• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fort McCoy 8/23

skinnedknuckles

AH the red front axle, you probably should paint that to protect it from the red front axle mongers. :drool: How are you coming along with your getting to know your truck inside and out? Good deal on your batteries. Just a word of advice, don't let any of the parts of your deuce find their way into the kitchen your wife would NOT be very happy. I tried it again with a bunch of parts and the girlfreind was pretty well ticked off again ,even though its my house. Something about thats her space :roll:. Have you looked into joining up with any clubs . And are you planning on running up to Spooner for the fall gathering of the MVPG . Its a blast !!
Paul in Janesville

citizensoldier

I appreciate the great insight Kenny! Now that you mention cost as a key driver in the decision to either go with a 2.5 or a 5 ton, that makes sense. I have noticed that the 5's go for considerably more. I would also assume that availability of the 5's via GL (government liquidation) is more infrequent than the 2.5's.

Do you have any insight into which version is better suited for recreational off-road use? If I get a 6x6 it would be used for logging trails, dry river beds, light water, swamp/marsh, etc.

Do you feel the price you paid for your GL appropriate given the availability of "reconditioned" units on the open/private market (non-government)? I don't necessarily need to know what you paid (but if you'd like to share that, great!).

I live near a company called Oshkosh Equipment (Oskhosh, WI) and they sell reconditioned 5 tons. They go for around $15-$18,000. I have seen some on Ebay for less but I'm not sure if they were reconditioned or not.

Anyway, my point in quereing you on price is so that I get an idea of what I should be paying for GL 2.5 and 5 ton rigs.

Again, I appreciate your insight.

Take care,

Papa!
Most of the differences, ups and downs of each have been covered. A good way to help your decision is to find someone with both, park them next to each other and look them over. You will definitely appreciate the difference between a 5 ton and 2.5 ton right away. Now crawl under each and take a gander at the transfer cases. You will soon see that 5 tons are double the weight, double the money, and double the work to fix.
Good luck with your future purchase but I would recommend the M35A2.. Lots of parts available, easier to fix, more off road capable because of the weight.

kennys@wi.rr.com

Doc if you'r lucky I'll let you ride in it too. LOL. If you're going to the farm today I'll drive it out. Could use the burn pile to toss all the wood that's rotted in the back.

kennys@wi.rr.com

Seals are in and so far no leaks. I did have to redo on of the bearings after I put it together, but overall pretty good. Now we'll see how well it last on the trip this weekend.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks