• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Found a Cummins 5.9bt for sale

motormayhem

Patracy, I have to ask. Why would you say an auto for towing? That is the #1 place I would definatly not want an auto.

Also, You guys know alot about dodge 47r's, Whats needed to run a 47rh in all speeds w/ a functinal lockup
I think you need to do some valve body work as well to get it to lock in 2nd not sure about 1st.

motormayhem

sorry, I ment for 4 speeds to work correctly and have lock up as it would in the dodge. Not lock up in all gears.
Oh, Not sure exactly as mine is in a dodge, but my friend has one in a grand chrokee and I think instead of having the computer to do the torque converter lockup and OD shift he has it on switches. So he shifts 1-3 (manual valvebody) then he flips a switch and it goes into OD and then he flips another switch and it locks up. It can be wired manually, but you would want some sort of failsafe so if you had it on a switch it doesn't stay in OD when it downshifts out of 3rd and what not. Thats why he has a manual valvebody.

idM1028

$1,000 seems pretty good for a 6BT. Out of curiosity, does it have the Bosch VE or P pump? As for transmissions, stick shift all the way :driver: The TH400's can be built up to handle quite a bit of oomph, but you could probably find a junkyard NV4500 for cheaper. After being offered a pretty nice WJ Grand Cherokee with around 100K miles and a bum automatic for $1,000, I think I'll stay away from Chrysler automatics, thank you. Just my $0.02 and it seems like they're getting better... Only bad thing I've heard about the NV4500's is there's all of 2 or 3 oils you can use in them and the amount needed to do an oil change will set you back about $100. As far as actually putting the engine in the truck, I could've sworn you needed to lift it up at least 4 inches.

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Patracy, I have to ask. Why would you say an auto for towing? That is the #1 place I would definatly not want an auto.

Also, You guys know alot about dodge 47r's, Whats needed to run a 47rh in all speeds w/ a functinal lockup
Ever operated a heavy load in heavy stop and go traffic? The ability to retain boost pressure is nice as well for hill climbs.

3 wires, one wire for 12v +, two for grounds. (OD and TC lockup)

ODdave

Ever operated a heavy load in heavy stop and go traffic? The ability to retain boost pressure is nice as well for hill climbs.

3 wires, one wire for 12v +, two for grounds. (OD and TC lockup)
Yup, Rush hour traffic in Chicago a few times, with +/- 13k on it. Stick worked great. I can see your point about boost but my truck will pull 30lbs in the snap of your fingers.

Thanks for the wire info, Now I just need to find a schematic.

Vet89

After sleeping on it, I am NOT going to buy this. It is more than I want to spend right now.

If any member is interested, PM me - we can swap emails/telephone numbers and I will get you in contact with the fellow today.

Iceman3005

ODdave there are several ways to have overdrive and lock up work. First off the first three gears are all hydraulic just like the turbo 400, overdrive and lockup are controlled electric over hydraulic. A two way hydraulic switch can be put into the governor port that is set too go off at about 50 psi (one psi per one mile per hour increase), with an electric switch on it too trip overdrive and lockup, and then have it set to release at around 45 psi to unlock torque converter and overdrive. Also could put a relay on the brake switch to disengage lockup when the brake is pressed, makes stopping a little easier, I have the brake switch relay setup on my 700r4. Like mentioned earlier could also just put two switches in the cab for the lockup and overdrive.

Preacherboy

Until you posed the question, I was going to go with the TH400 3 speed automatic. The seller/Napa employee said it would need an adapter plate which was in the store stock.
I would like to know a little bit more of the "in stock" adapter plate to match a GM transmission to a 6bt Cummins engine...

Please, please tell me more about this!

There are only 2 adapter plates that I know about, from destroked, about $1000 and from an old panel van (then the engine has a 7 degress tilt).

I want to know about the one Napa has in stock!

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah, there's no part off the shelf for this. The only sources to go from a cummins block to a chevy bolt pattern are the adapter plates from a frito lay truck, a destroked plate, and there's one other manufacture in AZ that cast them at one time.

Preacherboy

Yeah, there's no part off the shelf for this. The only sources to go from a cummins block to a chevy bolt pattern are the adapter plates from a frito lay truck, a destroked plate, and there's one other manufacture in AZ that cast them at one time.
Maybe vet89 has an answer for this question...maybe there is some super secret Napa in Iowa that has a magical part that we don't know about...chances are, the Napa salesman with the "excellent Cummins for a $1,000" and the "off-the-shelf adapter plate" was blowing smoke up vet's backside.

Generally a 6bt in or our of a vehicle is around $2,000; I've only seen non-running or a long block for $1,000. Even people "hurting" for money usually want more than a grand. The deal sounds fishy to me vet, I'd stay away. That is, unless you can find us the Napa adapter plate! I'd love a Napa adapter plate because I'd put a 6bt Cummins in front of my suburban's 4L80e.

Vet89

Maybe vet89 has an answer for this question...maybe there is some super secret Napa in Iowa that has a magical part that we don't know about...chances are, the Napa salesman with the "excellent Cummins for a $1,000" and the "off-the-shelf adapter plate" was blowing smoke up vet's backside.

Generally a 6bt in or our of a vehicle is around $2,000; I've only seen non-running or a long block for $1,000. Even people "hurting" for money usually want more than a grand. The deal sounds fishy to me vet, I'd stay away. That is, unless you can find us the Napa adapter plate! I'd love a Napa adapter plate because I'd put a 6bt Cummins in front of my suburban's 4L80e.
I will ask the questions and try to get photos for any interested - not in his defense, but perhaps he had the adapter plate in the store. I will be down that way in a bit to pick up a part for the doghead relay and camera in hand.

Atwater

the only 'fab' work i had to do in my 08 to swap in the nv4500 was to cut the hole for the shifter, adjust the linkage for the t-case shifter and wire in the sender for the reverse lights
i used the hyd pedals and master from an 89' ( same body style as the cucv)
got some line adapters + braided brake line from Pegasus racing and hooked up to the hydraulic throwout bearing that came with the nv4500 (out of an 04 chevy with a 6.0)
if i had it to do again i would have stayed with an auto. my knees tend to bother me.2cents

ODdave

There out there. I bought a complete 4x4 dodge with a 4500 and cummins for $1000, another 2wd dodge with 4500 &cummins for $1400 and just bought a 92 6bt complete with intercooler 152k miles for$650 last month. Just have to know where to look.

Vet89

"Will" is the seller. He can be reached at PottzRacing@gmail.com. If you want his phone number, pm me.

He said it is a 6bt 5.9l, 12v with the p7100 Bosch, Price includes the pump, exhaust manifold and turbo. He also said there is the Chrysler adapter plate with it for the 47h or if you want the th400 it is the s-82 bell housing.

(btw i am not getting a commision for this)

here are photos for anyone that is interested - give him an email and I hope it works out for whoever gets this.

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
That is a specatular deal if that's a good running engine. There's more in parts than $1K.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks