• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Found a chunk of metal after oil change on my M923A1

Spiralout

Does it smoke excessively, significant blow-by, how is oil pressure?

if oil pressure good, how is power? If all is good, you could take compression readings on cylinders to confirm rings are good.
It's running right now, oil pressure is 65-70psi at 140 degrees. No smoking after it warms up, there is a little while it's cold. I'm not familiar with how to test blow-by. Power seems good to me after it's warm, but I don't have another example to compare it to.
Here's a video of what it sounds like, not sure if this will be helpful. Engine was at about 120 degrees when this was taken, it gets quieter at normal operating temp http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums...loads/2015-11/20151108_124600_zpsbvl88asq.mp4

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is a bearing or bushing. The engine sounds good, so a rod should ruled out. it could be a main bearing, after it warms up, look for heavy smoke out the breather, it will smell burnt. Sometimes an 855 will run with a spun main and have no noise. It could also be an accessory drive bushing or a compressor bearing. Does the engine have a new, unpainted compressor or the component directly on the front of the compressor? If so, it could be leftovers from a failure that has been repaired
Also, just for future reference, the C series in the 5t trucks have a different bearing composition than an 855. When the rods or mains spin it soes not extrude copper like the 855 does but rhe compressor will.

Spiralout

The compressor and attached parts are all black like the engine. I'll check to see if I can tell if it's newer than the other components. I've never seen the truck smoke excessively, only small amounts when cold.

All this learning is dangerous, I'm already plotting to build some sort of gantry crane to get the engine out if I have to!

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it is a main or rod bearing can't they be replaced in-frame?

(No, I don't know which is kind of why I'm asking.)

wcuhillbilly

Yes you can do an inframe on an 855 depending on what exactly is needed... Ive swapped out the mains and rods (bearings) on a few worn out small blocks inframe, by using some banding strap to gently tap the upper bearing around the crank to snake it out.. Or,,, drop the crank via straps through the cylinder holes.... but that requires dropping the trans too,,,, big PITA no matter how you go about it..

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If a bearing has spun, the crank is junk. The smoke you are looking for will be coming from the blow-by tube, not the stack. Replacing a crank in frame is more work than pulling the engine. the complete engine needs to be suspended in place, trans, flywheel housing and the complete front end need to come apart.

AZK9

I'm not 100% certain this will help, but I don't think there is always going to be an actual "blow-by-tube".

Not being a mechanic, but having read a lot recently... I think that the term 'Blow-By' pretty much means that when engine rings, pistons and cylinders get worn down, a certain condition occurs. This condition happens when the air/fuel mix get compressed and combustion happens. When the resulting gases are blown past, or by the rings and pistons they can go into the crankcase. Once inside the crankcase, pressure can blow oil and/or smoke out of any weakpoints. Sometimes it's the slobber tube, oil fill cap, dipstick hole, or places like that.

I think 'blow-by' is more of a condition that can cause smoke, or oil drip wherever it can find a way out of the engine. Again no expert here. But, hope that helps a bit.

Spiralout

I think you're right. This is the only indication of a problem I've ever seen. I'll change the oil again at an accelerated schedule and see if anything more comes out.

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
uploadfromtaptalk1447205781366.jpg That's not a chunk, these are chunks, lol. Oh and breezing through the thread I saw someone ask if the pistons are aluminium, uploadfromtaptalk1447205903267.jpg they are.