• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fort Leonard Wood to Fort Riley

91W350

I stopped at the store for some groceries and a young man that appeared to be mid 70's approached me as I was loading groceries into the deuce. He wanted to know if I would start it for him before he left. Of course, I was glad to, he was obviously emotionally attached. I let him reflect in whatever memories he was lost in and when he looked my way again, I asked him if he would like a ride. He said he would another day, so I gave him a card with my cell phone on it and told him to call anytime.

Either the brisk wind or emotions were causing his eyes to well, he asked me if I was the one that had the deuce with the cargo cover in town, I told him I was, but I had sold that truck. We walked around and he asked questions, which I was happy to answer. He talked about getting one stuck in a pond and how much work it was to get it out.

He then laughed a little and told me in 1964 he was in the bed of a deuce with a truckload of troops headed from Fort Leonard Wood to Fort Riley. A convertible Pontiac with a couple in it were behind the deuce. The male driver was drinking a bottle of beer. The troops started egging on the driver to throw them a beer. The botlles started flying and several guys were drinking in the bed of the deuce. The driver hurled one that went over the top, bounced and landed on the hood of the deuce. The deuce was being driven by their Sgt.

He smiled, then grimaced a little, then he said the brakes did not take long to come on. The truck stopped and the Pontiac went on by. The Sgt came back demanding to know if they were drinking beer back here.... eyes welled up again and he never told me the rest of the story. He said he better get on his way. I hope he calls for the ride.... I could have listened for hours instead of a few minutes. Glen

Chief_919

Ahh the flashbacks of being a young troop in the back of a duece.

Best rides where when a car with some young women was behind ya- we had about a 25% success rate getting a flash:grin:

Chief_919

Ahh the flashbacks of being a young troop in the back of a duece.

Best rides where when a car with some young women was behind ya- we had about a 25% success rate getting a flash:grin:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks