• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Found 1951 M37....

ncreb

Runs like a top!

Got it off the trailer at school this morning, pressure washed the dirt, leaves,and mold off of it.
I drained about 5 gallons of old gas out of the tank. It was pretty funky.
I pulled the fuel line off of the fuel pump and put a temporary fuel line which went into a gas can with new gasoline.
Sprayed a little starter fluid in it, and after putting two twelve volt batteries in it, she fired right up!
It smoked for about a minute and then quit. It ran a solid 45 pounds of oil pressure at idle! Can't find any leaks.

I ran it around the bus parking lot a few times. All four gears work. High and Low work.

However.....the Breaks DO NOT WORK at all!

I am trying to post a video, that is if I can figure out how to get it off of my new cell phone.

ncreb

updated pics

Here is a picture of the old "steel Soldier" after two weeks of INTENSE shop time. When I pulled this dodge to my class and told the kids that I wanted to drive it in the upcoming "Farmers Day Parade" in home town they laughed.
After a few discriminating words of encouragement that only a high school shop teacher could utter, they set about breaking it down. The engine needed NO work...thank the Lord! We did have to rebuild the master cylinder, replaces all 4 wheel cylinders, and the soft break lines. I little bit of fuel tank cleaning, replacing fuel lines, filters etc.
The bed, fenders, hood grill, doors etc were removed, and stripped to bare metal....mostly. Some replacement panels were fabricated for rusted out areas which needed cutting out. They were welded in and ground smooth.

We managed to get it all back together, shoot a coat of paint on it and throw some stars to it. My little boy Michael and I along with two students DID drive it in the parade today! Lots of veterans came by and oohed and ahhed over it. I could not begin to count the pictures taken of it.

We are a long way from where we want to be, but it did get a lot of attention today.

Oh, I also put my 1917a1 and tripod in the bed.....just for kicks! It got about as much attention! Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics, but that was the best I could do.

Dodge man

NICE find Reb! I also have a '51 M37. You got a great deal IMO. Your's has a lot of parts that are near unobtainium. Whatever you do don't throw away or modify anything until you KNOW what it is, how rare it is and what it's worth. Even the bolts on the M37 are unique. Be sure to register your's with G741.org. I have a rusted out 37 for parts so I might be able to help your with the light protector. I don't check in here very often but PM if you have questions.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks