• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Found a 5 ton gasser.

Brian Thomas

I tracked this guy down and went over for a look.

My question is, What is a fair price for this truck. It is a 1958 Dimond T with the r6602 gas engine in it. The odometer read 1900 miles. By the looks of the truck it has to be a low mile unit but over the years who knows. It does run but has not run in a few years. Any help would be good.
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/e...MANCAVE116.jpg
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/e...MANCAVE114.jpg
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/e...MANCAVE112.jpg
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/e...MANCAVE121.jpg

Brian Thomas

It would run with a hour of work and some batterys. Has sat in the same spot for 3 or 4 years. Was driven in a parade and to a club meeting so i was told but I doubt the guy is lieing.

NEIOWA

It would run with a hour of work and some batterys. Has sat in the same spot for 3 or 4 years. Was driven in a parade and to a club meeting so i was told but I doubt the guy is lieing.
When you actually see/hear it run/move then it runs/moves. Until then it's a pile of scrap metal.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I would pay $1500.00 but no more...unless i could crank it up and drive it off. Gassers have a few more issues from setting then diesels...like carbs, fuel pumps, fuel tanks etc etc.

just my penney X 2

Brian Thomas

All the rubber is very nice and the truck has a new exhaust and fuel tank and all the wheel cyl have been replaced as well as the booster and the air compressor was changed before it was parked. It was parked while he built a shop for his othere wwII trucks.
I am just wondering if there is a fair market value for one its age and being a non converted gas truck.

Last edited:

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That looks like a "low mile" truck to me. Over the years here, I saw a lot of them. Get it running, and take it to the car wash, and you'll be real happy. That is, probably all except for the gas millage. That is one of the big reasons why industry didn't use too many of them. Changing to diesel helped them out a lot. But otherwise a nice truck. Can't really help on the price though.

Lee in Alaska

L

Brian Thomas

I saw that too. I didnt ask. I did ask what he want for it. He said about 2500 for it and I am sure it could be had for a bout 2000? It is just in the way and not a priority project any more.

He is not in a hurry to sell it, so I have a little time to round up the funds.

I dont know why I want it and the wife thinks I have something wrong with me for wanting another truck.

The reason I asked what its worth is because I dont want to pay for a truck that has no value or cant get rid of if it needed to go. i know the gas is not the hot engine but I do have the resources to do a repower with a later cummins if the project was worth the ivestment of the price.

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As much as I like the truck, it is the poster child of "can't get rid of it". If you don't want the 3 mpg and low power 6602, buy a 800 series with the Cummins to start with for the same money. This truck is kinda a museum piece, a tribute to the 1950's U.S. Army that needed more gasoline brought to the front lines than was humanly possible.

vtdeucedriver

Dont repower it, there is nothing wrong with the 6602. Yes the fuel milage sucks but if you want your money back out of it. Buy it, paint it 24087 and some collector may pick it up for what it is. Putting the cummings in it, you might as well put a dump bed on it and sell it to some construction outfit, that is if they want to buy a 50 yr old piece of equipment.

Not worth the time converting, now a ENDT-673...............well thats another story.

m139h2otruck

Unmolested cargo gassers have to be somewhat rare. Many were changed to LDS mult-fuels in the '60s and '70s. Nothing wrong with the big 6602, just likes lots of gas. Also, no other truck will catch you on flat going with the 2800-3000 rpm readline these engines will run. We shift ours @ 2800 all the time and with the 1400x20s will cruise down the road (empty and flat ground) at an easy 50-55 mph all day @ 2400-2500.

miltruckman

Low power?? My old M51, 5 ton dump was a beast!! It had lots of power and the R6602 engine was perfect for the truck. The only problem was, I only got 2 mpg, so after several years I reluctantly sold it.

There was a more efficient Zenith carb replacement for the old Holley it had on it. And I purchased one from naglitch in PA, but when I installed it the truck was a real dog. So I ended up swapping it back.

Bill

Monty

If you buy it swap out the carb, the Zenith is the way to go. I purchased one new off of ebay that was being sold from Saturn surplus for $75.00.

armytruck63

That is a sweet old gasser. The R6602 is a great engine that has gobs of torque down low where you need it as well as the ability to spin at almost 3000 RPM.

Sure it's a gas-hog, but how many miles per year would you be driving this truck? Let's say you put 500 miles a year on it. That would be 250 gallons of gas at 2 MPG. At $3.00 per gallon, you would be spending $750 for the 250 gallons of gas. If the actual mileage was 3 MPG, you would be spending $1 per mile on gas.

You could buy a lot of gas and have a lot of fun driving this truck for the price of an engine conversion.

91W350

We use this old 5 ton whenever there is a heavy object that needs help being reloacted, it is still a gasser... Very solid old truck, no rust, just seriously the wrong color! It was a GSA purchase at Manhattan, Kansas for 350 dollars, winch and all. We put batteries and brake fluid in it and drove it home, about 70 miles. Glen

Attachments

Brian Thomas

I am sure it would not see alot of driving, I am going to have to dig up some cash and get the monster. Even if i drove it 10 miles a year it would be nice to have and to look at.

Thanks for all the interest in this.

Btw. red or not that is a cool truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks