• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Found 1951 M37....

ncreb

I have been looking for a dodge WC51 or WC52 for a while. I don't know why, because I am at a pretty low point financially now. I can't afford to play with the toys I have. Anyway. one of my coworkers showed up with a picture of a "Jeep" her cousin had for sale. Since I have a 1943 Willys MB she thought I'd be interested. Her "jeep" ended up being a fairly straight and complete 1951 Dodge M37. I went out Monday to see the beast. According to the owner her husband bought it and drove it regularly until he died unexpectedly 4-5 years ago. She also said they pulled mobile homes around on their property with it, and thay they drove it on the highway some. I took these pics while checking it out.

For those of you who know more about these things that I do. What would this "steel soldier" be worth? We are in the negotiating phase of the deal. And I'll have to sell some stuff to get it too. Anyone want a '51 Allis Chalmers CA?

Check the pics out and tell me what you think.

To answer some questions.
1. the engine was free. I put it in neutral and by applying pressure to the fan belt with one hand and turning the fan with the other, I was able to make the flywheel pulley on the end of the crankshaft turn. no issues.
2. I checked the oil. Oil level was good and oil was dark, not milky or brown from having water in it. No beading.
3. I checked the water. Good water level in radiator and it was still green with antifreeze.
4. I checked the air cleaner and carb and they looked good. little or no rust inside.
5. I did see one mouse, and actually took a picture of him, but did not see any evidence of chewing on the electrical. Still 24 volt.
6. All four tires were holding air and were about equally worn and some weather checking.
7. The glass all looked decent, maybe some fogging but it was hard to tell with all of the green growing on them. The passenger side windshield had a hairline crack running diagonally but appears intact. Easy replacement. It is just a flat rectangular piece of glass.
8. Had no way of checking fuel system, and the cab was infested with wasps.....grrrrr. I did not get to hang around long inside because of them for me to check the brakes.
9. I was shown an picture of the truck before I went over and the canvas top was still intact. When I asked about it she said that a recent rain storm had made it collapse, but the the material is obviously dry rotten.
10. overall light rust pitting not too bad. A few places of repair needed. Bottom of drivers side door rusted out. easy fix though. Inside floor was solid. Bed appeared pretty solid but I did not climb in it.

hmmmm I think that's about it

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like a very good candidate for restoration. Most of your major parts are there and everything appears to be stock (please don't tell me you're going to rip the engine out, put in a big block whatever and make it go a million miles an hour and trash it in the woods). This truck has the fording shroud on the carb; it has the pioneer rack, it has all the cab roof parts, it has all the fan shrouds and stock engine gear. All the correct lights and housings are there. The slave receptacle is intact. The dash is complete and the body looks straight; the left front headlight protector is easily replaced...

The seats can easily be rebuilt, I couldn't see the battery box and I didn't see a spare tire or mount in the bed. The side rail posts are still there and it looks like you still have the troop seat hardware.

This would be a great truck to restore. It could be a real beauty if you do it right and take your time.

Do you like driving slow?

If I was closer, and this truck was any kind of a reasonable price, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Good Luck! [thumbzup]

Storm 51

ncreb

There is a spare time mount in the bed, but it is not complete. There is no spare tire. There are also two rectangular holes cut in the bed. The troop seat hardware is complete minus the wood.
I think the following picture will help answer those questions.

I have no intentions of doing anything to it except try and put it back to its former glory. I like things to stay the way they come..

The crucial thing I need to know now is how much this beast is worth? What would be a good price to pay for it as it sits? I really need help with that information.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I'd start at $800.00 as a low ball offer and stop at around $1500.00 without hearing it run etc.

That rascal is in FAR better shape than my 51 M37 was when we started on it.[thumbzup]

Then again...it depends on how hard it is to find them in your area and how bad you want it.

Tanner

PB is in the ballpark for a M37 in this condition here in Central NC with no idea of engine condition.

'Tanner'

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Super find! Well worth the prices suggested above, I think. For instance, (it would be a shame to) but its well worth much more, if you part it out. Not suggesting that, mind you, but that wiii give you some idea of its value. Just price a Pioneer Rack. Spare tires are easy. Vintage Power Wagon has reproduction parts for the spare tire rack.

M715VFD405

I'm on the band wagon with everyone else so far, it's a great find and the price Pb said is a good way to start out. It needs A LOT of love but it wouldn't take much to have it out on the road, these are great trucks I'd love to find a M43 (the ambulance variant) in that shape around me.

Bill W

If you can get this truck for under $2k than ( I think ) its a great deal., As mentioned she's in really good/complete shape.
On second thought...maybe you should give me their ph # and address so I can go look at it in person and give them...er..YOU a better opinion of what its worth :whistle:

ncreb

picking it up tomorrow

Well, after selling some stuff on e-bay, craigslist, and some face to face sells coupled with what I had squirreled back, I am going to get it tomorrow about 1:30-2:00.

She started off asking $3,500. I knew that was WAYYYY more than I could swing, and what the truck was worth in my opinion. I tried $750 and she shot that right down. I told her that $1,000 would be the best I could do in my current situtation.
I have 2 kids...ages 5&3 and another due in about a month. My wife is on bed rest and out of work. I had to sell stuff in order to NOT touch our family accounts and resources to get that.

She told me she had someone looking at it for $3,000. I told her that I appreciated her time, and that she should call the fellow back and sell it to him. I gave her my number and left.

A few days leter she called back and told me she wanted to sell it to me, for $1,200. I told her appreciated it but I was struggling to get to $1,000. It only took about 15 seconds for her to tell me to come get it.

Maybe I should have stuck with $750:-D

I teach high School Agricultural Mechanics. We have restored several antique tractors, and that '43 Willys MB that I own, as well as an M-100 trailer. I am very optimistic about having this running pretty soon, as long as there are no major mechanical problems. My students are FIRED UP about working on it!

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congratulations! Your going to fit right in here. Keep us posted. Several things really looked good to me, about your "find". Little things.... like the gas tank had the cap still on it.... Etc

shootist

Up here if you can find a basket case they are between 3k-4k.
4k they are running but still a mess.
you got a great deal on that one. Good luck!

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, in Washington state, you probably wouldn't find one that nice and if you did it would probably be far north of 4K ( 5 to 8.5K wouldn't be unusual). If it had a winch it would definitely be at the upper end of that range.

You did very well. [thumbzup]

Good Luck with your restoration. I hope you and your students enjoy it. I hope your little ones (the 3 and 5 year old) get in on the fun too.

Get lots of pics! We are very visually oriented here. :jumpin:

Storm 51

3dAngus

You stole it.

Congratulations. Nice to see it bought and fixed rather than sitting and wasting away.

You cannot possibly lose any money out of that one, regardless of what you do, or don't do.

Your school will be proud when done with it. Be sure to put some big stars on it.

Hang an American Flag. All the kids will be proud of their work, and carry their pictures of it for a lifetime. Better than redoing an old corvette. (Well, unless it's a split window,....rofl)

ncreb

The M37 is in my yard!

I went and got the M37 today.
Tomorrow, first thing...pressure washing.
If am pretty confident that if I had a 24 volt battery I could turn it over tomorrow.
Gonna wire two 12 volts in series.
Is this thing positive ground or negative ground?

shootist

Congrats
It's neg ground
It uses 2 12v batts
Do your self a favor check all your wires before you
Power up so ya don't have a fire:wink:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks