• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

found a deuce to buy, have questions!

redjordan

Hello guys again,

Found a possible deuce I am looking at. He is asking $4500, not sure on the year, but it has a plate inside that says it was completely gone over in 1989. It has 8000 miles and about 252 hours since then. Cosmetically its fine except the seats, a bit of rust/rot on the doors, everything else looks decent.

It has the winch, but he said the alum pin that is in there got sheared off? I am not sure how the winches work, so any insight here would be appreciated.

Anyway, I am really feeling this truck, it has the "Whistler" turbo, brakes are perfect. The only major downside is it is not registered, and never has been, so I have to go to the DMV and see what the deal is. Who do most of you use for insurance?

Any things to look for when I go back and look at the truck again? The oil pressure gauge is broken, probably the sender, but truck fired right up and sounds healthy.

Thoughts? What to look for? Good deal?

ABN173

I would look here: 100Dollarman - Military Surplus Home! He is a member here and frequently get thank yous for good deals/service.

You can probably save a $1000 at least unless you want a bobbed one from him. plus paperwork will be straight. He is in Cali too.

Good luck,
Dale

*edit by mapquest he is just under 4 hours from you, even if you don't buy a truck from him he would be a great source for parts.

Last edited:

redjordan

He is awesome, I have talked to him. But this truck has really low hours and a working winch, something like this from him would be 2 or 3 thousand more.

barnetc1

deuce

Just bought a deuce 70 model that sounds just like the one your looking at. Paided 3000.00 for , the only thing is the oil gauge. I would feel better about a truck that i knowed what oil pressure is. Also my truck had no title, called police department came out run vin, had paper work in 5 minutes and went to get tag. Dont know how it works were you live. Good luck...[thumbzup]

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
He is awesome, I have talked to him. But this truck has really low hours and a working winch, something like this from him would be 2 or 3 thousand more.
You mentioned that the winch had a failed shear pin. I would not necessarily believe that the truck you are interested in has a working winch. I would make him install a new correct aluminum shear pin and demonstrate that the winch works, before you purchase. Make sure the correct pin is installed, as there is a reason the shear pins are made of aluminum.

Blood_of_Tyrants

You mentioned that the winch had a failed shear pin. I would not necessarily believe that the truck you are interested in has a working winch. I would make him install a new correct aluminum shear pin and demonstrate that the winch works, before you purchase. Make sure the correct pin is installed, as there is a reason the shear pins are made of aluminum.
What he says. At least put a 1/4" bolt and demonstrate that it will pull at least a load of a couple thousand pounds. I believe that the gears in the winch are brass and will shear.

BTW, pay no attention to the miles. Engines and odometers and tachometers are changed out with new units and the old mileage is not recorded.

redjordan

what is the sheer pin there for? I am not familiar with how these winches work, and what would cause it to sheer? I know it is a fuse of sorts, but what kind of failure would cause it to shear off.

Pinz25086

The shear pin is the "fuse". If you put to much strain on the winch, the pin fails first to save the winch from getting very costly!

Wayne

100dollarman

Thats not a bad price as long as you can deal with the shear pin, OP gauge, and paperwork (all do-able)

I usually advise my customers to go by the condition of the truck as much as, or more than what the miles/hours say.

And just for comparison- we sell a decent runner for $4000 with SF97 and bill of sale. Add $1500 for same truck with winch. (I have nothing with a winch rt now)

Good luck![thumbzup]

littlebob

Look at the whole truck. My truck had similar hours and a has a lot of other issues. Look at all the things that need to be replaced soon and do the research. Ask yourself questions about the following: Tires, Glass/windshields, wiper motors work, brakes work?
Have neutral party check it out with you. I looked at some trucks locally when
jluv1185 wanted to bid on and I scrutinized them more than I did/do for myself.

bajajoaquin

Thats not a bad price as long as you can deal with the shear pin, OP gauge, and paperwork (all do-able)

I usually advise my customers to go by the condition of the truck as much as, or more than what the miles/hours say.

And just for comparison- we sell a decent runner for $4000 with SF97 and bill of sale. Add $1500 for same truck with winch. (I have nothing with a winch rt now)

Good luck![thumbzup]
Hey, Hundy. You comment about the paperwork is "doable." I've got a line on a cheap deuce by me that also wasn't titled.

Do you know the procedure for getting the paperwork together if the previous owner was a dolt and didn't get it done?

Or for other California owners: is there an issue if you are buying the truck from someone other than Gov Liquidation without a title?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks