• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Found a broken bolt under the HMMWV please help me ID where it cam from

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Found the bolt below under my truck. Not 100% sure it came from the truck. Bolt is about 4" long and has a 9/16" head. Please help id this bolt.

Mark

20171016_143328.jpg

20171016_143319.jpg

20171016_143256.jpg

dilvoy

The two rear starter bolts are often over torqued, because of their large size. From memory they only get torqued to about 30 lb ft. Make sure that the starter is supported properly at the forward end by the stud that exits the starter body.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
definitely a GM style starter bolt with the special knurled finish on the bottom. Hopefully you have stub left to grab with vice grip. You have a tough job ahead of you.

All the best!

charlietango

Yep been there done that. Make sure that front bracket is on and snug when you get it back together (assuming the hmmwv used one like the CUCV’s) . Like mentioned above it can be quite the job to remove it if it’s broken flush as the threads mis-shape under torque- why you’re never supposed to re-use starter bolts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

papakb

This is one of two 10mm starter bolts. I have had bad luck with buying them from auto parts stores but have had very good luck with the original AMG parts I got from Dave Walker at Walker truck parts in Hesperia, California. I had one of these break and fall out of my truck one day when the truck was shut off and I was halfway thru filling the tank. All the sudden I hear this clink and when I looked under the truck there it was. It's a pure PITA to have to drop the starter and then easy out the remainder of the old bolt, just be extra careful not to damage the threads in the block. Make sure to use locktite when you put it back in and don't overtorque it or you'll end up doing this again.

charlietango

Oh yeah and make sure the threads are immaculately clean before sending them in with the loctite

snowtrac nome

First off that is a starter bolt 10mm x 1.75 thread pitch if I remember right. This is a common occurrence, a torque wrench is required to install the new one, I would not recommend lock tight on the threads or it will be a pia to get out next time it breaks. If you install them dry it usually only takes a reverse flute drill bit to pull them out.I found the most common reason for them breaking, is a loose , missing or broken nose mount. if one broke than replace them both and also inspect the flywheel ring gear.

charlietango

Blue loctite is okay in my opinion. I removed one that broke (before I discovered I was missing the front bracket)

MarkM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
UPDATE! As talked about it was a starter bolt namely the out board bolt. Was able to move the starter out of the way just enough that I did not have to disconnect the electrical connectors. was able to drill out and easy out the threaded portion of the bolt by using a new cobalt drill bit with a little cutting oil and the easy out. Found a grade 8.8 bolt to get her back together until I get to new starter bolts shipped in. So just where can I get these bolts in addition to the already recommenced vendor. Thanks for the help guys.

Mark

20171016_204916.jpg

20171016_204855.jpg

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought them at the GM dealer. They don't sell them in pairs. I think I had to buy 5.

You got lucky! I broke multiple drill bits on mine. It took forever and was one f the more frustrating things I've ever done.

MarkM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well they are grade 9.6 hardened bolts witch is equivalent to our grade 8 bolts so you really need a real hard drill to cut it properly. People usually don't use cutting oil when drilling and this is a huge mistake as with the cutting oil the bit cuts easier and stays much cooler and lasts a long time. Now if you snap an easy out bit in the hole then get ready for a huge problem LOL.

Mark

MarkM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you have the front bracket installed?

You mean the bracket that covers the nose of the starter and covers the flywheel access? If so then yes I removed it to move the starter far enough away to get at the bolt tip. I used a piece of wood and a jack stand to keep the starter up and out of the way.

Mark

MarkM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wonder what caused the breakageSent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is a huge heavy starter and secured just at one end. With all the bouncing/shock there is a good load on those bolts and if over tightened it puts a greater load in tension on the poor bolts. If there was a bracket at the tail end of the starter they would probably never break.

Mark

donkren

starter bracket.jpgThis is the bracket that should be on the front of your starter to help prevent the problem you had. If I remember right, it bolts to the engine mount. There is a stud on the end cap of the starter that will engage the hook shaped hole - helps in reinstalling the starter too.

Last edited:

MarkM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh my, I don't have that bracket. Looks like I have to order one of those. Thank you very much.

Mark

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 704356This is the bracket that should be on the front of your starter to help prevent the problem you had. If I remember right, it bolts to the engine mount. There is a stud on the end cap of the starter that will engage the hook shaped hole - helps in reinstalling the starter too.
Thats the new style HD one, much better than the thin one, but the thin one is better than nothing.
It mounts to the motor mount cast bracket.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks