Thanks for the great idea. Ted

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also sounds like a good case for using the Paypal option when paying. That is how i paid for mine. My generator purchase went okay but I have had to get Paypal to step in on a couple of transactions and they will charge back for you.
The only thing with GL and charge backs is they will lock your account and ban you from buying from them most likely.
From GL terms and conditions
[ Charge-Backs. If you attempt to rescind a credit card transaction without our express advance written consent (i.e., a "charge-back"), then we may immediately and permanently de-activate your account in our sole discretion. If you perform a charge-back after receiving the Assets, we may file charges with the appropriate law enforcement agency, and reserve the right to pursue all remedies available to us to recover any and all incurred damages. ]

Chrispyny

The only thing with GL and charge backs is they will lock your account and ban you from buying from them most likely.
From GL terms and conditions
[ Charge-Backs. If you attempt to rescind a credit card transaction without our express advance written consent (i.e., a "charge-back"), then we may immediately and permanently de-activate your account in our sole discretion. If you perform a charge-back after receiving the Assets, we may file charges with the appropriate law enforcement agency, and reserve the right to pursue all remedies available to us to recover any and all incurred damages. ]
Good point. However, if i ever have to charge back a fee to a miserable company for screwing me, i will nwver do business with that company again. For those who may charge something back to GL due to the BS shennanigans they pull, i hope they would do the same.
If it gets to the point of a chargeback because of this nonsense, i could care less if GL suspends my account.

Ray70

So back a couple weeks ago I saw this thread, just as I was about to make a last minute bid on the next round of 802A's at Ft.Drum. It made me a bit apprehensive so I kept my bids low and of course... I lost.
Today I go on to bid on the latest batch and I notice that every single generator listed the description doesn't match the pictures. The years are all wrong, hours are all wrong... serial#'s in the ad doesn't match the serial tags in the pictures. and of course the pictures hare older units with more hours.
What gives? It will be interesting to hear if anyone here was one of the winners at today's generator auction 4/3 and how they make out come recovery day!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks