• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Forward Operating Base In-a-Can

turnkey

Great going on all the stuff you need for this operation....Congrats on getting the wife somewhat in also.....Camping at this household ...1. suitcase...Pool...Hottub....Room service....diner close by or in hotel....There all set for the next big camp out ...Best of luck...

tim292stro

I grew up knowing what the underside of a tree looked like, and so will my kids dang it!!

The oldest is 4-1/2 now, and he and his younger brother already know what it is like to wake up cool, and find that it's below freezing outside the sleeping bag (and no kidding on that). They also know what it's like to be in a forest during a lightning and thunder shower storm thanks to our stay in the Shenandoah National Park in Virginia with the other set of grandparents. Or what reconstituting freeze dried backpacker food tastes like (and they have favorites already).

rustystud

I grew up knowing what the underside of a tree looked like, and so will my kids dang it!!

The oldest is 4-1/2 now, and he and his younger brother already know what it is like to wake up cool, and find that it's below freezing outside the sleeping bag (and no kidding on that). They also know what it's like to be in a forest during a lightning and thunder shower storm thanks to our stay in the Shenandoah National Park in Virginia with the other set of grandparents. Or what reconstituting freeze dried backpacker food tastes like (and they have favorites already).
Hey ! that back packer food isn't half bad. Try living on "C" or "K" rats ! Actually I did like them for the most part. I didn't care much for the "chilli", though the "beans and franks" where pretty good ! Since I was in the Marines I also know how many holes where in a "Gorilla" cookie. The answer is 56, give or take one or two.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

The oldest is 4-1/2 now, and he and his younger brother already know what it is like to wake up cool, and find that it's below freezing outside the sleeping bag (and no kidding on that). They also know what it's like to be in a forest during a lightning and thunder shower storm thanks to our stay in the Shenandoah National Park in Virginia with the other set of grandparents.
Spending time in the woods is always time well spent.

The first and only time I ever met a rattlesnake (Timber Rattler) was one mid-morning packing up my bag in White Oak Canyon of the Shenandoah National Park. She was cruising through the campsite. That is a beautiful animal. I never saw one before that, and never seen one since. That moment, no kidding, was a highlight of my life. Snakes are just so cool.

tim292stro

California Rattle Snake tastes like chicken. Crickets taste like peanuts and walnuts, only they crunch like popcorn. They will find out about that soon enough too I'm sure.

Now hear this:
:derailed:

:beer:

tim292stro

Everything is packed up and bidding has started on the shipment, so hopefully the cost will be comparable to the ones I had shipped out of Pennsylvania last spring. Again, this shipment contains:

• Qty 5x tan rapid entry vestibules
  • Qty 2x 103 tents (frame shell only)
  • Qty 1x tan 305 end wall that I'm missing from one of my main tents
  • A whole "spare" tan 305 with liner and harness

IMG_1702[1].jpg

Once this shipment gets here and I can inspect them, I'm going to pick the best two 305 shelters for the FOBIC project, and keep the worst of the three 305's I'll have for my bus roof tent (that's a ways out still). Other items will also start to come in over the summer - projectors, screens and screen stands (custom from Draper), lightweight tables, lightweight chairs, porta-potties, wash-basin parts (didn't want to buy the HDT version $$$). I'm still short some heaters, and I want to construct man-portable air conditioner units in the same footprint as the HDT SHC35 or SHC60 frame. Then it's time for lighting and automation, and solar panel builds. Bare SunPower cells are available for relatively cheap (a hair under $2 per cell at 3.5W each), and I can build my own panel configurations to meet my needs (weight, shape, connections, mounting system). It was actually accommodating the multiple solar panels on multiple tents and vehicles, as well as DC generators and battery packs that made the control and power bus so much "fun" to design. I had to be able to accommodate peak loads as well as peak power generation over a pair of 6AWG 24VDC power+ground wires, over a large sprawling camp. I'm hoping I can get a majority of this stuff running my the MVC show at the Fairgrounds this summer...

Day job is murder - I'm still working on three projects at once at work for 12+ hours a day. Lots of meetings right now though so I get time to watch SS forums. :mrgreen:

tim292stro

Go get some then [thumbzup] Start small: 103/203/303.

I have tentatively sold the wife on going camping with the 103 tent, what I consider a "hallway" in the full FOBIC setup - but you have to remember that it's still a 15'x9' tent with a 6' ceiling. Last spring we went across the country to see the inlaws (her family), and while out there we camped in a coleman family tent that they called an "8 person tent" (ha!). It didn't survive the trip - with a zipper failure resulting in a rain shell rip about four feet long, all on the morning we were packing out of Shenandoah National Forest. That tent lists for $270 (it was a gag gift one Christmas). If I took all of the tent square footage from this last purchase including shipping and divided the total cost against the tent square footage, the 103's cost me about $356 for essentially the same size tent. It will also very likely last more than one trip...

Once I have a chance to market the Base-X tents to my immediate family (wife/kids - the kids will be easy), it should also be easier to sell the rest of the family on the bigger tents for more frequent (annual/semi-annual) gatherings. and that's just one half of the family (my parents/brothers). I know the in-laws are looking for a camping outing where they won't have their gear soaked, and it'll be easier to get out of bed in the morning (not laying on the ground).

[EDIT:] One thing I didn't mention to this point - if you've ever gone backpacking or family car-camping, you will appreciate the value of the Base-X tent design the first time you put one up. No more threading poles (aluminum sectional, or fiberglass) through tent tarps while it's raining. The Base-X shell and frame go up first, dry side out and the liner goes in second already sheltered. They are also fairly easy to set up in wind. Lastly, no more missing pole pieces that you find out about during setup!! One time backpacking with my Boy Scout Troop, we got to a campsite and found that the shock-cord in one of our two fiberglass pole sets had snapped and a pole had escaped out the drawstring opening somewhere on the 20-mile trek we did that day. Fortunately the pole was a male end and someone's aluminum walking stick was about the same length when broken down for storage. A little duct tape and... MacGyver would have been proud [thumbzup]. Just more food for thought [/EDIT]

I "went big" early as I have a window and grand vision to work towards, and I'm willing to make other sacrifices to get there (and still keep the happy marriage :beer:). I'm certain you can find an excuse - err... reason to go camping in a Base-X tent up there. :mrgreen:

Last edited:

srodocker

I've seen a tent that you can back up a truck to and have accesss to the truck bed or storage. Have the # on that one? 356 for a 103? hrm!!! Wife and I decided a camper trailer is out of the question this year so we may go tent for 3 or so camping trips planned this year.

tim292stro

where can you buy these tents at?...
Classifieds here on Steel Soldiers, Government Liquidation, Craig's List, eBay, swap meets... the usual places. As with anything the faster and newer you want it the more you'll pay. If you can play the long game and be patient for good deals, they will almost fall in your lap (you do need to have a good idea of what you are looking for to find them though).

Srodocker, I am familiar with the "vehicle boots", most of the existing ones are for APCs and HMMWVs to various tent styles (cabin or dome). what I'm doing to allow the XM1027 with a S250 shelter in the bed to hook up to the side of the 103 "hallway" is a "roll-your-own" based on a rapid entry vestibule. You can get the temper tent vinyl from various sources to do this.

I will eventually also have to make a coupler for the bus to another 103 tent... :mrgreen:

View attachment COMMERCIAL_PRICE_LIST_FOR_WEBSITE_112315.pdf

[EDIT:] As you can see from the commercial pricelist attached here, I'm trying to get the whole setup built for about the cost of one new 305 shelter (about $15K), when looking at it like that, it's worth it for me to buy used/abused and do some moderate repairs and finding individual missing parts if necessary - I'm building this setup used for about 1/10 retail. If I bought at retail, it would cost about an entire year's salary for both my wife and I when all of the details were tied up! Much harder to sell that idea... [/EDIT]

Last edited:

tim292stro

Shipment is scheduled for a Monday pickup in VA. Pre-paid. Just took a look at the storage container this evening on the way home from work, and I'm in for a bit of work to cram the new arrivals... *sigh*

srodocker

Did you have a drawing of the layout you plan on doing? And different stages like a 1/2 camp or full camp setup?

Those vehicle ones would be perfect for either my wifes expedition or mine suburban. My 928 is to tall and would need a ramp of some sort. Sitting on the 1600 tires and a USMC ISO bed it sits really high maybe 5'. So right now you have me looking a 103 tent and 303 tents.

tim292stro

These models' geometry are a bit simpler than drawing up say... an M925.

Base-X_103.jpg
Base-X 103 - This is what we'll be doing the July camp-out with the family in "just to try it out"

Base-X_303.jpg
Base-X 303 - I'm only bringing this if we aren't somewhere that has bathrooms. This will always be my bathroom tent, never anything else (I don't know anyone who lives/eats in a bathroom).

Base-X_305.jpg
Base-X 305 - This would be what I'd bring if it was more than just our family, but still not a big "shindig". This is also what I would consider loaning to Clan MacFarlane at the Scottish Games if they desired.

So the "big" configuration is two 305's as the main living quarters, a 303 as a latrine/shower, and a 103 as a hallway.
Base-X_BigCamp.jpg

That kind what you were asking? Or were you looking for "options"?
Base-X_BigCamp2.jpg
Base-X_BigCamp3.jpg
Base-X_BigCamp4.jpg
Base-X_BigCamp5.jpg

Last edited:

srodocker

wow exactly what I was asking hahahahahah. Whats the height of a door opening on a 103? like a vehicle connector to a suburban or m928. I plan on doing more sand camping than anything else.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks