• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fort Drum GL Chaos

robertsears1

Has anyone suggested talking to the IG (Inspector General) at Ft Drum? Since GL is a tenant there, some unit in the military should have responsibility over them in some manner. You could also call the office of the Commanding Officer and say you would like to lodge an IG complaint. They have to take complaints seriously and there is supposed to be no retribution if it is a valid complaint. You have to take that last statement with a grain of salt in light of what the VA did to some whistleblowers. I was in 9th AF IG for three years (on the inspection side), but that is how I recall it worked. You could then talk to a Congressman if no action.

I have dealt with GL at Ft Bragg, Norfolk, Portsmouth, Moody AFB, Shaw AFB, Cherry Point, and Ft Jackson. All treated me well. This racket at Ft Drum sounds out of control.

Robert

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only thing with GL and charge backs is they will lock your account and ban you from buying from them most likely.
From GL terms and conditions
[ Charge-Backs. If you attempt to rescind a credit card transaction without our express advance written consent (i.e., a "charge-back"), then we may immediately and permanently de-activate your account in our sole discretion. If you perform a charge-back after receiving the Assets, we may file charges with the appropriate law enforcement agency, and reserve the right to pursue all remedies available to us to recover any and all incurred damages. ]

Maybe they don't know the difference between criminal and civil actions. A charge back would be civil and law enforcement wouldn't be involved. Several times I've been involved with LEOs for something civil and they tell me the same thing every time.

If you take the asset and they sign it out and then you do a charge back it is civil because you didn't steal it.

AMC

Just read this little footnote on one of their listings at another location.

"Information contained in the Item Manifest is third-party information that has been provided by an additional source. This information is deemed reliable but is not guaranteed by Government Liquidation. It is not intended to be used as the sole basis for bidding, and should not be taken in lieu of buyer's own due diligence."

I also noticed the Event ID didn't match the sale number on the photo of the equipment but the lot number matched. I sent them a message asking if they guaranteed the equipment serial number would match?

That is concerning. If any of these items were DEMIL Q and an EUC is submitted. The serial numbers need to match for what the actual property is and whats on the EUC packet in Trade Security's Office.

AMC

You could even file a complaint to the DLA Inspector Generals Office.

Sorry for the duplicate post. Mods can you delete this one?

Last edited:

csheath

It sounds to me like this is all due to one individual mismanaging the assets. I imagine they just need ti fire that person and get proper management in there.

Chrispyny

This has got to be a gov liq thing. When i purchased my trailered mep-802a a couple years ago from govplanet at fort drum, the guy who met us was a tim, or ted, and he made sure i got the right genset, and even helped me plant the trailer on my pintle. He was great.

GOTTA be a govliq thing.

LanceRobson

All, having spent a lot of years at Drum I can tell you that Doghead is correct in that there are a lot of gravel parking lots and motor pool lots at Drum. Any while some have sand mixed in with the gravel there are certainly over a square mile of them.....

All of the items GL and GP have for sale remain government property. If I showed up and was told the unit I bid on, and have a receipt for by serial number, isn't available the first thing I'd do is to try to resolve the issue. Failing that and especially if I suspect something fishy I'm calling the post Military Police office and asking for someone to come to the site. Then, at the very least, I'd have someone disinterested to record the facts officially that an item of government property is missing and that they tried to substitute something else for the missing property.

I'd also call the MPs if I saw an employee tearing equipment up due to negligence or what amounts to vandalism.

On Fort Drum, like many other posts, the Military Police have jurisdiction over military personnel and not over civilians. It's the NY State Police that deal with civilians. An MP can detain a civilian but needs to call the NYSP to make any arrest. So, given that your dealing with a civilian employee of a contractor I'd maybe call the NYSP also and report an apparent theft as GL/GP says they lost government property.

And, if it were an off-post site such as a National Guard facility I'd still get someone to look at the serial numbers and confirm that they (GL or GP) had lost track of the item. All that may not help but it would sure get their attention.....

And I'm not sure if GL's disclaimer about serial numbers possibly being wrong in the sale listing matters when they've issued me a receipt with a specific serial number. That's GL making the statement of fact about that serial number and not a third party.

FWIW, I've only dealt with Samantha once and had a good transaction. But I've known at least three other GL employees at Drum to be thieves. 7-8 years ago, one offered to let me take things off some trucks that hadn't been lotted yet for a fee. Another time, one actually told me the day we met he would sell me things since he needed money for Christmas presents. On another occasion, there was a 20 ton floor jack that came up missing and when I asked yet another employee when it was going to be lotted he came right out and told me he sold it to someone who spotted it and wanted it. And several years back a friend showed up at my shop from picking a truck up with a bunch of boarding ladders and told me he'd paid $20 to be able to pull stuff out of the scrap bins. And another time.......

Lance

Another Ahab

FWIW, I've only dealt with Samantha once and had a good transaction. But I've known at least three other GL employees at Drum to be thieves. 7-8 years ago, one offered to let me take things off some trucks that hadn't been lotted yet for a fee. Another time, one actually told me the day we met he would sell me things since he needed money for Christmas presents. On another occasion, there was a 20 ton floor jack that came up missing and when I asked yet another employee when it was going to be lotted he came right out and told me he sold it to someone who spotted it and wanted it. And several years back a friend showed up at my shop from picking a truck up with a bunch of boarding ladders and told me he'd paid $20 to be able to pull stuff out of the scrap bins. And another time.......

Lance
There might be some journalists up there (television or print), who could have a field day with all that background.

Like letting dogs loose on a scent. They'll do all the hunting for you.

Bmxenbrett

All of you guys have sugestions on what you would do but none have had it happen. Its really not a big deal, a few hrs on a used generator thats made to last thousands. Since this post has started i have bought 3 more generators and they were the ones i bid on.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Still went home with it correct?
Put yourself in his position... you are going to a Canadian military installation, which has taken significant time and energy to align. You might make an on-the-spot decision to accept other too.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All of you guys have sugestions on what you would do but none have had it happen. Its really not a big deal, a few hrs on a used generator thats made to last thousands. Since this post has started i have bought 3 more generators and they were the ones i bid on.
Howdy,

ok, here's one :roll:

I will sell you a 5kw generator for $3000 dollars. You pay, and you show up and I give you a pile of crap which you have all the pieces in about 6 boxes. Oh, the picture I showed you was a simple stock photo. :)

It's really not a big deal. You got a 5kw generator.

I know a lot of members do not care if you bought 3 generators. You obviously are new to making purchases. Understanding contracts is important for how things operate. GL wants to hold you accountable, as you need to hold GL and their representatives responsible as well. :burn:

Like this post and many others have no bearing on the thread. Yes, it is a waste of space. It should never of been typed out and posted. But, sometimes a comment needs to be made.

Firebrand

Exactly. It's the principle of the matter that matters! If I agree to buy apples, I don't expect to be handed hammers. While I may have a need for more hammers, I came to the site to collect the contracted amount of apples.

Guyfang

Staff member
You can add a little bit of theft to this also. If this lady offered you a case of MRE's to "shut up and take it", well, where did she get that case of MRE's?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, until anyone does something about it, It's hard to imagine it will change there.

dav5

If I was an American citizen believe me I would be raising caine. I am semi retired with lots of time on my hands [which is why I got into generators in the first place] and I would drive GL crazy with complaints to my local politicians and any other authorities I could think of. Since I am a Canadian citizen I am a "Foreign National" with no standing so that limits what I can do.

csheath

I had a terrible experience with fort drum. I won a 2009 gen with 32 hours on it and later on that night I checked the auction and it magically changed to a 2005, had 269 hours and a totally different serial number!!! I called "Samantha" and she gave me a song and a dance yet no real reason why the listing magically changed after I had won. Long story short she gave me 2 options...I take the 269hr machine and she throws in a "free" 250 gallon fuel tank or I call GL and lie and say the machine was damaged and she'd take a picture of a busted up machine to "prove". Idk about you guys but I'm not the one to get into shady stuff especially when dealing with the US Government. I wound up taking your guys advice and payed via PayPal and had them cancel authorization. Good call!
I'm curious. Did you attempt to settle through GL or just go through PP? They usually send a message to seller and require 10 days at least before doing a charge back. It wouldn't surprise me if it went that route and GL just didn't respond but I was wondering how it went down.

Xlandscaper

I'm curious. Did you attempt to settle through GL or just go through PP? They usually send a message to seller and require 10 days at least before doing a charge back. It wouldn't surprise me if it went that route and GL just didn't respond but I was wondering how it went down.
i did attempt to settle it through GL but Samantha wanted me to lie and say my machine was damaged and that she'd vouch for it by sending GL a few photos of a busted up machine to prove it so I'd get my money back "quicker" F- that! I called PayPal and cancelled payment. PayPal said if they find my machine that I can re-authorize payment and all would be happy in the world.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks