• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fort Riley Recovery 2 deuces, 08-25-11

91W350

My EUC cleared this week and today was the only day available due to conflicts at work until the second week in September. I have been needing a deuce since I foolishly sold my old one.

I bought a 68 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 W/W and a 71 General Products Division M35A2 W/W. Either I missed it when I previewed the trucks or my 68 has been attacked by a fork lift since the auction. I know they have been moved as the lots to the south of mine are now north of mine.

The light wiring to the right front fender has been severed, no big deal there. But they hit the primary filter can and dented it as well as bending the interior bolt and breaking the seal at the filter housing. When we hit the power switch, diesel was spraying everywhere. I had a bag of filters and swapped it out. I had to bend the center bolt to get the can straight with the mount again. Hit the power, the can sealed, but the line to the secondaries had been crunched and was spraying fuel on the side of the block.

Quick trip to Manhattan... could not find any 1/2" fuel line, so I bought 3/8" and some axle grease and stretched it over the copper tube. It was still dripping a little at the first connector under the pan, but good enough to head home.

The 71 had no brakes, so I would have to tow it with the 68. The 68 was another clean engine oil truck. The oil had not been smoked yet. The upper radiator hose was cut too short and it barely stretched across, so I left the cap loose after attaching the hose, that is correct, brand new hose, that had a very thin gap between the block and the hose. I am not sure how this one left the depot. When we fired it up, coolant blew out of there like crazy. It started almost instantly and quickly built oil pressure. Everything appears new, stamped standard bore, rods and mains, with a 1970 date casting.

My brother came along, we had a nice easy run home. The truck ran perfect and everything stayed cool. It pulled the second deuce fairly easily and I down shifted for the hills, rather than just stand on the fuel. It was pulling them, but I just eased off and found a lower gear when it was working hard.

The slobber tube blows more light gray or white smoke than I am used to, hopefully it will clean up as the engine gets broken in.

We had to air up some tires, the glad hand hose works much better than the under the dash style!

I did not mess with the 71, just put it in neutral on the transfer case and made sure it had lube. All wheels ran cool on the way home.

I had run off without my ear plugs, but when I opened the windshield on the 68 there was a pair sealing off the corner of the windshield frame. Works for me!

We ran 45 to 48 mph with little difficulty, he said we broke 50 going down the hill at Fort Riley. It seems like a pretty solid truck... Found a laminated lubrication order from 1988 behind the passenger's seat. This one has two spring seats in it.

Photos to follow, he even pulled ahead and shot a little video.

I did drop the side panel on the 71 and it also has a new looking engine, standard bore, rods and mains. It appears to be a pretty solid truck, I will find out a lot more next week. I think they both have at least 8 new tires. I feel lucky, hope I can solve that brake issue quickly. Glen

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Good seeing you and your brother out there this AM. I was going to come back and help after I loaded but as I was informed my time was up!

ratat98

Congrats Glen! Welcome back to the Deuce world! I still feel bad for taking your old one away from you, but it's sitting comfortably in my driveway in the shade of the trees! Let me know if there's anything I can do for you from this direction!

91W350

Thanks guys, the 71 has at least been run since overhaul. I did fire it up this afternoon and it sounds great. I burned a little video of it running, I will add t later. I forgot to take carnage photos, but I have not fixed it yet, so the time is not up. I am thankful that they unplugged these instrument panels instead of cutting the wiring harnesses! I just wish they had tossed the panel for the 71 back in the truck, minus whatever gauge they thought was going to make my knees glow in the dark.

The 71 has some rust in the outside top flats of the lower rail on the box. I cannot figure out why there. It had some sort of enclosure bolted in the bed. The sealer lines are still running down the bed rails and tail gate. The winch shifter needs adjustment. If you set it in the neutral slot, the PTO is running. It was out of the slot when I first previewed the truck and I could not get it to shift. It shifts easy now with the engine running and the clutch in. I will have to see if we have a straight deuce bed left in the stack.

Attachments

91W350

They must have seriously overloaded that 71 at some point in time, the bridge plate says 94, which is unusual, normally they read 69 like the 68 does. 8)

As you can tell by the photos, we took the M1008 over with a bed load of tools, fluids and four new batteries. A whole box full of stuff and I had to buy a tubing cutter and some fuel hose. The 3/8ths fuel hose is usually a staple in my recovery bag as I have run into the leaky return line issue several times.

Attachments

91W350

Congrats Glen! Welcome back to the Deuce world! I still feel bad for taking your old one away from you, but it's sitting comfortably in my driveway in the shade of the trees! Let me know if there's anything I can do for you from this direction!
Want to trade injection pumps? I have this new truck that makes good power with little smoke on a D turbo and I would love to have your stinky, smoky old pump in there! Take care of my girl and be sure to let me know when you get tired of her!

I had not seen an intake mushroom like that one before. The tan truck needs to have the air cleaner rotated a little, but we had it running and I did not want to shut it down to replace the intake mushroom. I thought I was going to have to break out a hammer to unlatch that side panel, I see why it was so bound up now!

91W350

Good seeing you and your brother out there this AM. I was going to come back and help after I loaded but as I was informed my time was up!
I think I did meet you at a Kansas Krawl once, it has been a few years ago. GL is not nearly as social as it used to be, I think too many items came up missing. I was surprised they let me work unsupervised for a couple of hours. They were certainly busy there today.

You should have come back and joined me in my diesel shower, I would have gladly shared it with you!

Lee has built some killer rock machines. I hated to see him sell his old M715, it caused me to sell mine too. It was not near as much fun by myself as it was in pairs. Wish I had known you were going to be there, we could easily have tossed on that air cleaner.

Finally, it is always nice to get an almost full tank of fuel! I am thankful that t was clear and I could see the bottom of the tank. I do not need a 40 gallon algae problem. Glen

Attachments

Motorcar

That's great stuff! Makes me want to go get another. Seems like prices are more reasonable up your way in Kansas. The big city here in Texas seems to drive things up from time to time, that said I have got some deals. Thanks for posting the photos.

91W350

When are you getting the 820's or did you all ready? Those deuce's look good.
We have picked up two of the M820s, we have three more coming. These two are very rough... very, very rough... a guy would be insane to start a restore on something like these two.

ratat98

Want to trade injection pumps? I have this new truck that makes good power with little smoke on a D turbo and I would love to have your stinky, smoky old pump in there! Take care of my girl and be sure to let me know when you get tired of her!
Oh I might consider it, but I'm starting to get fond of the fire department thinking my house is on fire every time I leave the driveway! :) I had to haul a gearbox out into an irrigation system on one of our cotton fields the other day, so she got to do some actual work! I must say, I would take the deuce out there every time if I could!! I know its a long trip, but we all need to meet in Dodge City someday to catch up! Maybe get a few other MV's to join us and start a tradition!

91W350

Hey! I am in for the Dodge City thing! That does indeed sound like a lot of fun. We would probably get a lot better turnout though, if we chose a spot closer to OK City. There are a lot of SS members in that area.

Here is the short video on the road, hard to catch a 48 mph truck coming and going. I went back to the trucks and fired up the 71 for the first time, sat the camera on the heater box while I did the initial crank up. It took off quickly for sitting so long. Sounds great to me! The coolant was overfull when I checked it and it puked out quite a bit when I opened the cap. This one does not slobber nearly as bad either, hope the tan truck comes around. Glen

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjHJrw8cM8o[/media]

91W350

Medicine Lodge? I wish I had a rancher friend west of there in the red hills. That is awesome country. I think they extend south into Oklahoma as well. One thing about Dodge City, no shortage of Motels.....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks