• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Found a bunch of winches...big ones!

Twinpinion

Oops, my bad. Looks like the cable would run kinda funny if you used it in front. I guess you could remove the auto tensioner and winder. Probably better with a boom out back.

Dieselsmoke

Never pulled with mine, but my buddy did with his a few years ago and it wasn't fast but it wasn't stopping until the sled operator dropped the pan.

Twinpinion

Dieselsmoke said:
When did you hook your M35 to the Terminator?? I'd recognize that sled anywhere LOL

Diesel Power Challenge at LACR in Palmdale, CA. The Macetti (sp) brothers that run The Terminator are a riot. It was loaded light that day for the built 3/4 and 1-ton trucks that were running. I went last just for kicks and grins. I ran in 6x6, high-range, second gear. The deuce would easily do a full pull (300 ft) with the weight that was on the sled at the time. I layed into it pretty good at right at the start but then realized I could just pick the rpm I wanted so I slowed down. That's when he went a little easy on me thinking it was stopping me. I just went slow. Anyway I made it to the end and it would have made a full pull even if he didn't clutch it. At least with the weight that was on the sled at the time. I'm sure he could stop a deuce with additional cement and steel blocks in the sled.

Attachments

Dieselsmoke

LOL, cool. Wanted to enter the Ford in that but was too busy at the time and didn't want to drive that far either.
Massetti's are awesome, they put together some awesome events and are a lot of fun...I've got video somewhere of them taking the trucks and trailers (one being the ticket booth) around the track at the speedway in Ukiah. Got to know Brian pretty good when we had a test & tune at his place in Madera years ago...popped a head gasket so was stuck there at his place for a while LOL
You are right, that sled will stop a deuce. It has no trouble stopping 2200HP smoke tractors, there are actually spikes that will pop out the bottom of that pan, once they dig in you are done. One of the nicer sleds around...unfortunately places to pull seem to be drying up.
So we'll proably be seeing another deuce in Diesel Power Magazine, haven't got the new issue yet.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Hey Twinpinion, Are you the guy I met at the DMV a few weeks ago in Newhall? If so we'll have to get together and play with our trucks! Shoot me a PM. Devin

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Everette Doyle took his M328 bridge truck to a pull once. Now the old bridge trucks like his weight 30,000#, have 14.00x20 tires and the torque monster of all, the R6602. The sled was set up for heavy super stocks and the truck couldn't be stopped. Of course it's got AWD and heavy but the drawbar pull on a gasser M328 is astonishing.

nevrenufhp

Twinpinion said:
I found these near me. Look brand new. Anyone ever messed with one of these. Looks kinda big...1,220 pounds, and the PTO input is on the wrong side but that's still possible to overcome. Sooo, too big?

http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=907049&convertTo=USD
Arent those the ones that are on the front of the M900 series 5 tons? I remember our wrecker had one like that(with the level wind).

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know very little about these tractor pulls, but one question, what is the load in the bed of the deuce? Increase the load and you'll increase the traction.

Twinpinion

nevrenufhp said:
Twinpinion said:
I found these near me. Look brand new. Anyone ever messed with one of these. Looks kinda big...1,220 pounds, and the PTO input is on the wrong side but that's still possible to overcome. Sooo, too big?

http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=907049&convertTo=USD
Arent those the ones that are on the front of the M900 series 5 tons? I remember our wrecker had one like that(with the level wind).
It looks a lot like the one on the 10-tons posted here:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=6071

Probably way to big for the front of a deuce...but in the back, up through the bed?...I'm trying to talk a guy from work into buying one too (I don't wanna be the only sucker with a winch that's too big). I just wanna see what they end up going for. At $50-$200 the things are worth the steel to recycle! Can't pass that up.

Twinpinion

cranetruck said:
I know very little about these tractor pulls, but one question, what is the load in the bed of the deuce? Increase the load and you'll increase the traction.
Yes. But depending on the class you run there are weight limits. The sled was set up for 3/4 and 1-ton daily drivers so it was pretty light that day.

Twinpinion

m.walker said:
I wonder how much they go for or will the surplus companies buy them all ?
Yep...that's what it looked like. Looked like the same guy came in and started bidding the same amount on each one. Some sold way lower, others did not close on time. If it said it closes at 6:00PM Eastern why do they keep some (most) of them open a little longer (up to 30 min). It seemed like everytime I bid they added 6-12 min to the time left. That sucks! They got into the low to mid $600 range before I decided to quit and stick with the one I got, just needs two new seals. These were missing the lower fairleader anyway and I wasn't quite sure what I was gonna do without it. Still, $600 for a $6,200 new winch is a deal. Congrats if anybody got one. From what I could tell they are probably rated somewhere around 50,000-60,000 pounds. Now all I need is the PTO...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The bids close after 15 minutes of no activity. As long as folks bid, the clock will keep resetting. Gets GL the most money and all but eliminates snipe bidding

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks