• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fort McCoy 8/23

kennys@wi.rr.com

Well the batteries appear to be taking a chage from the slow trickle charger I decided to use but as with anything time will tell if they will hold that charge.
The tire that was flat I dropped off at Pomp's tire today and as soon as it hit the ground I found the problem, a nail. So tomorrow morning before I come to work I will stop and pick it up and get it back on the truck.
I will be working late this week so I hope to be able to try starting it on it's own batteries in the morning. I really want to keep the peace with the neighbors and not fire it up at 10:30 tonight.
More to follow.

skinnedknuckles

Kenny thats not very nice to say. But.....Yepfat lady sings Congrats on the "uneventful" recovery:beer: Ya know I was kinda wondering about the parking of the deuce up there lets say if I take it up for the armed forces day open house but you have now answered my question :p. Could name the truck "X" :D. Has your wife let you back in the house yet or better yet has she said that she wants a ride in it to that nice fancy steak house so you can park it next to the shiney cars
Paul in Janesville:driver:

kennys@wi.rr.com

Well I got to work and found out that a storm is comming through, not her, and I called home to ask her to unplug the trickle charger. No answer. In my mind, she either left or hooked up the batts and took it for a spin. Well she was just at the store. But she was willing to let me walk her through the process of unhooking the batt charger. It's a start.

kennys@wi.rr.com

Baby steps, now see if she will go sweep out the cargo area.:D

Now that's funny. Maybe I should have my 14 y/o do it like when she cleaned out the cab of my F350. Nothing was left in there, all cd's, tape measure, tire guage..ect...... And I still couldn't see out the windshield with all the streaks. But I'm sure she can sweep.

PapaPumpSD

Hi Kenny,

Is there a particular reason why you went with a 2.5 vs. a 5 ton? What to you plan on using your 6x6 for?

I too am in WI and am interested in a M35A3. I am doing some due diligence before I get me one of these big toys. I have seen 2 1/2 and 5 tons for sale but I'm not sure why one would choose a 2.5 vs a 5 and visa versa.

Do you know if there is a lot of maintenance/tinkering you have to do with these big rigs? Assuming everything has been checked and replaced (as needed) and the M's mechanical condition is sound, is there much to do maintenance-wise? I don't own a big shop or many tools so I would have to bring it to a local shop for maintenance and whatnot.

Anyone is welcome to respond. I appreciate everyone's insight!

Take care,

Papa!

kennys@wi.rr.com

Hello PapaPump

Part of my decision was made on cost and serviceablity. The 5 tons are awesome but the cost is something I couldn't justify at this time. Also with a bigger truck comes bigger and heavier parts. I don't have a shop but I do have a shade tree and it's just me. So you can see how larger heavier parts don't fall in line with that. Don't get me wrong I love the 5 tons but I just can't see one of those in my near future, but some day.

I too wanted an A3, however, again the cost for them is just out of line, for me. But there again if cost wasn't a concern I'd one of each.

One of the best pieces of advice I can give you is to make friends that have these trucks already. I can't tell you how much that helps. Even if you have to travel 45 minutes or more to see them and help them with the trucks it's time well spent. Even if they call you names and pick on you none stop, still worth it. I can't tell you how much a little sweat on some one elses truk has helped me to learn.

Hope this helps.

PapaPumpSD

Hello PapaPump

Part of my decision was made on cost and serviceablity. The 5 tons are awesome but the cost is something I couldn't justify at this time. Also with a bigger truck comes bigger and heavier parts. I don't have a shop but I do have a shade tree and it's just me. So you can see how larger heavier parts don't fall in line with that. Don't get me wrong I love the 5 tons but I just can't see one of those in my near future, but some day.

I too wanted an A3, however, again the cost for them is just out of line, for me. But there again if cost wasn't a concern I'd one of each.

One of the best pieces of advice I can give you is to make friends that have these trucks already. I can't tell you how much that helps. Even if you have to travel 45 minutes or more to see them and help them with the trucks it's time well spent. Even if they call you names and pick on you none stop, still worth it. I can't tell you how much a little sweat on some one elses truk has helped me to learn.

Hope this helps.
I appreciate the great insight Kenny! Now that you mention cost as a key driver in the decision to either go with a 2.5 or a 5 ton, that makes sense. I have noticed that the 5's go for considerably more. I would also assume that availability of the 5's via GL (government liquidation) is more infrequent than the 2.5's.

Do you have any insight into which version is better suited for recreational off-road use? If I get a 6x6 it would be used for logging trails, dry river beds, light water, swamp/marsh, etc.

Do you feel the price you paid for your GL appropriate given the availability of "reconditioned" units on the open/private market (non-government)? I don't necessarily need to know what you paid (but if you'd like to share that, great!).

I live near a company called Oshkosh Equipment (Oskhosh, WI) and they sell reconditioned 5 tons. They go for around $15-$18,000. I have seen some on Ebay for less but I'm not sure if they were reconditioned or not.

Anyway, my point in quereing you on price is so that I get an idea of what I should be paying for GL 2.5 and 5 ton rigs.

Again, I appreciate your insight.

Take care,

Papa!

Papa!,
All of these vehicles will take work, either PMs or breakdowns. The M35A2 is the cheapest to aquire and parts are plentiful. M35A3s are more costly to purchase an may be very expensive to repair (+ they are as ugly as Kenny, yuck). The A3s have a type of power steering, this can be added to the A2, but it is highly recommended for your off-road adventures. Some people like to have the automatic transmission that is in the A3, I could care less. The auto trans. is a possible high dollar item when it breaks.
As for the 2.5 vs 5 ton question, a Deuce is a big truck and a 5 ton is bigger. If you want to do alot of off roading I would suggest the Deuce. I love my 5 tonners, but they are BIG. They turn big and if you get it stuck, you will need something really big to get it out.
Just be warned, none of these trucks are delux trail machines. They will rattle your bones and consume your muscles. And that's on the road.
I have much more to say, but you have to put in another quarter.
Good luck with your quest. If you are ever down this way, look us up.
:jumpin:

PapaPumpSD

Papa!,
All of these vehicles will take work, either PMs or breakdowns. The M35A2 is the cheapest to aquire and parts are plentiful. M35A3s are more costly to purchase an may be very expensive to repair (+ they are as ugly as Kenny, yuck). The A3s have a type of power steering, this can be added to the A2, but it is highly recommended for your off-road adventures. Some people like to have the automatic transmission that is in the A3, I could care less. The auto trans. is a possible high dollar item when it breaks.
As for the 2.5 vs 5 ton question, a Deuce is a big truck and a 5 ton is bigger. If you want to do alot of off roading I would suggest the Deuce. I love my 5 tonners, but they are BIG. They turn big and if you get it stuck, you will need something really big to get it out.
Just be warned, none of these trucks are delux trail machines. They will rattle your bones and consume your muscles. And that's on the road.
I have much more to say, but you have to put in another quarter.
Good luck with your quest. If you are ever down this way, look us up.
:jumpin:
Dr, thanks very much for your response. I agree, the 5 tonners are just enormous. The M35s with singles are very large as well. Your point about getting stuck and then getting UN-stuck is dead on. You would probably need a serious rig to get a 5 ton out of mud or even off of a trail if it dies. I have never driven or sat shotgun in any military vehicle. Yes, I am quite ignorant on a variety of topics related to these machines. I do think they are super cool and would be a blast to take off-road. I hear you on the rough ride. These ain't no Caddies!

[inserts quarter]

Might you share the approximate cost of power-steering in an M35A2, assuming I had to pay someone to install that? (parts + labor).

Thanks and I appreciate your time.

Papa

The air assist kits are $1200-1500, Installation could be as much as $800.
As for the earlier question of vehicle costs: M35A2 @ GL $1700-4000 after fees.
M35A3 @ GL $5000-10000 after fees. Private sales add $2000-5000, depending on condition and accessories.

kennys@wi.rr.com

Well I tried to get my batteries to take a charge and it looked like it was going to work. Well as usual I was wrong. So I called Interstate and they didn't have blems but they did have 2 batts that were brought in under warante and tested good. So $60 later I have 2 batts and will have them in the truck tonight or tomorrow.

I also crawled under the truck a bit this mornng and found the issue with my parking break. There is no nut from the cable to the parking brake drum lever. So I bought some nuts and washers and hope to have that in working order tomorrow afternoon.

I will also work on getting more pics posted, I promise.

Papa, what are you doing this weekend? I'll let you come on down and wrench away.

PapaPumpSD

Well I tried to get my batteries to take a charge and it looked like it was going to work. Well as usual I was wrong. So I called Interstate and they didn't have blems but they did have 2 batts that were brought in under warante and tested good. So $60 later I have 2 batts and will have them in the truck tonight or tomorrow.

I also crawled under the truck a bit this mornng and found the issue with my parking break. There is no nut from the cable to the parking brake drum lever. So I bought some nuts and washers and hope to have that in working order tomorrow afternoon.

I will also work on getting more pics posted, I promise.

Papa, what are you doing this weekend? I'll let you come on down and wrench away.
Hey bro, thanks for the invite but my weekend is booked. About the only thing I can do with a wrench is throw it too! Ok, I'm not that helpless. I do enjoy tinkering and whatnot. I'm just no mechanical genius. Let me know how the deuce works out for you.

Is your deuce currently drivable? Once you take it out (if you haven't already), I'd like to hear how it drives, handles, stops, etc.

Have a nice weekend and good luck with the big rig! [thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks