• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Forward Operating Base In-a-Can

tim292stro

Nope... most people that have them seem to hold onto them unless they were going to sell it anyway, or they found out they didn't have the space for it after a while. The usual places, and "word of mouth" is how I've done this so far - the deal I'm into now is word of mouth over the phone. Cautiously excited :).

I may be able to find the parts I need from a source, and get the 103 I want also later, so I'm not in too much of a rush...

tim292stro

Second 305 is now paid for, working on the details for the 303, should have that closed out tomorrow - not bad, I'm only in $2K for the last two big tents (305/303). I also found a surplus company on the East Coast that has Base-X parts, and the owner thinks he might have a full 300 series end-wall that I'm missing from one of the new tents - no word on price yet, but my fingers are crossed he'll be reasonable.

I also picked up another side to end door coupler kit, in case I decide to do the 103 still as a hallway. I have been stewing on it, even though it's not in the original plan, I'm thinking it might make for more options should I have to adapt my standard setup plan to accommodate a funny shaped camp ground, or if I want to surround the trailer with the S-250 slid into it so that I can integrate it into the full camp setup:

CampConcept.png

The above is roughly what I have in mind for the total clump of gear - the graphic above, while crude, is roughly to scale (1-pixel = 1.5"). Just need to find a 305 floor and the inner liner portion of the open end connector boot for the 300 series now. Even though I plan to have the 305s coupled end to end, I still want that end-wall available should I need to reconfigure the camp to "accommodate nature".

I should be able to post an update about the lighting a few weeks, some home computer problems had me busy for the last week or two and used up that time budget.

Almost there, it would be nice to close out one of my major projects...

Last edited:

turnkey

EMI tent shielding...You know something we don't...Used that stuff on US navy gear works great...But then we were expecting trouble....Sure this isn't a get out of the house for awhile kind of thing...You know the old lady on the warpath....Make sure you lots of beer and a big screen tv works for me...nice build..more pics needed.

tim292stro

The EMI shielding I've mentioned so far in this thread is merely to control RF emanations from the PWM controlled LED lighting strips, and to reduce RF emissions over the longer wire lengths to interconnect the tents...

At the low MHz range, having an array of long wires that are "banged on an off" is an EMI risk, and could interfere with the potential low MHz HAM stuff I want to do later within feet of the tent - it's hard to hear someone whispering 50 miles away when someone is yelling in your ear...

EMI != (not equal) EMP/HEMP. I think my wire lengths should be short enough to mitigate any of that risk anyway - I don't really plan to be plugged into an electrical grid, and the generator trailer that might be will have its own AC input filters for lightning etc...

tim292stro

The 303 is finally secured - now I need to worry about shipping... and then storage [thumbzup]

Tents + shipping on this project I look to be on track for right around $5K, about 1/3 retail on a single 305. I'm a happy guy :naner:

tim292stro

Also have 10x Grandstream GXP2120 VoIP phones on the way - I bought a surplus lot for $150 used. Two 10.1" LCD screens (1280x800) and two HDMI 1:2 splitters are already here (so I can see exactly what is on the projectors without a direct line of sight to the screens at the rack), so I'm getting closer to playing with the ToughBook which goes in the rack. I need the network switch to get that part of the fun up and running, and I do still need to do the modification to splice the docking stations into the drawer.

tim292stro

Tomorrow will find me receiving a new Yanmar 18HP 2-cylinder water cooled diesel engine for the trailer's DC generator. This will spin the 450Amp alternator (13kW) I bought from CBRMetalworks to charge the battery pack under the bed of the trailer, and power anything plugged into the NATO power port on it (including the S-250 shelter). It'll be auto-start/shutdown, and variable speed to reflect the load. Picked up the engine for a song, $880 new, and has the California Emissions sticker for 2004 (going into a trailer which will be titled as 1985).

tim292stro

Engine came today, perfect shape (it's actually brand new). I'm going to try to hook up with pfab to see about working up a crude frame to mount the engine and alternator. Working plan is four banks of two group 27 AGM 100Ah deep cycle batteries, roughly 2.8kWh at 75% discharge. I'm also working on renting another spot for a 20' ISO container at the lot, I had a disaster with the XM1027 project which a dry-freight container would have helped avoid, and it'll let me move more of my gear closer to where I need it.

A member has been talking to me via PM about a potential 305 liner not sure if we agree on pricing as of yet, but we'll see. It would be nice since he lives out where I'm going this summer for a family trip, which would save on shipping (with a grimace from the wife of course).

Last edited:

rustystud

Engine came today, perfect shape (it's actually brand new). I'm going to try to hook up with pfab to see about working up a crude frame to mount the engine and alternator. I'm also working on renting another spot for a 20' ISO container at the lot, I had a disaster with the XM1027 project which a dry-freight container would have helped avoid, and it'll let me move more of my gear closer to where I need it.

A member has been talking to me via PM about a potential 305 liner not sure if we agree on pricing as of yet, but we'll see. It would be nice since he lives out where I'm going this summer for a family trip, which would save on shipping (with a grimace from the wife of course).
When I first bought my land, I brought in a 35ft insulated container. My father and I used it as our staging area as I bought raw land and had to first clear it. After the house and out buildings where built I converted it to a parts storage facility, which has been it's function ever since.

Another Ahab

Maybe tell her it's an opportunity to connect and get to know some new people :)shrugs:):

- Sometimes playing the social card can get you buy-in from Momma.

tim292stro

One way or another, I don't want to have an incomplete tent, so this'll happen eventually - if I can work the deal the cash outlay will be lower than if I have to go to HDT directly (it's an eye-watering/bowel-loosening price from them for a new 305 "package 2").

It's the cash outlay that bugs her the most, I understand her position, but I'm trying (poorly) to defend mine. She still doesn't understand the whole "need for my vision", and I probably will have trouble articulating my vision's purpose in a way she agrees with until she already understands, at which point the need to explain will be moot. In my mind it's sound, and I believe I'll get some unexpected use out of it this summer at the Scottish Games in Pleasanton, CA (150th anniversary of the games this summer!).

One thing I do worry about in the back of my mind I guess is having her cross paths with another green addict's wife who doesn't understand it even as much as she does (or we meet after a family argument and it gets taken out on the hobby) - kind of like that hypothetical girlfriend of your wife who doesn't like you who is always poisoning your relationship... There was some initial skittishness from her when I first did a SS Classified buy in Indiana 2 years ago, meeting a total stranger based only on PM for a >$500 cash transaction. She thought it was the same as Craig's List ads, different demographic, and we have a good feedback system here so it sets some expectations, and you get an idea of how long someone has been around the community by their join date. Her dad accompanied me on that trip "as backup" (ha!) and was pleasantly surprised that the seller lived in a nicer neighborhood than he did and had nicer things in his garage...

Another Ahab

It's the cash outlay that bugs her the most, I understand her position, but I'm trying (poorly) to defend mine. She still doesn't understand the whole "need for my vision", and I probably will have trouble articulating my vision's purpose in a way she agrees with until she already understands, at which point the need to explain will be moot. In my mind it's sound, and I believe I'll get some unexpected use out of it this summer at the Scottish Games in Pleasanton, CA (150th anniversary of the games this summer!).
That's always good that Momma is tight with your money, somebody's go to do it. And truth is they're usually the best at it. Been that way since the world began I do believe.

But when you need to squeak past that expertise, you are always best served by some Old-Time Sy-Kol-O-Gee:

Make the VooDoo/
Work For You

voodoo.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks